Guard Rodger Saffold to Bills per Adam Schefter [now with contract details]]

Process

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

One of the better gaurds in football.  Bring him in and draft a few guys day 2 and day 3.  

I like the "sign one and draft one" concept as well.  Got to have the interior ready to go at the opener and not have to rely on rookies.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

That lines up with Tannyhill (immobile) playing QB rather than Mariota (mobile) before him.   

Just a thought.   I'd say Josh is in that later category, not the former.

Tannehill is immobile? Not as mobile as Josh, Lamar or Kyler. Tannehill did rush for 270 yards and 7 TDs. If he's indecisive, that'd explain being sacked as much as anyone except Burrow. Blame it on the line, receivers or the QB?

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Solid athlete in his younger years. Probably past his prime, but if beach chairs likes him, then I can get behind it.

It's only a 1 year deal.  He probably is close to the end of the road, but for 1 year, he represents a solid improvement to our line, which needs help anywhere it can get it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, buffblue said:

I appreciate your snark.

If we are to remain a pass centric team, would it not make sense to build your line around blockers who excel in that area instead of potentially weakening what you do best? Especially when you have a highly paid, superstar quarterback? Saffold also does not even seem like a fit for the zone scheme that Kromer runs.

And thanks for the amazing revelation that an Oline coach alone does not dictate philosophy. I'm going to venture to guess that one of the reasons the Saints threw the ball so much was because they had absolutely atrocious defenses, and their head coach was, you know, Sean Payton? One of the most progressive, innovative play callers in NFL history. 

On the other hand, McDermott, while having made strides in becoming less conservative, is still a defensive coach by trade. One could easily argue that if the ball hadn't been taken out of Allen's hands the first 2 possessions of the 2nd half against KC, we might be in a very different place now 

I don't think it's crazy at all to question if our commitment to the run is going to increase going into next season, especially given the widely reported rift between Daboll and McDermott.

No snark intended, if that's how it came off. But honestly, our OL wasn't anything to write home about prior to these changes. It was beyond atrocious to start the year, and yeah, Bates added some stability but it was anywhere in the spectrum between a pile of 💩 -->🤮 -->🗑️-->😬-->😐--> "just 👌." "pass blockers vs. run blockers..." To quote Swedish environmental activist Greta Thunberg, "Blah blah blah!!" We weren't a good run blocking OR a pass blocking team!! The 'impressive' sack/qb hit numbers etc. are really just a testament to how much of a beast Allen can be. But I'm not gonna insult you because you're obviously a knowledgeable and I know I'm not saying anything you don't know. But let's not pretend like we are blowing up some great unit and it should've remained as is. I'm not as bullish about Spencer Brown as most are, but I remain excited about the possibilities of what he can do w/ Kromer now than I was before. It's also not as if Kromer doesn't know a sh**ton about pass blocking, either.

Bobby Johnson, imo, seemed like a MAJOR weak link and while, obviously, I was not in the building and haven't ANY details or evidence about the specific goings-on within, it's just mind-boggling what went on with Spain and Teller. He's had botched job after botched job since he joined in 2019. First Wyatt, then the perplexing situation leading to trading Spain for a bag of coupons after benching him for... erm... Brian Winters (yeah... I don't like to think about it either). Idk if Cody Ford might possibly be significantly better than how he's played, but Johnson has had a big hand in it and it wouldn't surprise me at all this year (or if/when he moves on from Buffalo since his reputation is in the dumpster right now) it turns out he was decent or even pretty good and he was just completely broken by how things were run during recent times here.

At the very least, I'm very surprised there's all this premature apprehension and concern that we're just gonna turn JA into a RB-belly feeder and it's going to be about "time of possession" and "slowing the game down," and [insert w/e other similar cliché here]. We're putting the cart miles ahead of the horse and starting a hilariously premature worry campaign that this team is gonna somehow put governor on the offense and Josh Allen entering his prime... before they have even had a single practice!, let alone a single game rep.

