Harrison Phillips to Vikings, 3 year 19.5 million

BillsMafi$

I love Harry as a person and he did play well at the end of the season but this is the type of player that you do not pay. He’s been average and injured over his time with the Bills. Great, great person, good draft pick, but not a player that good teams give big money to. Players come and go, it’s a business. He will always be remembered for being Pancho Billa’s draft pick. And he really embraced  that he was. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I love Harry as a person and he did play well at the end of the season but this is the type of player that you do not pay. He’s been average and injured over his time with the Bills. Great, great person, good draft pick, but not a player that good teams give big money to. Players come and go, it’s a business. He will always be remembered for being Pancho Billa’s draft pick. And he really embraced  that he was. 

I'm kind of there.  Maybe I just can't get over Kim Jones basically calling Harry out in an interview for not being nasty enough as a football player.  At the time, he was probably still struggling with his ACL rehab but he got benched shortly thereafter.  But I've pretty much wondered if he really does bring the "nasty" between whistles.

The bottom line is he's only played one full season since he's been drafted here.  He was inactive 4  games in 2020 and 3 games in 2021.  Now it was pretty much stated by Beane that this was because he was rehabbing his knee injuries and needed more time to "get right" but, that's the bottom line.  45/65 games, and a lot of those games he was only taking 25-35% of the snaps.

He seems like a great person, and I wish him well with the Vikings and the Vikings well with him.  It's possible he will have a great career with them and start 51 games in the next 3 years, but it's also possible his run of injuries will continue.  It's also possible he's getting injured because he has to push himself to his physical limits to play at a high level and when he does that, he risks injury.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Sucks but it's a business yall

I thought Bean was a draft and retain kinda guy but I just don't think they liked phillips that much.

Draft and retain doesn't mean just draft them and keep them.   It means be good at drafting so that the players you draft are good enough to force you to retain them.   Allen, of course is the obvious example.  You want to draft guys who turn out to be so good that you say, "heck, yeah, we're keeping that guy!"

Obviously, Phillips wasn't the kind of player who made McBeane say "heck, yeah!"  And that's why we saw the two signings today.   McB already had decided they could get more in the market than Phillips was likely to give them, and Phillips knew it. 

And from Phillips' point of view, it makes perfectly good sense.  He thinks McBeane are wrong about him, and he thinks he'll prove that, but he also knows he needs a payday.   If he gets a nice offer in a place that makes sense for him, he's going to take it.  This is the contract that can make him able to take care of his family for life.  Pretty important to grab it when it's there.  

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

TBH in retrospect he maybe was not a good draft pick.  Using a third-rounder on a low-ceiling 1T leads to problems because those guys are easy to find and therefore difficult to justify paying.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm kind of there.  Maybe I just can't get over Kim Jones basically calling Harry out in an interview for not being nasty enough as a football player.  At the time, he was probably still struggling with his ACL rehab but he got benched shortly thereafter.  But I've pretty much wondered if he really does bring the "nasty" between whistles.

The bottom line is he's only played one full season since he's been drafted here.  He was inactive 4  games in 2020 and 3 games in 2021.  Now it was pretty much stated by Beane that this was because he was rehabbing his knee injuries and needed more time to "get right" but, that's the bottom line.  45/65 games, and a lot of those games he was only taking 25-35% of the snaps.

He seems like a great person, and I wish him well with the Vikings and the Vikings well with him.  It's possible he will have a great career with them and start 51 games in the next 3 years, but it's also possible his run of injuries will continue.  It's also possible he's getting injured because he has to push himself to his physical limits to play at a high level and when he does that, he risks injury.

I agree with you and Yolo - both good takes.   He's a super guy, and an over-achiever.  McDermott loves those guys, because he sees himself in them.  But McDermott knows that his job requires him to be hard-nosed in the evaluation of his players.   And I would bet that there's enormous mutual respect between McDermott and Phillips for those reasons, so this is probably truly a no-hard-feelings-we're-happy-for-him situation.

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

TBH in retrospect he maybe was not a good draft pick.  Using a third-rounder on a low-ceiling 1T leads to problems because those guys are easy to find and therefore difficult to justify paying.

Well, you're right, certainly, that he wasn't a good pick because he didn't turn out to be as good as the Bills needed him to be.  But I get your point, that this was a talent-evaluation failure, to invest a third in a guy whose physical profile and talent level was limited enough that all you really were going on was his personal determination.   At some point, it doesn't matter how much want-it a guy has, the guy just can't get there.  I think you're right, that they should have seen that he was a low-probability pick.  

38 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wonder if the Bills offered him a contract 

I'm pretty sure Beane and Harry's agent talked and Beane outlined what the Bills thought was fair, while the agent told Beane that they could get more.

Whether they actually made him a formal contract offer, who knows?  If you say we can give you 3 years, $12M plus incentives and the response is "I'm worth $20M" not too much point, is there? 

Will be interested to see the details of Harry's contract, though. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I honestly saw this the same way I was hoping that the bills would not pay him huge money there was times when he sat the bench for an undrafted players Zimmer who is playing better than him and then he had that bad injury

I liked Harry as a person and a player. According to Jeremy Fowler, the Bills wanted him back, but weren't willing to pay what he ultimately wound up getting from the Vikings.

While I wanted him back too, I'm not upset. I think Settle and Jones will more than make up for what we lost in Harry. I'm also leery of paying that much to a guy who only really played high level football for one half of one season while he was here.

I sincerely wish him all the best going forward, but I think the Bills upgraded the DT position and ultimately saved money doing it.

Edited by Logic

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Do we still not want Star?

just curious.

Star is a liability on the field. Wish there was a way to get rid of him. Vikings overpaid for Harry, so best of luck to him.

Edited by par73
add

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

if Phillips had been better and stayed healthier(remember he played injured all last season too)........then he would have gotten paid by the Bills.

This.  I jumped the gun late last season, proclaiming Phillips may have turned into “the guy” the Bills had hoped, but in reality I think that was a little bit of wishful thinking after a few solid games.  I am pleased with the two DL acquisitions yesterday and agree with those who say the Bills’ interior DL looks better this morning, on paper, than it did at the end of the season.

Phillips is indeed a great dude and I’m happy for him to get this payday.  Too bad for him he has to go in his new locker room and see Captain Kirk rather than Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.