Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

All that guaranteed money the Browns threw around might have pissed some other teams off.

More to the point that they basically told everyone Mayfield is done in Cleveland but they won't let him leave.

At this rate they are just holding Mayfield hostage for whatever they deem as a worthwhile offer. 

The GT money is just stupid of cleveland and I'm sure other teams are just laughing at them.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

NFL Roster management is simply financial asset management.  As an anology imagine you are shopping for a house. One house is very nice and clearly worth $1 million dollars, but has an asking price of $3 million. Another house is not as nice, and is clearly worth $500 thousand dollars, and has an asking price of $500k.  Which house would you buy? 

The one that can complete a pass

• Haha (+1) 4

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

“no one’s trying to do the #Browns any favors in this situation.”  GOOD! The Browns management has worked hard to be the most loathed team in the NFL. They win.

As for Baker Mayfield, this has actually done the opposite for him: He is now viewed with great sympathy. Who can fault him for wanting to get out of there?

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, CSBill said:

...The Browns management has worked hard to be the most loathed team in the NFL. They win.

image.thumb.jpeg.954d6b57e8d80113cd3515f0ad90c6ea.jpeg
"Hi, I'm Russ!  Sounds like you folks here at the Browns could use an experienced executive who relates to the other teams and your fanbase as a 'straight up guy'!"

• Haha (+1) 1

The teams that still want to add a QB are simply waiting for Cleveland to cut him.  I do agree with some who mentioned other teams are not interested in playing ball with a team that significantly overpaid for Watson as it sets a precedent other teams have to deal with in their own future negotiations with top QB’s.

Teams like Seattle and Carolina can simply wait and let Cleveland eat the $18.8 mil. they are currently on the hook for in 2022.  They can then make a low ball offer for a guy still recuperating from multiple injuries.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.954d6b57e8d80113cd3515f0ad90c6ea.jpeg
"Hi, I'm Russ!  Sounds like you folks here at the Browns could use an experienced executive who relates to the other teams and your fanbase as a 'straight up guy'!"

Neither Cleveland nor the Browns fans deserve this plague.   Maybe Pats fans deserve Brandon but not Browns fans.  Hell, even Jests fans don't deserve him.

• Haha (+1) 2

So, do teams not like Mayfields ability, or he is just such a jerk like Manziel was.

Imagine if it's personality how bad he really is, they took a rusk on Watson rather than him!   

Looks like Mayfield may have started his last game

• Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

So, do teams not like Mayfields ability, or he is just such a jerk like Manziel was.

Imagine if it's personality how bad he really is, they took a rusk on Watson rather than him!   

Looks like Mayfield may have started his last game

Hardly.  More likely, Cleveland is asking for too much.  That will change.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, eball said:

Hardly.  More likely, Cleveland is asking for too much.  That will change.

Huge cap hit. If they trade him, new team gets the whole thing. If they cut him he can sign anywhere and still get that guarantee. Teams are expecting Cleveland to throw in a 2nd or 3rd, not ask for significant compensation.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, The Wiz said:

More to the point that they basically told everyone Mayfield is done in Cleveland but they won't let him leave.

At this rate they are just holding Mayfield hostage for whatever they deem as a worthwhile offer. 

The GT money is just stupid of cleveland and I'm sure other teams are just laughing at them.

Mayfield may gave a paid year off just like their new QB.

If new QB is suspended Mayfield will show up as required to not be fined but will do anything extra.

If they have him in front of press he will say "I am here just so I am not fined.  Browns already told me I am being replaced."

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

If new QB is suspended Mayfield will show up as required to not be fined but will do anything extra.

If they have him in front of press he will say "I am here just so I am not fined.  Browns already told me I am being replaced."

I’m not so much a fan of Baker, but Mayfield should show up in Cleveland in a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops, with a cooler, beach chair, and umbrella, sit on the sideline applying sunscreen…, all under the guise of “recouping from injury”, jmo of course…, 😁

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Does that mean he can keep the in stadium apartment, and the groundskeeper gig? 🤔

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Huge cap hit. If they trade him, new team gets the whole thing. If they cut him he can sign anywhere and still get that guarantee. Teams are expecting Cleveland to throw in a 2nd or 3rd, not ask for significant compensation.

This is karma for the Brock Osweiler trade they made with the Texans a few years back. Houston was looking to unload salary, and Osweiler. The Browns fleeced them out of a 2nd Round and 6th Round pick for Osweiler, while only giving up a 4th. They will have to do the same to get rid of Mayfield if they really want to unload him. Or they can just hold onto him this year. Up to them, but it seems they are trying everything they can to keep him from ending up somewhere he actually wants to be. 

17 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Does that mean he can keep the in stadium apartment, and the groundskeeper gig? 🤔

There's a funny commercial in all this. The movers show up to move Baker out. He's sitting in the parking lot with an evictions an notice. But the Browns have all of his stuff locked up and a janitor tells him management won't let him leave. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

I’m not so much a fan of Baker, but Mayfield should show up in Cleveland in a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops, with a cooler, beach chair, and umbrella, sit on the sideline applying sunscreen…, all under the guise of “recouping from injury”, jmo of course…, 😁

That’s what Watson did to get the largest full guarantee contract ever, should work for Baker too.

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

There's a funny commercial in all this. The movers show up to move Baker out. He's sitting in the parking lot with an evictions an notice. But the Browns have all of his stuff locked up and a janitor tells him management won't let him leave. 

Show him stuck in the dog pound, looking all hungry, sad music playing in the background, “for only 1.1 Million a game, you can save this poor QB, give him a chance to live free and play again” (breaks to a highlight reel of Baker running around throwing the ball with smiles on his face).  “Call today and do your part to save this boy from the Pound”. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.