Cody Ford revival under Kromer?

uticaclub

11 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Any chance Kromer salvages Ford’s career, and he turns into a starting RG?

I think Bates has earned the right to start, but I also think McDermott likes him being available to play all 5 OL positions

Maybe he did get production from the slug John Miller.  but I would not count on a revival of Ford, he is on the outside looking in IMO. 

Right now your two OGs are Saffold and Bates

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

As I see it now:

RD1 - CB

RD2 - WR

RD3 - IOL

That's the same technique that got the Bills them off-bus-starters.........Shaq, Ragnuts and da Fuhrer.......1-2-3 in the 2016 draft.

It's been said a million times........but it's true........you really gotta' get the best players available(at premium positions) with those early picks.........they need to be the potential future DE1/CB1/LT1/WR1 of your team.......need is what free agency is for.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's the same technique that got the Bills them off-bus-starters.........Shaq, Ragnuts and da Fuhrer.......1-2-3 in the 2016 draft.

It's been said a million times........but it's true........you really gotta' get the best players available(at premium positions) with those early picks.........they need to be the potential future DE1/CB1/LT1/WR1 of your team.......need is what free agency is for.

Based on early draft projections, it's not wild to think that BPA won't be too far off with CB at 25, WR at 57 and then I could see them moving around in the 3rd/back into the 2nd to get whoever they really like there.

CB/WR are definitely positions we should be drafting given how much we pay Tre, Diggs and will be paying Knox/Davis. 

The real problem the Bills will have is in 2023, which is why it’s good to be wary of these restructures

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2023/all/buffalo-bills//

They only have 31 players under contract and 179M of cap space taken up. Even if the cap is at 230M that’s not actually a ton of space - especially considering Edmunds, Knox, Bates (assuming he had a good year) ~ 20M in cap space after being resigned - I think Jordan Poyer will have to be allowed to walk, while Diggs, Tre and Dawkins would be extended.

Cody Ford was good in college.  He has talent.  It clearly hasn't translated so far, but with Kromer in the mix, I have zero issue keeping him around on his rookie contract to provide depth and be put back into the mix to challenge for the RG spot.  

We do need to make sure we continue to invest in OL however.   Every QB is better with time, but Josh Allen becomes borderline unstoppable.   

Dawkins-Saffold-Morse is 3/5 of a potentially great line. 

The rest of our line is potential and question marks however... Brown flashed, but can he make the jump?  Not sure what we're doing with Bates as he hasn't even been tendered yet.  Doyle was good in the Jumbo TE role, but can he be a legitimate swing tackle?  Then there's Cody Ford.   That's what we're looking at currently. 

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Based on early draft projections, it's not wild to think that BPA won't be too far off with CB at 25, WR at 57 and then I could see them moving around in the 3rd/back into the 2nd to get whoever they really like there.

CB/WR are definitely positions we should be drafting given how much we pay Tre, Diggs and will be paying Knox/Davis. 

Yeah it's not "wild to think"..........but it's also not "likely" that bpa at those exact spots will be those positions in those rounds.

The draft isn't like a set of stairs where one selection is just one step down in quality from the prior.........the difference in impact between selecting a Cody Ford versus a DK Metcalf/AJ Brown can be VAST........even if they are both at the top of their individual positions on your board at the time.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it's not "wild to think"..........but it's also not "likely" that bpa at those exact spots will be those positions in those rounds.

The draft isn't like a set of stairs where one selection is just one step down in quality from the prior.........the difference in impact between selecting a Cody Ford versus a DK Metcalf/AJ Brown can be VAST........even if they are at the top of their individual positions on your board at the time.

I don't disagree.  If a Kenyon Green, Trevor Penning, Jameson Williams is there at 25, but we go CB because it's a glaring hole, I wouldn't love it... However, current mock drafts have someone like Andrew Booth to us at 25.  That very well may be BPA there and gives us a cost-controlled CB1 type across from Tre.  

I generally agree with you though.  Simply pointing out that CB may actually be BPA in the 1st and WR seems like a great value pick in RD2 this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

expect some technique and scheme improvement, but Ford has to improve his athleticism, his RAS scores are low in comparison to others and his play has fallen significanlty and cant get up...I dont see him in the mix as a starter, so as far as backup goes I expect the Bills to draft at least one guard that should stick on the active roster or else risk being lost when placed on the practice squad, which happened to us last season when we lost G Jack Anderson to the Iggles (as well as CB Wildgoose to the Jets).  He likely cant swing to tackle, does not play center, so he is a one-trick pony in last year of contract where the position priority is to protect the franchise qb and his results so far do not qualify.  Cutting results in small cap savings versus keeping for backup purposes but complicated with roster spot for a drafted guard as mentioned...

13 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Any chance Kromer salvages Ford’s career, and he turns into a starting RG?

I think Bates has earned the right to start, but I also think McDermott likes him being available to play all 5 OL positions

Yes, there's a chance.  

But I'm not holding out hope.   Although I think coaching is important and that players clearly can and do grow in the NFL, I also think that most players show you something from the beginning that suggests what they might become.   Cooper Kupp wasn't an instant starter, but the Rams knew they had something.   Milano wasn't a starter his rookie season, but everyone could see that he had something that showed promise.   I think expectations of Oliver were too high, mine included, but even as a rookie, he showed SOMETHING, and he's improved from year to year.  

We all like the idea of Ford - size, pedigree, etc. - but we rarely see him do anything that makes us say, "Yeah, just give us some more of that."  And we haven't seen him improve.  

It's possible there's a coach out there with the key that unlocks Ford's talent, but I think it's unlikely. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, BTB said:

…and what is Plan B when the season is upon is and Ford still sucks? 

I think we draft Plan B.  Hoping Ford stops sucking is a terrible plan.  If Ford turns it around and the rookie is good, that's a great problem to  have.  Keep rookie, trade, tag Ford.  

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's actually got a cap hit of $2.4M this year, I'm not saying that's exorbitant but it's the last year of his rookie deal, if Kromer makes something of him it'll be just in time to see him want to get paid.

I mean… maybe that’s what lights the fire under Ford’s a—.

Buthim still on the roster just reeks of Beane not wanting to admit he got this wrong wrong wrong.

18 minutes ago, UConn James said:

I mean… maybe that’s what lights the fire under Ford’s a—.

But him still on the roster just reeks of Beane not wanting to admit he got this wrong wrong wrong.

I dunno.  I think it's giving him the "off-season recovering from injury pass" at a point where the roster is expanded (offseason), his cap hit is still relatively small, and the new OL coach wants to evaluate the talent under contract vs. the talent brought in with the draft or available in FA before sending the turk.

Of course, when Beane says "he's started more games injured than healthy", that's damning in its own way.  The NFL takes a hideous toll on guys' bodies, and it takes a special type of human body to hold up to that

I personally don't think "fire under his ass" is the problem for Ford.  I think he simply couldn't play effectively the way he was being asked to play.  Whether that means a different coach/scheme will help or whether he can't cut it in the NFL, remains to be seen.

I'd bet on the latter (can't cut it), but I don't fault Beane for keeping a guy on his rookie deal through the off-season.

28 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think we draft Plan B.  Hoping Ford stops sucking is a terrible plan.  If Ford turns it around and the rookie is good, that's a great problem to  have.  Keep rookie, trade, tag Ford.  

Agree with you completely.  Draft Plan B.  Don't bet the rent (or Josh Allen's health) on "hoping Ford stops sucking".

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.