2022 Free Agency - Around the NFL Thread

Draconator

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Seems to be movement on the CB market and the Bills aren’t a player for the top guys.

I think Haden makes sense but definitely on the downside of his career.

How would we even know, Beane is invisible when he's dealing with free agents.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Gilmore still is available. Nelson decided winning wasn't everything....or even a consideration....

I think the Colts are signing him. Sending a private jet and everything.

15 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Gilmore still is available. Nelson decided winning wasn't everything....or even a consideration....

And he still didn’t get a big contract. I’m starting to wonder if the Bills have different plans at CB than we’re talking about. We’ll see soon enough.

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Gilmore is not happening. After what we need for Draft Picks and the Bobby Hart signing, we have around 4.5 million. Gilmore's asking price is reportedly somewhere between 10-14 million.

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

And he still didn’t get a big contract. I’m starting to wonder if the Bills have different plans at CB than we’re talking about. We’ll see soon enough.

The plan is obvious. A 1st or 2nd Round CB and the best veteran willing to come at a bargain left standing when the musical chairs stop before Training Camp.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Didn't see this posted. One less vet option.

I'm sure the Bills had a price on Nelson and possibly even a standing offer. I believe the Bills have prices on and probably offers out to other free agents CBs.

Aside from Stephon Gilmore, Joe Hayden, Trae Waynes, Kyle Fuller, Chris Harris, Janoris Jenkins, Bryce Callahan, Jason Verrett, AJ Bouye, Xavier Rhodes,  Greg Mabin and numerous other veteran CBs are still unsigned.

While it's a foregone conclusion the Bills will draft a CB they'll also likely sign a veteran free agent. It could happen before the draft or shortly afterwards. There's enough of a glut that the Bills don't have to overpay or rush a free agent CB signing.

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The plan is obvious. A 1st or 2nd Round CB and the best veteran willing to come at a bargain left standing when the musical chairs stop before Training Camp.

But you never know who’s going to be available. I’m sure there will be 2-3 CBs added in the next few weeks. 

4 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I'm sure the Bills had a price on Nelson and possibly even a standing offer. I believe the Bills have prices on and probably offers out to other free agents CBs.

Aside from Stephon Gilmore, Joe Hayden, Trae Waynes, Kyle Fuller, Chris Harris, Janoris Jenkins, Bryce Callahan, Jason Verrett, AJ Bouye, Xavier Rhodes,  Greg Mabin and numerous other veteran CBs are still unsigned.

While it's a foregone conclusion the Bills will draft a CB they'll also likely sign a veteran free agent. It could happen before the draft or shortly afterwards. There's enough of a glut that the Bills don't have to overpay or rush a free agent CB signing.

Wallace walked for about $3 million cap hit. This contract for Nelson isn’t bad at all. 

Nelson is a player they’ve been interested in. It’s just surprising to me they wouldn’t sign Nelson or even Wallace at these prices. 

Im not being critical of them, I just can’t wait to see what they do. I know there is a plan. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

But you never know who’s going to be available. I’m sure there will be 2-3 CBs added in the next few weeks. 

It won't change the plan. After the signing of Bobby Hart and then money we need to sign our Draft Picks, we only have 4-4.5 million in Cap Space. And with the Diggs deal done, we're about out of ways to clear up any more space - until after the Draft or Training Camp where we may make some releases that could free up some space, depending on how things play out.

And even if something big became available and we had the money that we don't have - Beane isn't the type to pay what we're paying Tre on one side and give a big ole' bag to another CB on the other side. Which is why I fully expect a top pick so that we can have another solid CB opposite Tre, long term and cost controlled. 

I'd expect some help in the form of a veteran with Tre possibly out for the first few games. But it will definitely be a bargain and of the one year variety because after this season, the amount of players we'll need to re-sign or replace is a massive list.

25 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It won't change the plan. After the signing of Bobby Hart and then money we need to sign our Draft Picks, we only have 4-4.5 million in Cap Space. And with the Diggs deal done, we're about out of ways to clear up any more space - until after the Draft or Training Camp where we may make some releases that could free up some space, depending on how things play out.

And even if something big became available and we had the money that we don't have - Beane isn't the type to pay what we're paying Tre on one side and give a big ole' bag to another CB on the other side. Which is why I fully expect a top pick so that we can have another solid CB opposite Tre, long term and cost controlled. 

I'd expect some help in the form of a veteran with Tre possibly out for the first few games. But it will definitely be a bargain and of the one year variety because after this season, the amount of players we'll need to re-sign or replace is a massive list.

We have the ability to clear $10 million in cap anytime. They can literally do anything they want at CB. 

Draft picks, especially late in the 1st are not guaranteed to be ready early in the season. That’s the big issue relying on draft picks.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We have the ability to clear $10 million in cap anytime. They can literally do anything they want at CB. 

Draft picks, especially late in the 1st are not guaranteed to be ready early in the season. That’s the big issue relying on draft picks.

How do we clear 10 million in cap at anytime? 🤨

And if we can literally do whatever we want at CB and can supposedly come up with an unlimited supply of money whenever we want and playing a Rookie is a concern - then why do you suggest we haven't done anything and have let the well pretty much dry up?

Edited by BillsFanForever19

30 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

How do we clear 10 million in cap at anytime? 🤨

And if we can literally do whatever we want at CB and can supposedly come up with an unlimited supply of money whenever we want and playing a Rookie is a concern - then why do you suggest we haven't done anything and have let the well pretty much dry up?

Dawkins, White, and Allen restructures. Convert base into bonus. Comes to around $10 million cap space. There are other things they can do also like extend Poyer or Edmunds.

Many people are wondering that exact same thing.  Why haven’t they secured a CB yet? Why not sign a CB2 over TE2 (Howard) DT4 (Phillips), DE4 (Lawson), CB4(Neal) or WR4 (McKenzie)?  All those depth positions could’ve been drafted and be less than $2 million total cap. Instead they spent a decent amount of cap filling those depth roles while CB2 is left unfilled.

Maybe it’s as simple as they already have a verbal agreement with someone like Joe Haden but are wait to them until after the draft. This is a very likely scenario.

• 3 weeks later...

QB Nick Foles is a Free Agent.

“Chicago Bears general manager Ryan Poles has agreed to release quarterback Nick Foles to allow him to pursue opportunities with other teams as a free agent, according to his agent, Justin Schulman of @AthletesFirst”

Allen

Foles

Keenum

PS Barkley

is it worth the $ and roster spot?

Obviously….can win the playoffs if needed

Edited by Warriorspikes51

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

QB Nick Foles is a Free Agent.

Allen

Foles

Keenum

PS Barkley

is it worth the $ and roster spot?

Huh? 

You want another backup QB..

Edited by Aussie Joe

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.