Guard Rodger Saffold to Bills per Adam Schefter [now with contract details]]

Process

Just now, buffblue said:

This is the one thing I questioned when Kromer came back. Does his return indicate a desire to run the football more? The signing of Saffold sure makes you wonder, and if so I'm not a huge fan of that philosophy

Unless this signifies we are going to make a move for a running back. Doubtful but Saffold is not known to be a strong pass blocker.

1 minute ago, billybob71 said:

yeah wasn't this the guy you didn't want them to sign, i thought i read that in another thread

Yea I said I was okay with him as a dust settles type guy once the price came down if he didn't find an immediate taker. Jumping on his early is not what I'd have done.

• Like (+1) 1

scroll down to the penalties secton, one thing I like is a lots of snaps, not many fouls, 6-5 325 pounder,  former tackle

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SaffRo20.htm

update: per team its a one-year deal amt is TBD

update: per Joe B quote - Athletic - Saffold says plan right now is to play left guard - which is where Bates played well down the stretch...

Edited by First Round Bust
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

What I love about this signing....  good run-blocker last year, ranking 11th at his position with a 76.1 PFF run-blocking grade.

Here is your upgrade to the Short yardage blocking and run blocking over all.  And because he as Cut doesnt against the compensatory formula.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Right. That is sort of what I got. I get we have to run the ball better. But if I have to choose between the pass blocker or the run blocker, and I pay my QB $45M+, I’m taking the pass blocker. 

I know we didn’t like the Williams contract. But 12th highest paid OG in the league is trending towards average and we got that production out of him. 

My initial thought is I would have preferred to maybe extend Williams and up his guaranteed money to lower his cap hit rather than pay a premium for Saffold. 

There’s also a strong possibility I am an idiot. So who can really say who is right and who isn’t? 

OK I will say this....Saffold as Not That Guy any more could still be way better than Williams at RG

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

If we're paying 12M for a 34 year-old-guard...yeesh. 

I hope it's less than that.

I’m just going by Beanes history with Free agents.  Always seems to pay more than I’d like.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Eyeroll 2

Just now, wppete said:

Good veteran to have next to Spencer Brown keep him in check so he doesn’t get too wild out there. 

I don’t think he’d be next to brown….hasnt he always played LG since moving inside?

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK I will say this....Saffold as Not That Guy any more could still be way better than Williams at RG

That's exactly how I see it. DWill is best at RT. We have an RT now.

Saffold is an upgrade to DWill, and doesnt stop us from drafting a Guard either.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think he is probably better than some of our guard play last year. But not appreciably so at this stage of his career. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.