DE #93 Efe Obada -- I would like to sign him back -- How about 3 years for $15M?

HIT BY SPIKES

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Efe Obada is beast in a straight line............but he can't stop and change direction at an NFL-athlete-level...........as we found out.

If he weren't so big and fast there is no way he'd make it out of an NFL camp.

I hope he can hang around and keep getting some pay checks.........wouldn't mind him back as the 9th or 10th DL because he can rush the passer a little........but he's just a depth player and not worth more than the league minimum(no cap impact) because his lack of agility makes him awful against the run.   

Heh.  If he weren't so big and fast, there's no way he'd have made it INTO an NFL camp in the first place.

This might just be me, but I felt that the Bills player personnel situation on DL last year impacted both sides of the ball all season.  They kept what, 5 DT and 6 DE?  It seemed as though inactives on offense and defense must have been a weekly contest^H^H^H^Hversation.  Then which DL to have active.

It almost seemed like the question "Who shall get the active DLman Rose this week?" became an internal distraction vs focusing on developing a smaller number of guys and using them to their best potential against that week's opponents.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Heh.  If he weren't so big and fast, there's no way he'd have made it INTO an NFL camp in the first place.

This might just be me, but I felt that the Bills player personnel situation on DL last year impacted both sides of the ball all season.  They kept what, 5 DT and 6 DE?  It seemed as though inactives on offense and defense must have been a weekly contest^H^H^H^Hversation.  Then which DL to have active.

It almost seemed like the question "Who shall get the active DLman Rose this week?" became an internal distraction vs focusing on developing a smaller number of guys and using them to their best potential against that week's opponents.

Yeah the depth might have hurt the development.   Agree with that.

But when Efe was out there he looked brutal when he had to stop and re-direct.

The highlights of Tim Settle are a good example of a player showing really good stop and re-direct...........and he is a huge DT............as a DE the expectation for mobility is higher..........you really gotta' be good at that to excel in run D..........so even in limited opportunities we got to see just how bad Efe was at that.    That was his rep coming in but I really didn't know why until I saw that bad COD.   

34 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah the depth might have hurt the development.   Agree with that.

But when Efe was out there he looked brutal when he had to stop and re-direct.

The highlights of Tim Settle are a good example of a player showing really good stop and re-direct...........and he is a huge DT............as a DE the expectation for mobility is higher..........you really gotta' be good at that to excel in run D..........so even in limited opportunities we got to see just how bad Efe was at that.    That was his rep coming in but I really didn't know why until I saw that bad COD.   

Bottom line: We both agree he is No Way No How a guy you give a long term $5M/yr contract to or even a 1 year, $5M contract. 

He was an interesting experiment at $1.5M to see if his 2020 stats of 5.5 sacks and 15 QB Hits could be expanded upon and if he could be developed to fill in the gaps in his game, but the answer appears to be "No".

• Like (+1) 1

Are you Efe’s mom? 

13 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Last Year, Efe Obada signed a 1 year, $1,500,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $300,000 signing bonus, $800,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,500,000.

The below is from ==> https://overthecap.com/player/efe-obada/3831/

Career Earnings: $3,475,200

Career APY: $579,200

Potential Earnings: $3,455,400

Total Guarantees: $650,000

Largest Cash Payment: $1,500,000 (2021)

Largest Cap Number: $1,485,294 (2021)

I believe he is now 30 so he is looking for his likely last contract.

Started late, never went to college and has a huge ceiling at 6'6" and 265 lbs.

Obada was part of that NFL International Program.  He is a beast of an athlete.  Hungry for that one sizeable contract.  With very limited playing time and a short history of development he produced the numbers that he did the past 2 years -- one in Buffalo.  The trend is clear.  He is going to learn more and better pass rushing moves.  He will get 10 sacks with more playing time.

He flashed in his 1st season with us.

He only played 8 games and got 3.5 sacks in his first year in our system.

Play him 17 games next year and he gets 10 sacks for the Bills.

Why NOT lock him up for 3 years at $15M total?  I know, it sounds like a lot of money. However, other teams watch video.  They will see a guy who looked raw.  Who flashed.  Who has a high ceiling.

Let me structure the contract for you:

Term ==> 3 years

Total ==> $15M

Signing Bonus ==> $5M

1st Year Base ==> $2M

2nd Year Base ==> $4M

3rd Year Base ==> $4M

Dead Cap Hit After One Year ==> $3.3M

He will get much more than that as a Free Agent.

Every team is looking for pass rushers.

7 Solo Tackles + 3.5 sacks in very limited playing time.

With more playing time, he is starting to show some real results at 29 years old.  Crap!!!  He is only now learning pass rushing moves.

Sign him for 3 years and $15M total -- $5M Signing Bonus plus base of $2M in 2022, $4M in 2023 and $4M in 2024.

He will be 32 years old at the end of that contract and you see what his results are playing every game.

Thoughts?

The most confusing thing to me about this thread is why you think he deserves a 333% annual pay raise?  

What did he do last year that not only makes him worth a 3 year commitment, but also a 333% pay raise?

If you had said sign him back for depth at the same rate for 1 season, maybe.  But to pay him $5M per year after paying him $1.5M last year makes absolutely no sense, let alone for 3 years.

On 3/15/2022 at 3:10 AM, GunnerBill said:

No.

Yes

On 3/15/2022 at 3:23 AM, Doc Brown said:

Obada burner account?

Clever

On 3/15/2022 at 3:32 AM, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Beyond multiplying playing time by past results, what did you see that gives you that red-hot poker to the heiney kind of excitement about him?

I was/am cheering for him, but I didn't feel any, 'Oh, this guy is GOOD' vibes.  

$5M a year for 3 years with only $5M guaranteed requires a "red-hot poker to the heiney kind of excitement"?

Really?

Tough crowd.

On 3/15/2022 at 3:39 AM, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Why did you do this to yourself? :doh:

Did what?

On 3/15/2022 at 3:48 AM, recovery96 said:

How about no

Riveting analysis

On 3/15/2022 at 4:01 AM, Rc2catch said:

I was 100% sold on bringing him in last year. And I do think he made a couple plays but also was manhandled. He had his shot at making an impact on an elite defense and did not show enough to get a multi year deal imo. 

He had very limited plays last year and you have to keep in mind where he is in his evolution as a football player.

On 3/15/2022 at 4:11 AM, 1ManRaid said:

Really playing the long game then.  Created his account in 2003 and only really using it now?

Life can be busy.

Clearly I have been elsewhere pissing off right wingers like that poster.

I have a fan club among the unwashed.

On 3/15/2022 at 6:03 AM, CSBill said:

I'll take him for $1.5 again. He has value at that number.

Or, an even better use of that $1.5, use it to help sign Chandler Jones.

Why?

On 3/15/2022 at 6:12 AM, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

Has he earned a 350% increase?

Did Morse?

Is that the test?

Sounds like a McDonald's employee type criteria.

It is the market and the market alone that determines value when you become a free agent.

On 3/15/2022 at 6:28 AM, H2o said:

Yeah, nah, Obada does not deserve a contract with any resemblance to the structure you provided. He's a depth guy, nothing more. If he wants to come back on another $1.5M deal? Sure. That was the largest contract he's ever gotten and he should be happy to receive anything like it again

On 3/15/2022 at 7:12 AM, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Thanks for posting, Mrs. Obada

Very mature.

On 3/15/2022 at 8:04 AM, First Round Bust said:

thoughts ?  keep the day job and stick to fantasy football...

More of the same.