Guard Rodger Saffold to Bills per Adam Schefter [now with contract details]]

Process

7 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Unfortunately it’s not what you like… it’s what the market dictates…

It’s also Whether or not the GM feels that player is worth the market price.  There a Several great value contracts every year.  Just usually not in the first couple days of FA.

1 minute ago, Process said:

So how we feeling about Dawkins-Saffold-Morse-Bates-Brown as the starting line next year?

Seems solid and good enough. Though Brown was down right awful at times last year. Kromer should be able to coach him up. 

Need to add youth and depth in the draft.

That looks better than last years starting week 1 line up.

I still think we draft a guard in day 1 or 2 to compete with Bates.  

So how we feeling about Dawkins-Saffold-Morse-Bates-Brown as the starting line next year?

Seems solid and good enough. Though Brown was down right awful at times last year. Kromer should be able to coach him up. 

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

It certainly ticked upward as the running game became stronger toward the end of the year. However, even early in the year, Allen was very good off play action

I don't have game-by-game stats or know where to find them, but IIRC one point several guys who follow the team were making is that Allen's strong ball skills working from under center were being under-utilized because we were mostly in shotgun, and not running enough from shotgun to sell play action there.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SaffRo20.htm

Best ability availability.  Has played in at least 15 games since 2016

That and his career penalties are pretty low as well.

Year Age Tm Pos No. G  GS  Holding False Start Decl/Offs All Pen.

2010 22   STL LT  76  16 16    2             6           1                  8

2011 23   STL  LT  76    9  9    3            6            1                  9

2012 24   STL  LT 76   10 10   2            3            1                  7

2013 25   STL  RG 76   12  9   0            2            0                 2

2014 26   STL  LG 76    16 16  0           2            1                  2

2015 27   STL  RG 76    5   5   0           2            0                  2

2016 28   LAR  LG 76  15 15    0           3            1                  3

2017 29   LAR  LG 76   15 15   0           1            0                  2

2018 30  LAR  LG 76   16 16    1          4             1                  7

2019 31  TEN LG 76    16 16    0          1             0                 3

2020 32 TEN LG 76    15 15    1           2            0                 3

2021 33  TEN LG 76    15 15   2           2            1                 5

Just now, Process said:

So how we feeling about Dawkins-Saffold-Morse-Bates-Brown as the starting line next year?

I like it, Coach up Tommy D for next year and get a vet in here with flexibility for injuries.

Just now, BrooklynBills said:

played for Kromer for 2 years in LA when McVay first was hired.  Perfect fit for an athletic blocking scheme.  I'm guessing he can play either G position

Oh, is that the connection?  Typically an OL coach likes to bring in a couple of vets who can help teach his techniques, I was wondering who it would be. 

Saffold sure as hell beats out Vlad Ducasse and Jon Feliciano (the last two OL coach additions)

He's played both positions but the fact that he's overwhelmingly played on the L side for years may speak to preference/effectiveness.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that's missing the point, which one of the commentators made IIRC - the Rams kept TRYING to run, so even though the Bengals were stuffing it, they still had to keep defending it - meaning they couldn't just focus their defensive attack on stopping the pass.

Not against maintaining some balance and keeping teams honest. I just question how much emphasis needs to be put on the run game when you have arguably the best player in the game at qb. 

As someone else mentioned in this thread, I would prefer the line to be better pass blockers than run blockers if it can only be one or the other. 

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Yeah.  Saffold seems an odd choice.  We dump Williams because he’s making too much and he’s not a good fit for the zone scheme we’re moving to, but sign an OG that, if I’m not mistaken, fits gap/power and is a good run blocker, but not very good in pass pro.  I haven’t seen the contract details yet, but an early signing usually doesn’t equate to “on the cheap”.  Gonna wait for that though.

How much we pay him is going to answer the million dollar question of if old vets will sign here to chase a championship.  I like the signing.  Guys an absolute beast, played well last year, can tutor draft pick,  doesn't hurt comp pick, will make it so Josh can do an actual realistic play-action, and already knows his 2nd year is a void year.

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Yeah.  Saffold seems an odd choice.  We dump Williams because he’s making too much and he’s not a good fit for the zone scheme we’re moving to, but sign an OG that, if I’m not mistaken, fits gap/power and is a good run blocker, but not very good in pass pro.  I haven’t seen the contract details yet, but an early signing usually doesn’t equate to “on the cheap”.  Gonna wait for that though.

How much we pay him is going to answer the million dollar question of if old vets will sign here to chase a championship.  I like the signing.  Guys an absolute beast, played well last year, can tutor draft pick,  doesn't hurt comp pick, will make it so Josh can do an actual realistic play-action, and already knows his 2nd year is a void year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.