Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

22 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

More like he feels that coming off an injury plagued 2021 season, he is confident enough in himself to command a better contract than if he signed before this season.  He's betting on himself to have a great season.  He's not leaving Baltimore if he plays like he thinks he will.  

Sure now that's the case, but he wasn't injured until week 14 last season.  At the latest he should have gone to the Ravens for a new contract right after Josh got his and gotten one done well before he got injured.  I just don't believe that the Ravens didn't tell him what they're willing to give him after Josh got paid, and it was far less that what he thought he deserved, which is what led to the radio silence from him (I think the same thing happened with Mayfield). 

But yes, now that he's injured, he's going to have to prove he can stay healthy and can play well.  Before getting injured last year he had 18 total TDs to 13 INTs.  And even then, if he does both, they can franchise him. 

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

More like he feels that coming off an injury plagued 2021 season, he is confident enough in himself to command a better contract than if he signed before this season.  He's betting on himself to have a great season.  He's not leaving Baltimore if he plays like he thinks he will.  

Guaranteed money in a new contract is what is probably most at risk, right?

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ganesh said:

I believe that is incorrect.  Lamar has chosen not to negotiate yet with the Ravens.  It is not stalled by any means when it has not even started.

This can’t be the case.  Besides reports of negotiations between him and the team, why would Lamar have held himself out of voluntary OTAs if he wasn’t even negotiating yet?  That makes no sense at all. 

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

That would be bold given that we don't know what will happen with the Watson situation

Mayfield would probably never suit up for the Browns ever again, even if he isn’t traded.

The Browns royally (tr)ucked Mayfield.

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

That would be bold given that we don't know what will happen with the Watson situation

Not really.  Mayfield has made it clear he won't play for them again so why keep that hanging around their heads?  And again if they keep him the best they can hope for is a late-3rd round comp pick in 2024.

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

This can’t be the case.  Besides reports of negotiations between him and the team, why would Lamar have held himself out of voluntary OTAs if he wasn’t even negotiating yet?  That makes no sense at all. 

Is this sarcastic?

Many players who have no contract issues pending skip VOLUNTARY OTAs.  There can be a variety of reasons for this.  

53 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Is this sarcastic?

Many players who have no contract issues pending skip VOLUNTARY OTAs.  There can be a variety of reasons for this.  

You can’t be serious.  Please list all of the starting QBs without contract issues that did this.  From what I can find that list for this off-season is Brady and Rodgers, who obviously do not need the practice.  Also QBs Kyler Murray (contract issues) and Baker Mayfield (excused, team trying to trade).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/which-nfl-players-are-sitting-out-otas-lamar-jackson-kyler-murray-among-stars-not-at-offseason-activities/amp/

Edited by BarleyNY

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Not really.  Mayfield has made it clear he won't play for them again so why keep that hanging around their heads?  And again if they keep him the best they can hope for is a late-3rd round comp pick in 2024.

Browns replaced the guy who said he would never play for them again with the guy who said he would never play for his last team.....then molested dozens of women.

Haslam easily the worst owner in the league 

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Browns replaced the guy who said he would never play for them again with the guy who said he would never play for his last team.....then molested dozens of women.

Haslam easily the worst owner in the league 

After that contract, I'm sure even the other owners would agree.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

The divorce happened when they signed Watson.  The final paper work just got screwed up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/26/2022 at 3:56 AM, Albany,n.y. said:

With the Watson deal in the bag,  Lamar is looking at losing a guaranteed contract of $250M if he chooses not sign an extension with the Ravens right now.   

It is amazing how we got lucky with the Josh Allen contract.  On the flip side we have had to pay the premium for Miller and  for extending Diggs.    We will also be paying higher for Poyer,  Knox and possibly Edwards. 

8 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

You can’t be serious.  Please list all of the starting QBs without contract issues that did this.  From what I can find that list for this off-season is Brady and Rodgers, who obviously do not need the practice.  Also QBs Kyler Murray (contract issues) and Baker Mayfield (excused, team trying to trade).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/which-nfl-players-are-sitting-out-otas-lamar-jackson-kyler-murray-among-stars-not-at-offseason-activities/amp/

Well, I wasn't restricting myself to QBs, but you YOU JUST NAMED TWO QBS who didn't attend OTAs.  Do you really think Jackson needs the "practice" that occurs in OTAs?  He is the unquestionable starter for the Ravens as has been in that system for three years. He won an MVP in that offense. I'm sure he doesn't need the limited practice they manage to get in OTAs. It's most valuable for rookies and new players to the system. Now, to be sure, I'd like every player to be there, even if they don't need the practice. But we know that isn't always the case.

Also keep in mind, Jackson is his own agent. That is particularly unusual, especially for a starting QB. He marches to the beat of a different drummer than the "typical" NFL player. Why assign the logic and motivations of the typical player?  Doesn't make sense to me. Nobody in the organization, including Jackson, seems to have any serious concerns with the situation. 

“He is a unique cat, and what are you going to do with a guy who wants to be unique?” Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said at the NFL league meetings in March. "You don't browbeat him into being a conformist.

https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/56056/inside-the-different-paths-lamar-jacksons-contract-can-take-with-the-ravens

So if I was a Raven's fan I wouldn't be all that stressed out, at the moment. Everyone is saying the right things and nobody involved (as far as I can see) is fretting over the contract negotiation at the moment.

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The divorce happened when they signed Watson.  The final paper work just got screwed up.

And by “final paperwork”, I assume you mean the whole thing from start to finish. Lordy! What a mess! But yeah, it was over. 

I really feel for Brown’s fans. I honestly think they provide their fans with far more anguish than the drought. “We suck” is one thing. “We should be good but keep finding ways for our criminal owner to screw it up”…..is something else.  

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.