Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

To me the Lions would be a perfect fit for Mayfield. It’s a team that plays with a lot of heart and a chip on their shoulder. This guy is a lot of things but he fits that mold for sure. That fan base would almost definitely embrace him and the lions would be getting a very motivated guy. It would be an excellent place to try and revitalize a career IMO. Low expectations but room for a monster payoff.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Yeah...crazy fandom. I am afraid we would do the same thing.

You mean passing on a repentant Mike Vick still in his prime? Ignoring Josh Allen’s racist tweets? Or booing our own players for their political beliefs? Because we’ve been there on all sides. 

• Disagree 3
  • Dislike 8

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

too late that ship has sailed...   We have our backups locked up, and Baker will not be released.

I disagree that Baker won't be released.   I don't think that there are many -- any -- teams willing to take on Mayfield's salary ($18 million IIRC) and give up a player/pick for a one year rental on a not that great QB who is still making a lot of the same mistakes he made as a rookie.

Just now, SoTier said:

I disagree that Baker won't be released.   I don't think that there are many -- any -- teams willing to take on Mayfield's salary ($18 million IIRC) and give up a player/pick for a one year rental on a not that great QB who is still making a lot of the same mistakes he made as a rookie.

Waiting for the homeless Baker commercial.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Possibly but I believe someone will offer something. Especially if a team loses a starter before the season.

Looks like Cleveland could swallow Bakers cap hit and wait it out... Would they want to is the question. They gave up a ton of picks for Watson so I'm sure they want to try

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

His salary is fully guaranteed.  Other than the roster spot (which would be filled by a player whose salary also would count toward the cap) they’d gain nothing.  They could keep him for part/all of the season.  He could compete with Brissett for the back up spot.  If he wants to start somewhere else in the league, then he can man up and entice the other teams while Watson is suspended.  That’s a tough road, but I think that after Watson’s suspension is announced the Browns may say that he could start during that time.  That’d mostly be a move to try to improve his trade value though. 

I think they do eventually trade him.  If they can’t, then I think the likely scenario is that he sits the year as inactive for every game unless suspension and/or injury require the team to make him active.  I doubt he actually plays unless it’s an emergency.  They’ll at least get a comp pick out of it that way. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Possibly but I believe someone will offer something. Especially if a team loses a starter before the season.

Looks like Cleveland could swallow Bakers cap hit and wait it out... Would they want to is the question. They gave up a ton of picks for Watson so I'm sure they want to try

I think Cleveland is going to do the Brock Osweiler type deal and send Baker and some draft pick(s) to a team with excess cap space. The Browns only return will be cap relief and dumping a headache. 

4 hours ago, SoTier said:

I understand your point, but the trade partner could renegotiate with Baker.

Another possibility is the trade partner gives up a pick in exchange for Browns keeping a portion of Baker’s salary

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, benderbender said:

You mean passing on a repentant Mike Vick still in his prime? Ignoring Josh Allen’s racist tweets? Or booing our own players for their political beliefs? Because we’ve been there on all sides. 

I was unaware that Josh had racist tweet, when did this happen and what did he say?

6 hours ago, benderbender said:

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I was unaware that Josh had racist tweet, when did this happen and what did he say?

He didn’t, but that doesn’t fit benders narrative. He quoted rap lyrics that were taken out of context while he was in high school. 

Bills fans also didn’t boo Beasley-I was at that game in question, no one was booing him, people were saying Coooooole…but again, doesn’t fit the narrative that’s trying to be passed

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

He quoted a rap song.  Ignore these idiots.

Just now, Ya Digg? said:

He didn’t, but that doesn’t fit benders narrative. He quoted rap lyrics that were taken out of context while he was in high school. 

Bills fans also didn’t boo Beasley-I was at that game in question, no one was booing him, people were saying Coooooole…but again, doesn’t fit the narrative that’s trying to be passed

To be fair, some fans might have been booing. You can only be sure about what you heard. But even  if a few fans did, so what?  Players get booed by some fans all the time, even at home.

• Like (+1) 2

SHOCKER. Browns find few trade suitors for Baker. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/browns-are-making-it-clear-baker-mayfield-is-out-but-a-trade-might-not-happen-unless-they-pay-up-181952357.html

Browns are making it clear Baker Mayfield is out.

But a trade might not happen unless they pay up

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.