Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2022/04/nobody-wants-baker-mayfield-says-nfl-hall-of-famer.html

Though seems a bit unfair to me. Firstly, I think Cleveland may want more than a sixth or seventh pick and, secondly, surely it’s the salary situation which is leaving Mayfield in limbo more than anything? The other franchises know the Browns are over a barrel.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

Ouch.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2022/04/nobody-wants-baker-mayfield-says-nfl-hall-of-famer.html

Though seems a bit unfair to me. Firstly, I think Cleveland may want more than a sixth or seventh pick and, secondly, surely it’s the salary situation which is leaving Mayfield in limbo more than anything? The other franchises know the Browns are over a barrel.

It's true that Baker's 1 year, $18.9 fully guaranteed contract is probably limiting his suitors more than anything.  I'm sure Cleveland would like more than a 6th or 7th or even a 5th, but they probably aren't going to get it because of the salary and contract situation.

Part of what Sharpe says is true.  If Mayfield were seen as a "franchise altering QB", #1 Cleveland would not have sold the farm to bring in DeShaun Watson #2 when they did, other teams would be lighting up the phone to Cleveland

OTOH Mayfield played hurt last season in Cleveland, and it does seem to me that he's getting smacked around for trying to be a team player there.  It was pretty clear that Josh Allen was struggling to throw properly when he injured his non-throwing shoulder vs LVR in 2020 and wasn't "right" for the next 3-4 games.  The pundits were all "see, I told you it was a flash in the pan, he's regressing to the mean" about his play in the first 4 games when he struggled against Tenn, KC, then only passed 18 attempts vs. NE. 

I seem to recall Terry Bradshaw after the KC game opinion that Allen would never be anything but a career 58% passer.  Then of course Allen came out and threw for 418 yds, 82% completion against Seattle (just after Matt Hasselbeck went on the air explaining the injury Allen probably suffered and its progression "he's probably starting to feel pretty good about now") and I was like "well Bradshaw, that aged well, didn't it, Dufus?"  (of course Bradshaw didn't take any accountability)

Bottom line is Mayfield looked a lot closer to a franchise-altering QB in 2020 with 2 good shoulders.  And I bet he transcribes Sharpe's words and reads them every morning to fire himself up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Interesting to me that Trubisky and Wentz have starting jobs and Jimmy G and Baker do not. Also Mariota in ATL and Drew Lock or Geno Smith in SEA. I don't think CAR will stick with Darnold unless they plan to have him start the year and have a rookie come in to finish. If Baker doesn't get traded before the end of the draft then CLE might as well hang on to him and see if any QB's go down during the preseason

8 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

First he battles the mascot for the lawn mower on his way out?  

That would be a funny SNL skit (if SNL was still funny). They kick Baker out of the stadium and he's homeless with a garbage bag full of footballs and his Heisman and in walks Deshaun Watson with like 10 hot masseuses surrounding him and he puts a dollar in his coffee cup and says get a job you bum!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/14/2022 at 1:51 PM, Gugny said:

Midwest Goodbyes ain't got nothin' on Puerto Rican Goodbyes.  Those are like the last minute of a college basketball game.

My family has mastered the Irish Exit...gone without a word or anyone noticing.  It's a gift.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Interesting to me that Trubisky and Wentz have starting jobs and Jimmy G and Baker do not. Also Mariota in ATL and Drew Lock or Geno Smith in SEA. I don't think CAR will stick with Darnold unless they plan to have him start the year and have a rookie come in to finish. If Baker doesn't get traded before the end of the draft then CLE might as well hang on to him and see if any QB's go down during the preseason

It’s crazy to me. I think Mayfield is better right now and has more long term potential than any of those guys with the possible exception of Trubisky.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Is Lance formally qb1 for SF? Did I miss something or did I forget something lol

Also I feel like this is the best thing that could've happened to bakers career. He needs that juice. May hsve just suffered a long slow death in CLE without this

Edited by BillsShredder83

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2022 at 11:39 AM, KDIGGZ said:

NFL Roster management is simply financial asset management.  As an anology imagine you are shopping for a house. One house is very nice and clearly worth $1 million dollars, but has an asking price of $3 million. Another house is not as nice, and is clearly worth $500 thousand dollars, and has an asking price of $500k.  Which house would you buy? 

41 minutes ago, mrags said:

He’ll likely be traded soon. Wonder if the Browns are waiting to hear if Watson will end up being suspended or not 

How hilarious would it be if Watson is suspended and Mayfield decides to say "F you" and hold out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, mrags said:

He’ll likely be traded soon. Wonder if the Browns are waiting to hear if Watson will end up being suspended or not 

They can’t keep him on the roster either way, suspension or not. It’s too far gone not to mention his cap space is holding up other moves 

• Shocked 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.