Cody Ford revival under Kromer?

uticaclub

6 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Found money if it happens at this point

Exactly.  There is NOBODY who expects Cody Ford to be on the Bills’ 53 when rosters are set.  Nobody.  He has been an abject failure of a draft pick to date, which is precisely the reason why I don’t see the need for fans to continue to pile on.  He’ll be brought into OTAs and camp and given a final chance with Kromer.  It’s all upside; either he makes it or he’ll be gone.  I am 100% certain Beane is not basing anything he does in FA or the draft on an expectation that Cody Ford is a significant piece of the puzzle.

Maybe Saffold helps Ford out? To be fair…..Ford hasn’t exactly been around top tier guards to help him learn the position……he was a tackle his college career and 1st half of his NFL career. Maybe a good oline coach in Kromer and pro bowl guard in Saffold can resurrect his career?

8 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Mouse McNally couldn't improve Cody Ford.  

Bro, you beat me to the punch!!! McNally was going to turn the Bills OL around, remember? Fans were posting that the entire problem was the "scheme." Well, under McNally (a fine OL coach I might add) they were just as bad if not worse.

I'm sure that it happens once in a while but generally speaking, coaches usually cannot perform miracles with NFL blockers.

Jmo.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm sure that is the Bills hope. But if they believe in Bates (which I think they do), then Ford could be cut soon to make room for a top tier free agent signing--Chandler Jones, I hope. And if that happens, look for interior line depth in the draft.

10 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Any chance Kromer salvages Ford’s career, and he turns into a starting RG?

I think Bates has earned the right to start, but I also think McDermott likes him being available to play all 5 OL positions

Well, I guess I see it this way...

I recently heard heard that Kromer likes quick, athletic o-lineman...

That being said, I don’t think Cody Ford fits that description...I could be wrong, but I always thought Ford moved like a sloth...Dude just always seems a few mph slower than everyone else...

All the power to Kromer, though, if he can work his magic on that specimen...😉

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Bro, you beat me to the punch!!! McNally was going to turn the Bills OL around, remember? Fans were posting that the entire problem was the "scheme." Well, under McNally (a fine OL coach I might add) they were just as bad if not worse.

I'm sure that it happens once in a while but generally speaking, coaches usually cannot perform miracles with NFL blockers.

Jmo.

I almost miss those days Bill!  Drafting/signing DB's before anything, weak OL/DL, and 7-9 seasons.  The board back then was great.   :lol:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

Maybe Saffold helps Ford out? To be fair…..Ford hasn’t exactly been around top tier guards to help him learn the position……he was a tackle his college career and 1st half of his NFL career. Maybe a good oline coach in Kromer and pro bowl guard in Saffold can resurrect his career?

and IF my aunt had balls…

NVM. 😂

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Jmo.

^^^ This 100%. 

Ford has not gotten better over the years as you would expect a 2nd round pick to do. This was an unfortunate pick. At the time people thought it was a decent risk, but it has not panned out. He’s cheap, but if he doesn’t show significant progression in training camp, I hope they would use his roster spot on someone with upside.

11 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Could happen, he's on a cheap rookie contract so I'm sure they're going to try.

11 hours ago, uticaclub said:

I think Bates has earned the right to start, but I also think McDermott likes him being available to play all 5 OL positions

Bates is also likely needed as the backup center 

The only other realistic possibility at this point is that the Bills draft a player for the position

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The only other realistic possibility at this point is that the Bills draft a player for the position

I also think they will draft a guy who can play center or guard.  That gives them Morse's replacement and eliminates the issue you mention.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I think Bills go IOL in the first 3 rounds. At least for competition at the RG spot and for next year when Saffold will likely be gone.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.