Zay Jones to Jags for 3 years up to $30M with $24M base

Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

Zay looked like an average receiver with the Raiders. That’s a huge accomplishment considering his time in Buffalo. I wish him nothing but the best, but it’s frustrating he didn’t seem to take being a pro seriously in Buffalo. There’d definitely be a place for him with Josh. I wouldn’t ever sign the guy, but it’s a shame he couldn’t get it together here. 

he won McDermott's offseason training award for biggest body change .. McDermott praised his work ethic

He just couldn't catch balls from Josh Allen.. wasn't from a lack of trying

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

he won McDermott's offseason training award for biggest body change .. McDermott praised his work ethic

I think McDermott was trying to motivate him.

As I pointed out above, Zay Jones actually caught more balls for more yards, first downs, and TDs from rookie Josh Allen than he has any other year since.

Truth!  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneZa00.htm

So it's not like he's caught more from anyone else...though he has raised his catch %

If I were Beasley I'd be fuming right now.  That guy gets $8M/yr.  Beasley has caught more passes last year than Zay Jones had targets, and damned close to 3x more yards (2400 in 3 yrs vs 800 in 3 yrs).

Beasley wants to be traded, and he can't even get someone to pony up a mere $6.1M for him?

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think McDermott was trying to motivate him.

As I pointed out above, Zay Jones actually caught more balls for more yards, first downs, and TDs from rookie Josh Allen than he has any other year since.

Truth!  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneZa00.htm

So it's not like he's caught more from anyone else...though he has raised his catch %

If I were Beasley I'd be fuming right now.  That guy gets $8M/yr.  Beasley has caught more passes last year than Zay Jones had targets, and damned close to 3x more yards (2400 in 3 yrs vs 800 in 3 yrs).

Beasley wants to be traded, and he can't even get someone to pony up a mere $6.1M for him?

I think that is more a product of being the best of a bad bunch like foster here too 

His catch % pretty bad tho .. so he wasn't exactly reliable 

He actually was decent last year

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, I get it, but if you want a guy to become a franchise QB, is Zay Jones really The Way?

He was a decent 4/5 WR for Raiders.

Note I didn't say they weren't necessarily executing that plan well. It's just the only philosophy that makes sense for such significant overpays on mediocre players. 

47 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I hear you, maybe I shouldn’t question his dedication in Buffalo, but the Vegas incident made me question his off field life early in his career. I shouldn’t jump to such conclusions, but something seemed off. It wouldn’t be unusual for a young guy to turn things around. He’ll never be a great player, but he seems more together these days. It shows watching him play. He looks like his head is actually in the game. Jones looked like a deer in the headlights half the time here. 

Edited by SirAndrew

Just now, SirAndrew said:

I hear you, maybe I shouldn’t question his dedication in Buffalo, but the Vegas incident made me question his off field life early in his career. I shouldn’t jump to such conclusions, but something seemed off. It wouldn’t be unusual for a young guy to turn things around. He’ll never be a great player, but he seems more together these days. It shows watching him play. He looks like his head is actually in the game. Jones looked like a deer in the headlights half the time here. 

Yeah when the news broke about the incident.. I honestly thought he had like no chance at succeeding here

But it sounds like he got his mental side under control . Hopefully he did

• Agree 1

Wow, seems about 3 times too big

with his 500+ passing yards and very low 67%  catch percentage.

Was just surprised to see Jones had 652 yards and 7 touchdowns for the Bills in 2018.  He faded so fast the next year I had forgotten he had a good year for a 2nd year player, and played better as the season progressed.  But 81 catches since he left the Bills.

Seems like a good dude, so more power to him.

May be a good fit with Kirk, and their QB should be better.  So, you never know, I guess. 

Edited by Mister Defense

WTF is Jacksonville doing?? 

Gave Kirk $18+ million a year and now Jones $8 million a year?

Are they having to overpay that badly to get anyone to want to come there?

$26 million for a good slot receiver and a decent 3rd WR, but more likely a 4th WR?? Wow...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.