McDermott’s plan for a pass rush IMO

streetkings01

2 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Is to get big physical DT’s that can push the pocket and let the 3 DE’s we drafted get up field and get sacks once the QB’s are forced out the pocket. We’ve been linked to way more DT’s then DE’s. I don’t think DE is that high on McDermott’s wish list. 

it also will free up our best pass rusher— Oliver— to move around and penetrate. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Is to get big physical DT’s that can push the pocket and let the 3 DE’s we drafted get up field and get sacks once the QB’s are forced out the pocket. We’ve been linked to way more DT’s then DE’s. I don’t think DE is that high on McDermott’s wish list. 

I mean we have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds of the past two drafts invested at DE.  Makes sense they plan to get them on the field more.

I still think they will add a DE if the right one is there for the right price.  I mean they already were in on Ogbah supposedly showing interest in a DE.  

So I won’t rule out Chandler or Hunter yet as there has been reports we have looked into both.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We couldn’t get it done with veterans Hughes/Addison along with the rotation of Epenesa, Groot and Basham but you’re telling me we are just going to throw them to the wolves and hope for the best? I highly doubt that, that would be a big mistake imo. It’s time to put the big boy pants on and go get a real pass rusher while the kids mature.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well, I think the plan for the pass rush is about what you say, and it's pretty obvious. 

McDermott wants pressure, pressure, and more pressure.   He wants it off the edge and up the middle.  And he wants it with four guys.   

He like mobile guys on the end, guys who have some strength, some quickness, some speed.  He wants them to be relentless, and he wants them to hold the edge against the run.  He wants the tackles to be strong enough to hold the point of attack, but skilled enough to get upfield so that the QB feels the pressure up the middle and kept step up to avoid the rush from the edge.  

Not that that's all that original; it's basic football.  But it's what McDermott strives for.  

He has Oliver in the middle, but he really hasn't had a second guy to get pressure inside.  Harry gave him some of that late in the season, and Star on occasion, but he wanted and needed someone more consistent.  

I think in his heart of hearts, he doesn't want a star edge rusher or an Aaron Donald.  He doesn't think the model is to have a guy who must be double-teamed constantly.   He wants four guys, each of whom is going to win his one-on-ones sometimes, so that the defense really doesn't know who to double.   With guys who pretty strong and pretty quick (look at all the Bills edge rushers, and even the tackles), he can play games with them, move them around, find ways to create advantages.  

I think he has the DEs he wants to work with (for this season; he'll need help there soon), and I think he has guys now who can give him what he wants in the middle.  

I think it's amazing how they've been on five-year of continuous upgrades to the roster.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1

16 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

I’ve been saying this for the past two seasons. Wanted Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'm ok with getting Hughes back. He'll cost less than half of Jones. His pressure percentage was 11th best in the league. If the new-look middle forces the pocket to collapse, he'll get more sacks. Hughes for 5mil > Jones @ 15mil.  Plus we know he's good in the locker room.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

We couldn’t get it done with veterans Hughes/Addison along with the rotation of Epenesa, Groot and Basham but you’re telling me we are just going to throw them to the wolves and hope for the best? I highly doubt that, that would be a big mistake imo. It’s time to put the big boy pants on and go get a real pass rusher while the kids mature.

Bills pass rush win rate was 6th in the league.  That's the percentage the defensive lineman apply pressure in 2.5 seconds. 

I'd say that's getting it done.  

4 minutes ago, Lothar said:

I'm ok with getting Hughes back. He'll cost less than half of Jones. His pressure percentage was 11th best in the league. If the new-look middle forces the pocket to collapse, he'll get more sacks. Hughes for 5mil > Jones @ 15mil.  Plus we know he's good in the locker room.

Much too sensible.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Yeah what were they ranked in sacks?

Don't know.   McDermott wants pressures.   Sacks are nice, but in his world pressures are what make the defense work. 

So, if you keep wanting more of things that McDermott doesn't care about, you're going to be continually disappointed.  

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Regardless of whatever McDermotts plan is, I'm glad they are adding to the defense even with a top 5 defense last season. I think some coaches would settle with what the bills d did last season. Glad McDermott/beane are trying to improve it still

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I think the plan for the pass rush is about what you say, and it's pretty obvious. 

McDermott wants pressure, pressure, and more pressure.   He wants it off the edge and up the middle.  And he wants it with four guys.   

He like mobile guys on the end, guys who have some strength, some quickness, some speed.  He wants them to be relentless, and he wants them to hold the edge against the run.  He wants the tackles to be strong enough to hold the point of attack, but skilled enough to get upfield so that the QB feels the pressure up the middle and kept step up to avoid the rush from the edge.  

Not that that's all that original; it's basic football.  But it's what McDermott strives for.  

He has Oliver in the middle, but he really hasn't had a second guy to get pressure inside.  Harry gave him some of that late in the season, and Star on occasion, but he wanted and needed someone more consistent.  

I think in his heart of hearts, he doesn't want a star edge rusher or an Aaron Donald.  He doesn't think the model is to have a guy who must be double-teamed constantly.   He wants four guys, each of whom is going to win his one-on-ones sometimes, so that the defense really doesn't know who to double.   With guys who pretty strong and pretty quick (look at all the Bills edge rushers, and even the tackles), he can play games with them, move them around, find ways to create advantages.  

I think he has the DEs he wants to work with (for this season; he'll need help there soon), and I think he has guys now who can give him what he wants in the middle.  

I think it's amazing how they've been on five-year of continuous upgrades to the roster.  

His model doesn’t work against KC when it mattered the most… trying the same thing for the third year in a row is insanity….

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Don't know.   McDermott wants pressures.   Sacks are nice, but in his world pressures are what make the defense work. 

So, if you keep wanting more of things that McDermott doesn't care about, you're going to be continually disappointed.  

Pressure with out sacks doesn’t cause a loss of yardage and allows qb’s like Mahomes and Brady to eat us alive. It works against Tua & Jones and those types, but we aren’t seeing those types in the latter rounds of the playoffs…

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I've never heard McDermott ever say he doesn't want sacks. That doesn't make any sense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.