Harrison Phillips to Vikings, 3 year 19.5 million

BillsMafi$

4 hours ago, Utah John said:

Sorry to see him go, but the Bills couldn't match that offer.  

What kind of compensatory pick does this mean?

A compensatory pick is not automatically awarded to the team just because a UFA signed elsewhere. Comp picks are calculated based on a net loss formula. Players cut by a team who sign elsewhere do not count towards this formula:

"Clubs that lose to other Clubs a greater number of CFAs than they sign or acquire from other Clubs shall be eligible to receive a Compensatory Draft Selection in the College Draft to be held in the following League Year subject to the provisions set forth below."

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Wow I just read that they’re moving to a 3-4… so are they expecting Harry to play a traditional nose tackle role anchoring the 3-4?  That is asking a lot IMO…

Yeah he seems a little light for that. I guess he could play a 3-4 end, but those guys usually have more length. It is a weird fit, but nice for a new coach establishing culture. 

For me, he will not be missed, especially at that price. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Wow I just read that they’re moving to a 3-4… so are they expecting Harry to play a traditional nose tackle role anchoring the 3-4?  That is asking a lot IMO…

I agree. I don’t see that with Harry.  Wish him well though. 

I remember reading an article during the season that said he was playing with a partially torn ligament in his knee and would not get it repaired until after the season.  I assume that he has gotten this surgery by now, even though I never heard anything else about it.  After reading the article, which was about halfway through the season, I worried every game that he would suffer a bigger injury.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-harrison-phillips-says-hell-work-through-playing-with-torn-knee-ligament/article_f6128bfe-4f0c-11ec-9d57-f76e6718387a.html

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

@Sherlock Holmes

I'm with you, Sherlock, I am.  

I also remember the lonely times when only a few of us were on the beach of "Keep Milano Island" until last season when you couldn't even find a place to sit in the sun anymore and the bar line went on forever. 

Yes, he is a great guy, but even forget about that because his metrics for what he meant to the defense were starting to get ridiculous and it showed.  His "high tide" was raising all ships upfront and in the middle of the Bills D and even outside of Buffalo it was getting noticed.

However, I do hope next season this leads them to resigning Oliver, but I really could have lived with those two being together for awhile here.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If this is true they are dumb- though Jeff Wright made it work with Bruce Smith all those years 

5 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

Sorry to see him go, but I get it. He was incredibly kind to my young boys on the autograph line at training camp several years ago. Rock solid dude, maybe the new environment will do him good. 

He's an amazing person. Had the pleasure of meeting him a few times. The world needs more people like him. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

On 3/15/2022 at 12:41 AM, Utah John said:

Sorry to see him go, but the Bills couldn't match that offer. 

Let's be real here.  Yeah, $19.5M sounds like a lot of money, but that's $6.5M/year (and with terms not know, could effectively be less)

The Bills are reported to have signed Phillips replacement, Daquon Jones, for 2 years, $14M with $10.6 guaranteed.  That's $7M a year.

The Bills could absolutely have matched that offer, cap-wise. 

They chose not to.  As Phillips said, "there were multiple teams that placed a higher value on who I am as a football player than Buffalo and that going back was not logical".

In the last 3 years, Phillips has played in 29 out of 49 games, or 59%.  In 7 of them he was a so-called "healthy scratch", and whether it was for performance reasons or (as Beane later implied) because he needed more time to recover from his knee injuries, is unclear.

In the last 3 years, Daquon Jones has played in 49 out of 49 games.

I don't think it's so personal as "who (Harry) is as a football player".  I think it's that "best ability is availability" thing.  He had an ACL tear in college Sophomore year.  He had an ACL tear his 2nd year in the league.  And this season he had a PCL injury. 

Maybe these are freak injuries and now that they're rehabbed, they won't recur and he'll have a long healthy career in the league.  Or maybe there's a systematic injury risk. based on either Phillips particular body geometry or some aspect of how he plays.

I wish him the best!

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Let's be real here.  Yeah, $19.5M sounds like a lot of money, but that's $6.5M/year (and with terms not know, could effectively be less)

The Bills are reported to have signed Phillips replacement, Daquon Jones, for 2 years, $14M with $10.6 guaranteed.  That's $7M a year.

The Bills could absolutely have matched that offer, cap-wise. 

They chose not to.  As Phillips said, "there were multiple teams that placed a higher value on who I am as a football player than Buffalo and that going back was not logical".

In the last 3 years, Phillips has played in 29 out of 49 games, or 59%.  In 7 of them he was a so-called "healthy scratch", and whether it was for performance reasons or (as Beane later implied) because he needed more time to recover from his knee injuries, is unclear.

In the last 3 years, Daquon Jones has played in 49 out of 49 games.

I don't think it's so personal as "who (Harry) is as a football player".  I think it's that "best ability is availability" thing.  He had an ACL tear in college Sophomore year.  He had an ACL tear his 2nd year in the league.  And this season he had a PCL injury. 

Maybe these are freak injuries and now that they're rehabbed, they won't recur and he'll have a long healthy career in the league.  Or maybe there's a systematic injury risk. based on either Phillips particular body geometry or some aspect of how he plays.

I wish him the best!

most sane post !!!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.