Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

Man thinking back to 2018 who would have thought this is how it would turn out for that QB class?  All the worry & bellyaching about Allen and here we are in 2022 with Allen not only being the best of that class but 2 of the others have washed out, a 3rd is in limbo and on the verge of washing out and the 4th - Lamar Jackson - has seen his production drop and is in a stalled contract negotiation.

Meanwhile Allen is a top 3 QB, locked up for years and the face of the Bills franchise.  Amazing.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He was also hurt all year. I said in week 3 Baker was being foolish playing through a serious shoulder injury and he would cost himself money in the long term. I'm not saying he is great. But the 2021 version of Baker Mayfield was never going to be the best Baker Mayfield after week 2 and he put being a tough guy ahead of a sensible career decision. If he had gone on IR as he should have he'd have a starting job now.

11 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Mayfield absolutely hurt his stock by being a tough guy. Hurt his team, too. But that's who he is. It's both a quality and a flaw. 

I was under the impression that the team pressured him to play through it. Did he ever say it was his decision?

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He was also hurt all year. I said in week 3 Baker was being foolish playing through a serious shoulder injury and he would cost himself money in the long term. I'm not saying he is great. But the 2021 version of Baker Mayfield was never going to be the best Baker Mayfield after week 2 and he put being a tough guy ahead of a sensible career decision. If he had gone on IR as he should have he'd have a starting job now.

I think as well nobody with a strong enough personality in the Browns management/coaching staff to shut him down.  The team had a competent back up in Keenum whose now a Bill.  

4 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Man thinking back to 2018 who would have thought this is how it would turn out for that QB class?  All the worry & bellyaching about Allen and here we are in 2022 with Allen not only being the best of that class but 2 of the others have washed out, a 3rd is in limbo and on the verge of washing out and the 4th - Lamar Jackson - has seen his production drop and is in a stalled contract negotiation.

Meanwhile Allen is a top 3 QB, locked up for years and the face of the Bills franchise.  Amazing.

At the time of the draft, I thought everyone except Mayfield and Rosen would be busts,   I was never so glad to be wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-panthers-wanted-browns-pay-134911179.html

Report: Panthers wanted Browns to pay $13-14 million of Baker Mayfield’s salary Mike Florio

Thu, May 26, 2022

The deal didn’t happen because the two teams couldn’t come to an agreement as to the amount of Mayfield’s $18.8 million guaranteed salary that would be paid by the Browns.

The gap was too large. While it’s unclear what the Browns were willing to pay, the Panthers reportedly wanted the Browns to shoulder most of the 

I think teams know if they deal for Baker they must play hardball now. Teams are pissed off with the Browns for that Watson contract and any team that bails them out will also be in the doghouse and likely face backlash when trying to make future deals with other teams.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, stuvian said:

The Browns will find a buyer when a starting QB gets a season ending injury in training camp or the preseason.

Geno Smith is the starter in Seattle Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

TBH a team might want a top draft pick instead of getting Baker... unless the Browns take most the cap hit.

Browns are gonna have to take a ***** on this deal.

Edited by TBBills
  • Dislike 1

• 4 weeks later...

Seahawks reportedly have 'high level of interest' in Baker Mayfield

Per Josina Anderson, Seattle is even open to extending Mayfield's contract, which is set to expire after next season. The former Oklahoma Sooners star will be playing the upcoming season on the fifth-year option of his rookie contract after it was previously exercised by the Browns.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/seahawks-have-high-level-of-interest-in-baker-mayfield

16 hours ago, ALF said:

Per Josina Anderson, Seattle is even open to extending Mayfield's contract, which is set to expire after next season. The former Oklahoma Sooners star will be playing the upcoming season on the fifth-year option of his rookie contract after it was previously exercised by the Browns.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/seahawks-have-high-level-of-interest-in-baker-mayfield

Translation “We just saw Geno and Drew lock throw the ball”

Edited by Captain Hindsight
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, ALF said:

Baker makes too much sense in Seattle.  No clue why this hasn't happened yet.  Pete Carroll loves to run the ball and play defense.  They just need a QB who can make throws off play action and get the ball to DK/Lockett... Healthy Baker is not elite, but he can do that.  

In a weak NFC, that's likely enough to get them to the Playoffs. 

Seattle doesn't seem to have draft capital to really be heavy in the '23 QB Draft anyway.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, SCBills said:

Baker makes too much sense in Seattle.  No clue why this hasn't happened yet.  Pete Carroll loves to run the ball and play defense.  They just need a QB who can make throws off play action and get the ball to DK/Lockett... Healthy Baker is not elite, but he can do that.  

Seattle doesn't seem to have draft capital to really be heavy in the '23 QB Draft anyway.

They're waiting for his/the price to drop.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I am glad Baker is staying out of the division. He isn't great but he is better than Tua, Jones, Wilson.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Imo, Baker is not damaged goods and should get a second chance with a team which has a strong and experienced head coach, a good culture and/or strong locker room with veteran players.

Seattle, hence, makes sense to me also. Other option would have been the Colts but I think Reich must be too burned by the Wentz disaster. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Imo, Baker is not damaged goods and should get a second chance with a team which has a strong and experienced head coach, a good culture and/or strong locker room with veteran players.

Seattle, hence, makes sense to me also. Other option would have been the Colts but I think Reich must be too burned by the Wentz disaster. 

He could easily get burned with 37 year old Matt Ryan. I agree with you that the Colts would be a great spot for Baker. Great OL, JT, solid defense. He would do well there.

On 5/7/2022 at 7:29 PM, CincyBillsFan said:

I believe that is incorrect.  Lamar has chosen not to negotiate yet with the Ravens.  It is not stalled by any means when it has not even started.

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

I believe that is incorrect.  Lamar has chosen not to negotiate yet with the Ravens.  It is not stalled by any means when it has not even started.

The Ravens must have let Lamar know what they're willing to pay him.  For Lamar to not even negotiate with the Ravens makes no sense unless he's looking to hit FA.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

The Ravens must have let Lamar know what they're willing to pay him.  For Lamar to not even negotiate with the Ravens makes no sense unless he's looking to hit FA.

More like he feels that coming off an injury plagued 2021 season, he is confident enough in himself to command a better contract than if he signed before this season.  He's betting on himself to have a great season.  He's not leaving Baltimore if he plays like he thinks he will.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.