Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

12 hours ago, Magnum Force said:

The Browns might have to compensate a team to take Baker and his 18.5 Million Dollar contract.  Seems like it is down to 2 teams … Seattle and Carolina maybe Detroit.  Pretty expensive for a backup QB if it ends up that way.  Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that Cleveland can’t complete the Watson trade until they trade or cut Mayfield

I had not heard the underlined.  If true, that certainly adds to the drama.

Talk about a fall from grace...apparently Browns talking to a team about Mayfield trade and the team asked the Browns for a pick as compensation for taking the contract

😂

Edited by Big Turk
  • Shocked 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What if Baker is the back up in Cleveland if they can’t trade him?

If this happens, my hope for Baker would be to use this as a time to sit back and learn from it. Show a mature attitude. There's a lot he can do to contribute as a backup. It'll be his chance to be "the adult in the locker room". That was a damning statement and doesn't look good for him.

Edited by Dopey
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 3/20/2022 at 9:37 AM, AuntieEm said:

If I'm an innocent person being accused of such conduct I'm sure as heck taping my sessions fully and that will prevent any future charges that are without any merit or at least have proof the allegations are false.  If Watson is found in future to be a sexual predator beyond any doubt then Cleveland Browns should be held accountable if they did not include any specific ironclad offsets to the money being guaranteed.  Giving any predator that amount of financial stability is in itself criminal.  

Good news for Browns. They consulted with Jim Overdorf who is known for ensuring protections are written in contract.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Talk about a fall from grace...apparently Browns talking to a team about Mayfield trade and the team asked the Browns for a pick as compensation for taking the contract

😂

I think its more knowing the Browns have to unload him now. I'm sure his value isn't super high, but if Matt Ryan is worth a 3rd, so is Baker.

The more spots that get filled, they less options the Browns and Baker have

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

I think its more knowing the Browns have to unload him now. I'm sure his value isn't super high, but if Matt Ryan is worth a 3rd, so is Baker.

The more spots that get filled, they less options the Browns and Baker have

I would imagine the Seahawks are the favorites to get him now.

8 minutes ago, Dopey said:

If this happens, my hope for Baker would be to use this as a time to sit back and learn from it. Show a mature attitude. There's a lot he can do to contribute as a backup. It'll be his chance to be "the adult in the locker room". That was a damning statement and doesn't look good for him.

Might be for the best.

These examples rarely synch up due to comparing a Hall of Famer to a inconsistent 1st Overall Pick…

…but…Drew Brees didn’t become Drew Brees until Season 6/7 in the league and a New Team.

Mayfield is only in Season 5…and on original team.

Just stating this because, Mayfield still has plenty of time to turn the ship around if he can center himself, get out of Cleveland and hook up with Sean Payton when he comes back.  Okay that last part is 😉.  But mayfield definitely needs to synch up with an up and coming Offensive Minded Coach in 2023.

• Agree 1

I don’t understand what the thinking was of the NFLPA pushing for the 5th year option to be guaranteed for anything other than injury.  Kind of funny what the NFLPA fights for.  You’d think they’d fight for guys who weren’t 1st round picks to hit free agency earlier rather than getting the 5th year option fully guaranteed for guys who’ve probably made 5 times the amount of money as those who weren’t selected in 1st round.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.