Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

43 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Yep, that draft class of 2018 was a big disappointment QB wise, wasn't it. 😁

Overall it was, other than Allen and Jackson.  And Jackson is a bit questionable IMO.  Not sure if his early success was solely because defenses didn't yet know how to play him?  Now they've figure him out.

So the one guy who was by many likely to be the biggest failure is arguably one of the top 5 players in the league and could be the best very soon if not already.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think they balance each other out. We already saw what happens when they mix another choir boy with him. Reich could use a little of Mayfield's fire, and Mayfield could use a little of Reich's humbleness.

edit: If Reich can work with 1980s Jim Kelly, he can DEFINITELY handle Baker Mayfield.

Mayfield may go to Colts but Reich ate a lot of crow re Wentz.  I don't think Frank will be leading the charge for Baker.

Edited by DCbillsfan

1 minute ago, DCbillsfan said:

Mayfield may go to Colts but Reich ate a lot of crow re Wentz.  I don't think Frank will be leading the charge for Baker.

I dont think he is either. Indy has been mentioned as a landing spot for Mayfield for a week now. I doubt that comes from Reich or only Reich.

My post you quoted was only about how they'd be able to work together. Not that Reich is pushing for it.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

He escalated everything now.

Whatever team he goes to he will be a distraction, no debate about that.  Former #1 pick Heisman trophy winner.  Gugny is correct, he should have kept his mouth shut.  That tweet will end up costing the Borwns and himself a lot.  And the Browns FO is incredibly inept with how they handled this.

I think it's a generational thing.  I'm not a Boomer but close, I'm a Gen Xer and for some young people, things don't happen, things aren't real until they are posted on social media.  The term "Facebook Official" comes to mind about dating.

For Baker the idea of not commenting on something like this on social media is anathema.  Kind of like Cole with his COVID stance on Twitter.  I personally feel no need to share details of my life with strangers on the internet.  I'm not saying one view is right and one is wrong, it's just one of the big differences between generations where one grew up with rotary dial phones and one grew up cutting their teeth on iPhones. 

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Bro they escalated it first by going for Watson and being sketchy.

Eff the Browns. They deserve another 15 years of being a poverty franchise. 

I honestly feel Stefanski and the FO's refusal to shut Mayfield down last year played into(escalated) this situation.  He shouldn't have been on the field the second half of the season if not sooner:

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/pro/browns/2022/01/05/browns-injury-update-baker-mayfield-playing-hurt-was-small-miracle-shoulder-surgery-case-keenum/9071999002/

"Mayfield suffered a completely torn labrum and fraying in his left, non-throwing shoulder in Week 2 while attempting to make a tackle on an interception return versus the Houston Texans. Mayfield played through shoulder issues — he also suffered a fractured humerus bone in Week 6 — wore a harness to prevent it from repeatedly dislocating and also dealt with lower-body injuries (left heel, right knee, groin) throughout the season."

I'm not the biggest fan of him, but after the labrum tear his accuracy was uncharacteristically way off.  Mobility and throwing angles also hampered.  I think most Browns fans know Stefanski should have made the call.  The guy was a mess and fought through it all, I respect him for that at least.

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

12 minutes ago, MRW said:

Discussed exploring acquiring? What, are they going to form a committee to research investigating possibly offering a trade?

Remember how Fraser and Niles Crane used to phrase the simplest thoughts in the most complicated way?  Goes with the territory. 😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

You're the starting QB for an NFL team.  You have a torn labrum in your non-throwing shoulder, but instead of going on IR and getting surgery like you should, you tough it out.  Management tells you after the season that you're their guy, yet a contract extension is not forthcoming.  You have to watch as the team tries to land human excrement in Watson, so you send a tweet thanking the fans and request a trade.  For that, Baker Mayfield is getting the crap kicked out of him in this thread.  The Browns told Mayfield exactly what they thought of him when they went after that POS Watson.  What would you have him do, stay in Cleveland and take whatever ***** they send his way?  Baker Mayfield did not create the situation, the Browns ownership and FO did.  The hate he's getting here is ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

You're the starting QB for an NFL team.  You have a torn labrum in your non-throwing shoulder, but instead of going on IR and getting surgery like you should, you tough it out.  Management tells you after the season that you're their guy, yet a contract extension is not forthcoming.  You have to watch as the team tries to land human excrement in Watson, so you send a tweet thanking the fans and request a trade.  For that, Baker Mayfield is getting the crap kicked out of him in this thread.  The Browns told Mayfield exactly what they thought of him when they went after that POS Watson.  What would you have him do, stay in Cleveland and take whatever ***** they send his way?  Baker Mayfield did not create the situation, the Browns ownership and FO did.  The hate he's getting here is ridiculous.

1.) Bakers play is inconsistent.  Despite personal feelings many have on him…if he was winning…people would still hate him, but they wouldn’t talk.  He’s down now so it’s easy to pounce.

2.) Baker…doesn’t play or carry himself the way media/fans “romanticize” a player should carry/play…and that makes them hate him all the more.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I mean nobody looks great here. Baker and Stefanski weren’t exactly friendly to each other in the media at the end of the season. Baker does have prickly personality and seems to clash with teammates and coaches. Browns openly pursuing another QB then turning back to Baker after telling Mort he isn’t an “adult” is a bad look. 

I don’t blame Baker for wanting out. I also don’t think that solves his problem of being a QB that hasn’t gotten it done. 

Browns will probably have to trade him and now have to try to have a viable option either in FA or in the draft. The musical QB chair is winding down and the Browns could be left with Mariota or Andy Dalton two years after being one 4th down stop from the AFC Championship game 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.