Harrison Phillips to Vikings, 3 year 19.5 million

BillsMafi$

On 3/14/2022 at 11:21 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm kind of there.  Maybe I just can't get over Kim Jones basically calling Harry out in an interview for not being nasty enough as a football player.  At the time, he was probably still struggling with his ACL rehab but he got benched shortly thereafter.  But I've pretty much wondered if he really does bring the "nasty" between whistles.

The bottom line is he's only played one full season since he's been drafted here.  He was inactive 4  games in 2020 and 3 games in 2021.  Now it was pretty much stated by Beane that this was because he was rehabbing his knee injuries and needed more time to "get right" but, that's the bottom line.  45/65 games, and a lot of those games he was only taking 25-35% of the snaps.

He seems like a great person, and I wish him well with the Vikings and the Vikings well with him.  It's possible he will have a great career with them and start 51 games in the next 3 years, but it's also possible his run of injuries will continue.  It's also possible he's getting injured because he has to push himself to his physical limits to play at a high level and when he does that, he risks injury.

I remember that interview as well, and to be honest, Harry has never played with a mean streak.  This was said about him coming out of Stanford, strong/tough but not a bully type.  

Harry seemed to be 100% about football all the time and a great teammate/person, so coaches dream to have players like this.  Bills DNA, as Beane/McDermott say.  But, it was time for a change up front and glad they are "re tooling" that group.

On 3/18/2022 at 10:10 AM, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

After seeing how much we will be paying Jones, I wish we could’ve just kept Phillips for less. How does everyone who balked at Phillips’ price tag feel now?

Jones >>>> Phillips

If you want us to have a good run defense, it's a good thing we signed Jones over Phillips.

On 3/18/2022 at 10:10 AM, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

After seeing how much we will be paying Jones, I wish we could’ve just kept Phillips for less. How does everyone who balked at Phillips’ price tag feel now?

How I feel isn’t that Phillips never quite played up to expectations.  He had moments and small stretches of games where he looked very good,  but he he should not have been a priority at that price.  Jones is better.  The combination of Jones, Settle, and Jordan Phillips is a major upgrade to our DT rotation in my opinion.  

On 3/18/2022 at 8:10 AM, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Jones is a better player.

On 3/18/2022 at 7:10 AM, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

My only guess is that Beane wasn't going to be deceived by Phillips playing the best ball of his career on a contract year during the 2nd half of the season.

And the fact he was on the roster bubble entering the season and inactive a good chunk of the first half of the season kind of validates this theory.

It will be interesting to see what he does with the Vikings and if he continues to play well or ends up like Jordan Phillips in AZ after he got paid.

I think Phillips played as well as Jones at the end of the year.  He was a good DT….which is what jones is imo.  Neither are very good imo, but good.  Phillips’ issue is staying healthy and that’s why I’m glad that we swapped them out.  Jones is as durable as they come in the nfl.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.