Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

In hindsight it's still pretty surprising that Mayfield went #1 overall and despite all the talk about him playing injured last year the Browns didn't hesitate to move on from him and give up the farm for a guy that could still be suspended for a good chunk of the upcoming season and has even bigger character/off the field question marks that the guy he'll be replacing.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, RussellDopeland said:

Since the market for Mayfield isn't exactly vibrant, maybe the Bills should think about it- he could be this year's Trubisky.

I'd think a trade offer of...maybe Case Keenum, and let's say a 7th rounder, might be enough to get it done.

tenor.gif

I think the Bills would rather have Keenum, for the role that he will play. Also, they can’t absorb his salary. The Browns would need to eat almost all of it.

13 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

In hindsight it's still pretty surprising that Mayfield went #1 overall and despite all the talk about him playing injured last year the Browns didn't hesitate to move on from him and give up the farm for a guy that could still be suspended for a good chunk of the upcoming season and has even bigger character/off the field question marks that the guy he'll be replacing.

How is it surprising he went #1 overall?  Heisman winner, big program, threw for a ton of yards, best resume of any QB in his class.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, RussellDopeland said:

Since the market for Mayfield isn't exactly vibrant, maybe the Bills should think about it- he could be this year's Trubisky.

I'd think a trade offer of...maybe Case Keenum, and let's say a 7th rounder, might be enough to get it done.

tenor.gif

So we traded for Keenum, restructured his deal and lowered his cap hit only to trade him back to the Browns for a guy with a 19 millon dollar contract that we would have to restrucure to get under the cap?  Baker has a fully guaranteed deal for next year and would be under no pressure to lower it. He might even play this year as watson almost certainly will be suspended.  Baker could show up and be the big boy and make a trade market for himself if a team finds itself without a qb like the Saints did last year

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I'm still shocked the Texans didn't maneuver for him in the trade.  Maybe they'll take him after he gets cut?

Didn't want him...honestly how much better is he than Davis Mills? Mills sucked early in the year but he came on and played pretty well down the stretch for them.

4 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

He is, in fairness - he’s a much better QB than the mocking on here would suggest (albeit not number one in the draft over Josh). What teams don’t want to do is pay the amount the Browns are asking for him.

Of course not.  Do you have any idea how much it would cost to delouse and remove the stench?

2 hours ago, RussellDopeland said:

tenor.gif

Their cap situation may not allow it but I wonder if the Giants would make a move to get Mayfield. Jones hasn't exactly proven to be "the guy" and Taylor is nothing special. Mayfield would certainly be an upgrade over those two.

I am flabbergasted that an average QB with a little personality stank on him is undesirable while a QB with 22 sexual assault civil lawsuits and a suspension hanging over his head has teams throwing picks and money at him and his former team. 

“Talent” trumps all. I guess

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JDubya76 said:

I am flabbergasted that an average QB with a little personality stank on him is undesirable while a QB with 22 sexual assault civil lawsuits and a suspension hanging over his head has teams throwing picks and money at him and his former team. 

We’ll, the NFL, by and large has been morally bankrupt for some time now, so it should come as no surprise to anyone that this sort of thing is SOP. 

Do remember billionaires & multi millionaires have a different idea of what is acceptable than the peasant class does…, you know, “ let them eat cake” comes to mind…, 

10 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Baker is a better QB than Wentz or Darnold who also were in  bad contract situations.  The Browns messed up incredibly badly if they end up with a 7th rounder for Mayfield when Wentz and Darnold went for seconds.

It's all about timing. I guarantee that Washington would rather have Mayfield than Wentz, but they already made their move. 

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

We’ll, the NFL, by and large has been morally bankrupt for some time now, so it should come as no surprise to anyone that this sort of thing is SOP. 

Do remember billionaires & multi millionaires have a different idea of what is acceptable than the peasant class does…, you know, “ let them eat cake” comes to mind…, 

Haslam's the first with his back against the wall when the revolution comes!

image.thumb.jpeg.0acb33805a12f3fa0a24eb61b4b67d03.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JDubya76 said:

Watson has had one top 10 passing season.  We'll see what happens. 

4 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

It's all about timing. I guarantee that Washington would rather have Mayfield than Wentz, but they already made their move. 

It' hard to overstate how stupid WFT was for jumping on Wentz so quickly and paying what they did for a guy likely to be cut.  Mayfield would have been better.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.