Ryan Bates will be tendered by Bills

HappyDays

38 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

2.5 million seems high for a guy that played like 5 games in a 3 year career.

Is the market really that ridiculous?  

For an O-line player who has looked good in the limited snaps he played and can play all 5 positions yes the market is that ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

The higher one was something like 3.85M and we would get 2nd round if somebody paid more? Seems that they gamble that nobody offers more.

I think we still can match any contract offered to him by another team.  Let another team set the market, and then we can decide if he is worth keeping.  As long as its not an absurd number, I think Beane is smart enuf to keep him.

13 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I think we still can match any contract offered to him by another team.  Let another team set the market, and then we can decide if he is worth keeping.  As long as its not an absurd number, I think Beane is smart enuf to keep him.

The only thing is the Giants know him well and need decent oline. Luckily they also have cap issues, but they might take a stab at him here. I'm sure Beane has a plan if we lose him, it will be how many dips we take into the Kromer's kronies bucket to get a replacement.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

15 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

The only thing is the Giants know him well and need decent oline. Luckily they also have cap issues, but they might take a stab at him here. I'm sure Beane has a plan if we lose him, it will be how many dips we take into the Kromer's kronies bucket to get a replacement.

Thats a good point.  Fortunately for us, the Giants pretty much suck. So unless they just go nuts and offer Bates huge money, all things being equal I would assume he would rather play for a championship contender w Josh Allen, then the Giants and Daniel Jones.  

When I think of Kromer and the beach chair incident, I just crack up.  Just another part of the nonsense that was the Bills 17 year playoff draught.  

• Like (+1) 1

Really glad they tendered him.

$2.4M, if that's what he ends up playing for, is peanuts for a player of his talent level.

I don't think that a starting guard job will be handed to him, however. I believe that, all things being equal, the coaching staff liked having Bates as a primary backup for all three interior positions, and that they'd rather he return to that role. I expect them to draft a guard or to sign another one in free agency, and for Bates to have to compete to start. That said, if Bates is clearly one of the two best guards no the roster, I hope they do the right thing and start him -- versatility as a backup be damned.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Really glad they tendered him.

$2.4M, if that's what he ends up playing for, is peanuts for a player of his talent level.

I don't think that a starting guard job will be handed to him, however. I believe that, all things being equal, the coaching staff liked having Bates as a primary backup for all three interior positions, and that they'd rather he return to that role. I expect them to draft a guard or to sign another one in free agency, and for Bates to have to compete to start. That said, if Bates is clearly one of the two best guards no the roster, I hope they do the right thing and start him -- versatility as a backup be damned.

He will be an UFA next year so if he isn't a starter in Buffalo he will want to go somewhere that he has a good chance to be one.

Bills need to find his replacement as a multiple backup this year and let him concentrate at RG.

IMO

4 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

I like it. For whatever reason, I don't think the team too highly, as he was like our 5th choice for Guard, ergo not the highly tender.  What little I know about line play, I've always been impressed by him.  Maybe Beach Chair can make something out of him.

The Bills valued his flexibility being able to substitute for any offense lineman without needing to have others change positions which is why he was treated as a hot spare and 6th lineman in overloaded line.  He was valued very much.  Reminds me of Tasker who Jim Kelly wanted on offense but he was considered more valuable to Marv Levy on special teams.

Happy for Bates. Hope another team doesn't swoop in. I've been pounding the table for him for a couple of years now. I hope he can build on the good end to last season and become a strong starter going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

Hard to tell how much they think of Bates............but I would suspect they would have given him the second round tender if they just wanted him back for one more season as the top interior OL reserve.

This looks like an attempt to get he and his agent to get carried away with that little freedom and negotiate a cheap 3 year $7M total kinda' deal elsewhere so the Bills can match it without looking like they low-balled him.

If Bates believes in himself maybe he doesn't bite on something like that...........but the difference between $1M and $4M-$5M of guarantees might be tough to pass on.    See the Justin Zimmer situation.

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.