Bills assistant coaching moves

Draconator

17 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

Carolina connection rings again, bounced around a lot like Daboll, got the most out of Cam and some change is good for the qb room esp for the guys behind Josh.

Not sure I like this much. Down here in Charlotte Mike Shula was public enemy #1 for his predictable game planning and play calling. 

The Brady hire was fine, but this one seems a bit baffling. I was kind of hoping they would just give the keys to Dorsey and let him drive without the extra "support". 

Edited by buffblue
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Not sure I like this much. Down here in Charlotte Mike Shula was public enemy #1 for his predictable game planning and play calling. 

The Brady hire was fine, but this one seems a bit baffling. I was kind of hoping they would just give the keys to Dorsey and let him drive without the extra "support". 

well Cam was MVP and got to the super bowl...we dont know for sure, but this could very well have been Dorsey's request to begin with, or more likely if the HC says you need to hire an experienced "consultant" he got to pick his guy...

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Brady, Kromer and Shula all have play calling experience in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

Just seeing the Shula name associated with the Bills is kind of unsettling for some of us old-timers... 

And seeing the name "Brady" associated with the Bills isn't unsettling at all???  😉

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

Just seeing the Shula name associated with the Bills is kind of unsettling for some of us old-timers... 

It’s unsettling to this old timer because he is the OC who got $#|+ knocked out of Cam.

The last thing we need is someone encouraging our OC to beat up Josh some more👿

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My first thought when I read about the moves was "ooooh, too many cooks".

Dorsey now has the OC he worked for as a QB coach for the Panthers, the Panthers former OC, and a former Bears OC, all on his staff

Since I think it's a "given" that all these guys have egos.....it seems like a lot.  I don't think it usually works out that well when one guy who used to be your boss winds up reporting to you.

On the other hand.....they all do know each other, so hopefully they have the roles and responsibilities worked out

I don't think it's really the same in the NFL as your regular sort of job. There's a lot of guys working for guys that used to work for them. If you have a problem with it, you'd have a hard time finding a job. 

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Don't like Shula hire on surface..........too many cooks.........but maybe he will be better in this role.   Who knows.

I thought Shula has been a good OC, so I'm not sure what "better in this role" means - he  got more out of Barkley and out of Daniel Jones than anyone else has managed.

But "too many cooks" was very much my reaction.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My first thought when I read about the moves was "ooooh, too many cooks".

Dorsey now has the OC he worked for as a QB coach for the Panthers, the Panthers former OC, and a former Bears OC, all on his staff

Since I think it's a "given" that all these guys have egos.....it seems like a lot.  I don't think it usually works out that well when one guy who used to be your boss winds up reporting to you.

On the other hand.....they all do know each other, so hopefully they have the roles and responsibilities worked out

Oh Does He Now.

I agree.  Dorsey needs his own voice, not a couple of OC washouts hovering about.  "Senior Offensive Assistant" seems like a hedge against Dorsey in  that it's an unnecessary position.  If Dorsey is your choice as OC then he's ready to run the Offense.  If you think he needs these other guys around then why was he chosen?

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 hour ago, First Round Bust said:

Carolina connection rings again, bounced around a lot like Daboll, got the most out of Cam and some change is good for the qb room esp for the guys behind Josh.

Cam’s SB/2015 year:

3,837 yards passing

636 yards rushing

11 ranked O

6 ranked D

The Panthers caught lightning in a bottle that year and Cam was dialed in. 
     Who was that Cam hater on here at the time? Boyst or something. He used to point out that the Panther’s O was constantly given short fields by the opportunistic D, which was true.

Shula was never celebrated in Charlotte and the words “ creative offensive scheme” have never been uttered in conjunction with his name.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

It’s unsettling to this old timer because he is the OC who got $#|+ knocked out of Cam.

The last thing we need is someone encouraging our OC to beat up Josh some more👿

While I checked " agree" because it also disturbs me that we now have so many bodies involved in the Cam Newton Career Destruction Fiasco involved in the Bills Offensive Brain Trust, I think the question of Cam Newton is....complicated.

Just like Daboll said about "it takes a village" where developing Josh is concerned....I think it takes organizational commitment to develop an OL and run game and quality WR to protect a QB.  Then it takes commitment on the part of the QB to develop his abilities to read the D and to deliver accurate passes all over the field.

There may be something to the notion that Cam Newton played a role in getting the $#|+ knocked out of Cam Newton, by preferring to run over developing certain aspects of his passing game. 

There's also the question of the targets he had.  Greg Olsen was amazing, but Kelvin Benjamin was...inconsistent, and who else?

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I agree.  Dorsey needs his own voice, not a couple of OC washouts hovering about.  "Senior Offensive Assistant" seems like a hedge against Dorsey in  that it's an unnecessary position.  If Dorsey is your choice as OC then he's ready to run the Offense.  If you think he needs these other guys around then why was he chosen?

To be fair, there's a lot of preparation that goes into an offense, and reasons to hire a guy to fill them that go beyond "you think he needs these other guys" in a "needs them them mentally" vs. "needs them to fill organizational needs and prepare"

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Cam’s SB/2015 year:

3,837 yards passing

636 yards rushing

11 ranked O

6 ranked D

The Panthers caught lightning in a bottle that year and Cam was dialed in. 
     Who was that Cam hater on here at the time? Boyst or something. He used to point out that the Panther’s O was constantly given short fields by the opportunistic D, which was true.

Shula was never celebrated in Charlotte and the words “ creative offensive scheme” have never been uttered in conjunction with his name.

It's the opportunistic D that's missing here. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Just wait until the 'Great Purge' in Foxboro after Bill retires/is assassinated.  'Guess Who's Coming to Buffalo'?

image.thumb.jpeg.9348a5c48c07064df5ff1177c0d3b80d.jpeg

This is exactly what I hypothesized in my texts to fellow Bills fans this am.    It's very much the equivalent of the Bills bringing in a Belichick to those of us old enough to have lived thru Shula years.    Though Mike Shula looks even more like his dad with that Shula jaw.    You know Bill hates that mullet.

ELCHB_OWkAU6ueQ.jpg-large.jpg?resize=720

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.