DE #93 Efe Obada -- I would like to sign him back -- How about 3 years for $15M?

HIT BY SPIKES

Wow some real faulty logic here.   Immigrants get no preference once they make the roster in the NFL.  Obada really struggled vs the run - especially when moved inside.  My little sister could set the edge better.  

He is Just Another Guy in this league at DE and warrants a veteran league minimum contract at this juncture - not a threefold pay increase.  Sorry to rain on your parade here 

5 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Last Year, Efe Obada signed a 1 year, $1,500,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $300,000 signing bonus, $800,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,500,000.

The below is from ==> https://overthecap.com/player/efe-obada/3831/

Career Earnings: $3,475,200

Career APY: $579,200

Potential Earnings: $3,455,400

Total Guarantees: $650,000

Largest Cash Payment: $1,500,000 (2021)

Largest Cap Number: $1,485,294 (2021)

I believe he is now 30 so he is looking for his likely last contract.

Started late, never went to college and has a huge ceiling at 6'6" and 265 lbs.

Obada was part of that NFL International Program.  He is a beast of an athlete.  Hungry for that one sizeable contract.  With very limited playing time and a short history of development he produced the numbers that he did the past 2 years -- one in Buffalo.  The trend is clear.  He is going to learn more and better pass rushing moves.  He will get 10 sacks with more playing time.

He flashed in his 1st season with us.

He only played 8 games and got 3.5 sacks in his first year in our system.

Play him 17 games next year and he gets 10 sacks for the Bills.

Why NOT lock him up for 3 years at $15M total?  I know, it sounds like a lot of money. However, other teams watch video.  They will see a guy who looked raw.  Who flashed.  Who has a high ceiling.

Let me structure the contract for you:

Term ==> 3 years

Total ==> $15M

Signing Bonus ==> $5M

1st Year Base ==> $2M

2nd Year Base ==> $4M

3rd Year Base ==> $4M

Dead Cap Hit After One Year ==> $3.3M

He will get much more than that as a Free Agent.

Every team is looking for pass rushers.

7 Solo Tackles + 3.5 sacks in very limited playing time.

With more playing time, he is starting to show some real results at 29 years old.  Crap!!!  He is only now learning pass rushing moves.

Sign him for 3 years and $15M total -- $5M Signing Bonus plus base of $2M in 2022, $4M in 2023 and $4M in 2024.

He will be 32 years old at the end of that contract and you see what his results are playing every game.

Thoughts?

Your extrapolation is done poorly because he played only against teams he would help against, so that 3.5 sacks likely is only 5 total against everyone. Secondly he is a one trick pony that is useful at times but not against everyone.

5 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Last Year, Efe Obada signed a 1 year, $1,500,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $300,000 signing bonus, $800,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,500,000.

Obada was part of that NFL International Program.  He is a beast of an athlete.  Hungry for that one sizeable contract.  With very limited playing time and a short history of development he produced the numbers that he did the past 2 years -- one in Buffalo.  The trend is clear.  He is going to learn more and better pass rushing moves.  He will get 10 sacks with more playing time.

Why NOT lock him up for 3 years at $15M total?  I know, it sounds like a lot of money. However, other teams watch video.  They will see a guy who looked raw.  Who flashed.  Who has a high ceiling.

Term ==> 3 years

Total ==> $15M

Signing Bonus ==> $5M

1st Year Base ==> $2M

2nd Year Base ==> $4M

3rd Year Base ==> $4M

With more playing time, he is starting to show some real results at 29 years old.  Crap!!!  He is only now learning pass rushing moves.

Sign him for 3 years and $15M total -- $5M Signing Bonus plus base of $2M in 2022, $4M in 2023 and $4M in 2024.

He will be 32 years old at the end of that contract and you see what his results are playing every game.

Thoughts?

Your extrapolation is done poorly because he played only against teams he would help against, so that 3.5 sacks likely is only 5 total against everyone. Secondly he is a one trick pony that is useful at times but not against everyone.

6 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Term ==> 3 years

Total ==> $15M

Signing Bonus ==> $5M

1st Year Base ==> $2M

2nd Year Base ==> $4M

3rd Year Base ==> $4M

Thoughts?

Are you his agent? or his Mommy?

Efe Obada is beast in a straight line............but he can't stop and change direction at an NFL-athlete-level...........as we found out.

If he weren't so big and fast there is no way he'd make it out of an NFL camp.

I hope he can hang around and keep getting some pay checks.........wouldn't mind him back as the 9th or 10th DL because he can rush the passer a little........but he's just a depth player and not worth more than the league minimum(no cap impact) because his lack of agility makes him awful against the run.   

• Like (+1) 1

Obada's contract was a good deal last year.

He was a solid role player, who did OK in our edge rusher rotation.

If he wants a higher salary and more years, let someone like Jacksonville sign him.

Beane can easily replace his production with another DE at around the same price we paid last year.

9 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Why NOT lock him up for 3 years at $15M total? 

You answer your own question.  He only played in 8 games because his overall play didn't merit more playing time.  He did not play at a level that merits a 3 year, $15M contract.