The way I see it is that the OL was one of the only parts of this team that was anywhere from a real liability, to subpar, mediocre, and serviceable last season. If anything, the changes should excite people. I'd be way more frustrated if we just kept almost everything the same like we did last year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Areola Grande said:

No snark intended, if that's how it came off. But honestly, our OL wasn't anything to write home about prior to these changes. It was beyond atrocious to start the year, and yeah, Bates added some stability but it was anywhere in the spectrum between a pile of 💩 -->🤮 -->🗑️-->😬-->😐--> "just 👌." "pass blockers vs. run blockers..." To quote Swedish environmental activist Greta Thunberg, "Blah blah blah!!" We weren't a good run blocking OR a pass blocking team!! The 'impressive' sack/qb hit numbers etc. are really just a testament to how much of a beast Allen can be. But I'm not gonna insult you because you're obviously a knowledgeable and I know I'm not saying anything you don't know. But let's not pretend like we are blowing up some great unit and it should've remained as is. I'm not as bullish about Spencer Brown as most are, but I remain excited about the possibilities of what he can do w/ Kromer now than I was before. It's also not as if Kromer doesn't know a sh**ton about pass blocking, either.

Bobby Johnson, imo, seemed like a MAJOR weak link and while, obviously, I was not in the building and haven't ANY details or evidence about the specific goings-on within, it's just mind-boggling what went on with Spain and Teller. He's had botched job after botched job since he joined in 2019. First Wyatt, then the perplexing situation leading to trading Spain for a bag of coupons after benching him for... erm... Brian Winters (yeah... I don't like to think about it either). Idk if Cody Ford might possibly be significantly better than how he's played, but Johnson has had a big hand in it and it wouldn't surprise me at all this year (or if/when he moves on from Buffalo since his reputation is in the dumpster right now) it turns out he was decent or even pretty good and he was just completely broken by how things were run during recent times here.

At the very least, I'm very surprised there's all this premature apprehension and concern that we're just gonna turn JA into a RB-belly feeder and it's going to be about "time of possession" and "slowing the game down," and [insert w/e other similar cliché here]. We're putting the cart miles ahead of the horse and starting a hilariously premature worry campaign that this team is gonna somehow put governor on the offense and Josh Allen entering his prime... before they have even had a single practice!, let alone a single game rep.

The way I see it is that the OL was one of the only parts of this team that was anywhere from a real liability, to subpar, mediocre, and serviceable last season. If anything, the changes should excite people. I'd be way more frustrated if we just kept almost everything the same like we did last year.  

Fair enough, and you raise some good points.

It's true that my and others initial reasons for skepticism may turn out to be unfounded. One other reason that I feel we may become more conservative this year is because we now have a first time play caller. I have a bad feeling that McD is going to exert more influence over Dorsey to remain "balanced".

I agree with Mango's comment that cost plays a huge part in this deal. Maybe with how glowingly Saffold spoke of the Bills we were able to get him on the cheap.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Mango said:

A lot of this really depends on cost for me. 

The people who count are good with the cost, so I’m not sweating it, 

• Like (+1) 1

Healthy, average pass protector, near elite run blocker. I'm guessing they slot him at RG and move Williams to LG where he played in his last season with Carolina. I want Donte Jackson too! They have several decent CB's and Gilmore needs to get paid. D Jackson, T White an T Johnson. Add an elite sack artist at RE and this D looks like ir could be elite.

Just now, GreggTX said:

Healthy, average pass protector, near elite run blocker. I'm guessing they slot him at RG and move Williams to LG where he played in his last season with Carolina. I want Donte Jackson too! They have several decent CB's and Gilmore needs to get paid. D Jackson, T White an T Johnson. Add an elite sack artist at RE and this D looks like ir could be elite.

about that...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffaloaggie said:

Tannehill is immobile? Not as mobile as Josh, Lamar or Kyler. Tannehill did rush for 270 yards and 7 TDs. If he's indecisive, that'd explain being sacked as much as anyone except Burrow. Blame it on the line, receivers or the QB?

He was a WR in college before they switched him to QB.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.