Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, CSBill said:

“no one’s trying to do the #Browns any favors in this situation.”  GOOD! The Browns management has worked hard to be the most loathed team in the NFL. They win.

As for Baker Mayfield, this has actually done the opposite for him: He is now viewed with great sympathy. Who can fault him for wanting to get out of there?

I suppose by some people. but I doubt by most in the NFL.  Yes, the Browns were/are a dysfunctional clusterfu#k.  Mayfield was part of that dysfunction, not apart from it.  Publicly dumping on your ex head coach, complaining about lack of support when your team makes a really solid roster with terrific WRs and RBs isn't going to endear you to most teams, IMO.  I hope this anti-process player stays very far from the Bills.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I’m not so much a fan of Baker, but Mayfield should show up in Cleveland in a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops, with a cooler, beach chair, and umbrella, sit on the sideline applying sunscreen…, all under the guise of “recouping from injury”, jmo of course…, 😁

That would be epic--and would be a great theme for the next commercial.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I’m not so much a fan of Baker, but Mayfield should show up in Cleveland in a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops, with a cooler, beach chair, and umbrella, sit on the sideline applying sunscreen…, all under the guise of “recouping from injury”, jmo of course…, 😁

He should show up wearing a Ben Simmons mask with a heating pad on his back.  “All this stress caused an injury to my back that no one can diagnose.  So now I have to sit out due to mental and physical injuries”.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

I suppose by some people. but I doubt by most in the NFL.  Yes, the Browns were/are a dysfunctional clusterfu#k.  Mayfield was part of that dysfunction, not apart from it.  Publicly dumping on your ex head coach, complaining about lack of support when your team makes a really solid roster with terrific WRs and RBs isn't going to endear you to most teams, IMO.  I hope this anti-process player stays very far from the Bills.

Seriously.  They stacked that offense and Mayfield was the main reason they sucked.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Seriously.  They stacked that offense and Mayfield was the main reason they sucked.

Nope. I listened to Skip Bayless and he is confident that Baker is great .. .. maybe right below Josh Allen though Josh has to prove more to him

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Nope. I listened to Skip Bayless and he is confident that Baker is great .. .. maybe right below Josh Allen though Josh has to prove more to him

We all know skip is mentally handicapped. He shouldn’t be judging others. 

7 hours ago, H2o said:

This is karma for the Brock Osweiler trade they made with the Texans a few years back. Houston was looking to unload salary, and Osweiler. The Browns fleeced them out of a 2nd Round and 6th Round pick for Osweiler, while only giving up a 4th. They will have to do the same to get rid of Mayfield if they really want to unload him. Or they can just hold onto him this year. Up to them, but it seems they are trying everything they can to keep him from ending up somewhere he actually wants to be. 

The main difference there is Osweiler had 3 years, and I believe like $28m guaranteed left on his contract.  Mayfield has 1 year.  

I could honestly see Cleveland keeping him at this point with no intention on playing him at all.  He would likely get signed as a starter next offseason for some QB desperate team, and given that Cleveland's front office is heavily analytics/draft pick driven, you take your comp pick and go.  Especially if cutting him only saves vet minimum when someone else signs him.

Edited by cle23
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Even if he's cut 18.8M is 23rd in the league as far as QB salaries in 2022. I can understand if teams don't want to give draft picks but he might actually get more in the open market if he's released. I'd have to think that both Seattle and Carolina would have interest, maybe even Atlanta.

Appreciate your opinion, but I see no leadership in him and limited ability. No team would do this to a valued player/leader. " Something is afoot here Watson"!

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

He was also hurt all year. I said in week 3 Baker was being foolish playing through a serious shoulder injury and he would cost himself money in the long term. I'm not saying he is great. But the 2021 version of Baker Mayfield was never going to be the best Baker Mayfield after week 2 and he put being a tough guy ahead of a sensible career decision. If he had gone on IR as he should have he'd have a starting job now.

• Agree 3

Meanwhile, video obtained by Browns shows despite skipping OTAs, Baker is trying to work on elusiveness in the pocket.  

Yes I know it's old but it never gets old!  😎

This showed me he would have trouble handling the rush

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He was also hurt all year. I said in week 3 Baker was being foolish playing through a serious shoulder injury and he would cost himself money in the long term. I'm not saying he is great. But the 2021 version of Baker Mayfield was never going to be the best Baker Mayfield after week 2 and he put being a tough guy ahead of a sensible career decision. If he had gone on IR as he should have he'd have a starting job now.

Yeah, Baker isnt as bad as people are making him out to be, completely over looking what he was playing through last year.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Josh Allen was objectively BAD in 2020 while he was dealing with the same injury Baker Mayfield dealt with last season. Granted, that poor play lasted only two games (albeit HIGH PROFILE games) and went away once he took off that damned LB shoulder brace. I think Mayfield's injury was more severe than Allen's. but it's important to recognize that the bigger, stronger QB suffered a less severe injury and subsequently bounced back from it MUCH faster. 

Mayfield absolutely hurt his stock by being a tough guy. Hurt his team, too. But that's who he is. It's both a quality and a flaw. 

Baker should show up and be a professional if he isn’t cut or traded 

he has a chance to start for 3-6 games with a talented roster get over his ego pride being hurt and show some teams why they should invest in him 

but he won’t he’s an asshat who thinks his f arts don’t smell bad 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I should have included this, but I actually based my opinion on the 2020 season because he was hurt last year.  And if he knew he was good enough to not lose his job to injury, he'd have gone on IR.  But he knew better.

• Disagree 1

16 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

Appreciate your opinion, but I see no leadership in him and limited ability. No team would do this to a valued player/leader. " Something is afoot here Watson"!

Thanks! Now are teams doing it because they don't believe Mayfield is a starting QB or because they know the Browns will cut him? I personally don't think Mayfield is a backup, he's shown he's good enough and accurate enough to get his team to the playoffs at least.

I guess we'll find out the answer to this if nobody picks him up but I doubt that happens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.