2022 Free Agency - Around the NFL Thread

Draconator

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I actually dreamt this last night- except we gave the Eagles Edmunds plus #25 for #16...We then signed Wagner, drafted one of top 3 corners, and took a WR in the 2nd round, and all our problems were solved in one night...😉

So… in your dream the NFL went back to the old way of doing the draft and the 1st and 2nd round were on the same day? 

30 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

So… in your dream the NFL went back to the old way of doing the draft and the 1st and 2nd round were on the same day? 

Lol...no, I meant all our problems were solved in one night of me dreaming...but it could definitely be interpreted both ways...😉

12 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Lol...no, I meant all our problems were solved in one night of me dreaming...but it could definitely be interpreted both ways...😉

To be honest, I just really miss the full day draft. My buddies and I looked forward to having full day cook outs etc. every year.

This primetime stuff is for the casuals and I do not like it one bit. I also don’t like that it gives unprepared gms etc more time in between the 1st and 2nd to get things right. Beane would eat the old style draft up. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I think he's probably just making a joke, but he might not have thought this one through all the way.

Lamar refusing/reluctant to negotiate a new contract with the Ravens.  Sounds like he is willing to play for 5th year $$$s and even accept franchise tag potentially.  Image being forced to accept a 40m franchise tag..

It's an interesting strategy pretty much unheard of in the modern NFL..  The QB market has gone bonkers.  So while he waits out the market he makes money.  While the NFL fans and talking heads talk about whether he deserves Allen/Mahommes money, his value is going up naturally.  And too boot, he isn't paying an agent, so he saves those dollars as well.  He does nothing this year, he makes 18M.  He does nothing next year he gets tagged at 40m (presuming his bet on himself pays off, see Baker's cautionary tale).  

Edited by wjag

3 hours ago, wjag said:

Lamar refusing/reluctant to negotiate a new contract with the Ravens.  Sounds like he is willing to play for 5th year $$$s and even accept franchise tag potentially.  Image being forced to accept a 40m franchise tag..

It's an interesting strategy pretty much unheard of in the modern NFL..  The QB market has gone bonkers.  So while he waits out the market he makes money.  While the NFL fans and talking heads talk about whether he deserves Allen/Mahommes money, his value is going up naturally.  And too boot, he isn't paying an agent, so he saves those dollars as well.  He does nothing this year, he makes 18M.  He does nothing next year he gets tagged at 40m (presuming his bet on himself pays off, see Baker's cautionary tale).  

Agree with the last part. According to OTC and Spotrac his salary is $23m this year, so even better for Lamar. The 5th year option changed for the class of 2018. It is no longer pegged on draft position alone, that is why his 5th year option is higher than Baker's.

Lamar is playing this pretty smart IMO. A lot of teams are pulling out of the cap mess from the retraction in the COVID year and the cap is estimated to go up by 10% or so each year. A lot of good QBs were due for extensions and renegotiations. He sat back and let the QB market adjust itself upward.

Per Spotrac Rodgers ($50m AAV), Stafford ($40m AAV) and settling the Watson mess ($46m AAV) pushed the QB ceiling way up. Wilson is probably due an extension soon too and should be north of $40m AAV (though the news is no negotiations are currently underway).

Just a year ago Jackson and Baker Mayfield were being spoke about in the conversation about extensions. By simply staying put he has pulled well ahead of Baker.

From a time-value basis of money you would want the higher salary now, but I think Lamar was smart waiting as he did so far. Starting with the 2018 draft, when a 5th year option is exercised both the 4th and 5th year salaries are fully guaranteed when signed, so Lamar's 2022 5th yr salary of $23m is fully guaranteed.

The same applies to franchise tags. When a Franchise tag is tendered it also is fully guaranteed. The estimated 2023 Franchise tag for QBs is $31.5m up from $29.7m in 2022 according to Over The Cap. That will probably creep up with all the dust settling on these QB contracts.

Assuming the Ravens franchise Lamar for 2024, he has $54.5m all guaranteed by 2024. Not bad.

He may also be waiting to see what happens with R Wilson, but it looks like Wilson's camp is also waiting. I believe players can sign extensions until July 15th. If no extension is agreed to the Franchise Tag mechanism starts after the Super Bowl in 2024.

It looks to me that Jackson waited to let the QB market increase and is more interested in up front guaranteed money through at least 2024.

That may be wise given his play style?

1 hour ago, Magnum Force said:

Hayden, Rhodes and JC Tretter are still out there.  Tretter is a WNYer and wonder if he would consider a lower contract to come home and play for a potential Super Bowl

Bills already have a center. Tretter hasn’t played OT since his early years in the NFL. I’d give sign him as competition for Bates/Brown if he came cheap.

2 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Bills already have a center. Tretter hasn’t played OT since his early years in the NFL. I’d give sign him as competition for Bates/Brown if he came cheap.

Yes I know and was assuming he could transition to guard in my thought process.  Just an idea if the price is right. 

6 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Agree with the last part. According to OTC and Spotrac his salary is $23m this year, so even better for Lamar. The 5th year option changed for the class of 2018. It is no longer pegged on draft position alone, that is why his 5th year option is higher than Baker's.

Lamar is playing this pretty smart IMO. A lot of teams are pulling out of the cap mess from the retraction in the COVID year and the cap is estimated to go up by 10% or so each year. A lot of good QBs were due for extensions and renegotiations. He sat back and let the QB market adjust itself upward.

Per Spotrac Rodgers ($50m AAV), Stafford ($40m AAV) and settling the Watson mess ($46m AAV) pushed the QB ceiling way up. Wilson is probably due an extension soon too and should be north of $40m AAV (though the news is no negotiations are currently underway).

Just a year ago Jackson and Baker Mayfield were being spoke about in the conversation about extensions. By simply staying put he has pulled well ahead of Baker.

From a time-value basis of money you would want the higher salary now, but I think Lamar was smart waiting as he did so far. Starting with the 2018 draft, when a 5th year option is exercised both the 4th and 5th year salaries are fully guaranteed when signed, so Lamar's 2022 5th yr salary of $23m is fully guaranteed.

The same applies to franchise tags. When a Franchise tag is tendered it also is fully guaranteed. The estimated 2023 Franchise tag for QBs is $31.5m up from $29.7m in 2022 according to Over The Cap. That will probably creep up with all the dust settling on these QB contracts.

Assuming the Ravens franchise Lamar for 2024, he has $54.5m all guaranteed by 2024. Not bad.

He may also be waiting to see what happens with R Wilson, but it looks like Wilson's camp is also waiting. I believe players can sign extensions until July 15th. If no extension is agreed to the Franchise Tag mechanism starts after the Super Bowl in 2024.

It looks to me that Jackson waited to let the QB market increase and is more interested in up front guaranteed money through at least 2024.

That may be wise given his play style?

If he has a RG3 type injury this year he gets nothing but backup money at best after this season.  Is it really worth it?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.