Why Did Putin Invade Ukraine?

Why Did Putin Invade Ukraine?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you think Putin chose to invade Ukraine? I am interested in what everyone thinks his reasons are, so I've made answers of most of what I've read here. You can select multiple options, and I'll add choices to the poll as new answers pop up in the thread.

• He is insane/evil.
    • He wanted to prevent Ukraine from joining NATO.
    • He thinks that Biden is weak.
    • Trump paved the way for this, but screwed up and didn't get reelected.
    • He didn't want to pay for piping his oil through Ukraine.
    • It seemed like a good idea at the time.
    • He knew Tucker Carlson would have his back.
    • He didn't think that anyone would care.
    • He wanted to put the old USSR band back together.
    • Trump. Just TRUMP.

For me, this costly invasion is all about:

1) controlling energy into Europe, and eliminating the costly middle man.  Ukraine is the pipeline crossroads and it has four nuclear plants, including the largest on the continent.  

2) controlling the Black Sea, and its untold billions in gas and oil reserves below it.  Turkey found 11 *trillion* cubic feet of natural gas in its part of the Black Sea alone in 2020.    

3) doing its part to collapse the petrodollar.  

I think the larger goal of all of this is to remove the US petrodollar as the primary world currency, which would have devastating effect on the West, especially the US, especially now.  If Russia can corner the energy supply and transmission into Europe, it can demand payment in something else besides the dollar. If you get the Saudis, Chinese, Indians, Iranians, Iraqis, etc. to join your bloc, where they will accept other currencies or an entirely different one, the US is in considerable trouble.  

You ask why Putin didn't do this during Trump?  Trump would have flooded the market with US energy, and aggressively threaten oil producers to keep the dollar.  Those countries are hedging their bets that Biden will do neither.  

8 minutes ago, dpberr said:

For me, this costly invasion is all about:

1) controlling energy into Europe, and eliminating the costly middle man.  Ukraine is the pipeline crossroads and it has four nuclear plants, including the largest on the continent.  

2) controlling the Black Sea, and its untold billions in gas and oil reserves below it.  Turkey found 11 *trillion* cubic feet of natural gas in its part of the Black Sea alone in 2020.    

3) doing its part to collapse the petrodollar.  

I think the larger goal of all of this is to remove the US petrodollar as the primary world currency, which would have devastating effect on the West, especially the US, especially now.  If Russia can corner the energy supply and transmission into Europe, it can demand payment in something else besides the dollar. If you get the Saudis, Chinese, Indians, Iranians, Iraqis, etc. to join your bloc, where they will accept other currencies or an entirely different one, the US is in considerable trouble.  

You ask why Putin didn't do this during Trump?  Trump would have flooded the market with US energy, and aggressively threaten oil producers to keep the dollar.  Those countries are hedging their bets that Biden will do neither.  

Sorry, I thought I could update the poll to include the Black Sea and petrodollar option, or update the pipeline item.  

51 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Sorry, I thought I could update the poll to include the Black Sea and petrodollar option, or update the pipeline item.  

Oh that's ok.  There's no problem with your discussion poll.  It's thorough.  Was just adding to the discussion.