How much did you pay for gas and groceries today?

41 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Democrats Just Lost Another Inflation Talking Point. 

“Polls show that no one was buying the blame-Putin strategy, so Biden and the Democrats are now accusing oil companies of price gouging.”

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/matt-margolis/2022/05/13/democrats-just-lost-another-inflation-talking-point-n1597588

If they’d just pick one and stick with it, it would probably be easier for their flock to stay on message. 

• Agree 1

On 5/11/2022 at 10:50 AM, ALF said:

Two weeks ago gas here $4.19 today $4.70 , and that's with 1M barrel a day from reserve. Have a 14 year old Chevy Cobalt , went to the Chevy dealer no small cars or Electric just expensive pickups and SUV . Asked the salesman what's going on don't car companies have to meet high gas mileage average ?  Nope Trump did away with that gas saving nonsense,  a lot more profit selling trucks and the big SUV with the chip shortage . 

Trump administration rolls back Obama-era fuel efficiency standards  03/31/20 

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/490318-trump-administration-rolls-back-obama-era-fuel-efficiency-standards/

Efficiency standards are already far better than the past. The car dealers have SUVs and trucks because that’s what the customers want. If everyone wanted small econoboxes that’s what they’d find on the lot. The people dictate what the auto companies are doing , not the other way around. Fuel costs and supply were just fine under Trump. Incredibly , the last time we saw a big jump in fuel costs was under Obama. That is not a coincidence. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Efficiency standards are already far better than the past. The car dealers have SUVs and trucks because that’s what the customers want. If everyone wanted small econoboxes that’s what they’d find on the lot. The people dictate what the auto companies are doing , not the other way around. Fuel costs and supply were just fine under Trump. Incredibly , the last time we saw a big jump in fuel costs was under Obama. That is not a coincidence. 

Too bad Trump was such a douche bag he couldn’t get himself re-elected.

7 hours ago, TH3 said:

Nobody gets themselves elected. Too bad that just a little over half the American people are so freaking dumb that they fell the con job of a frail old man being able to run a super power and now we’re ALL stuck with him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Nobody gets themselves elected. Too bad that just a little over half the American people are so freaking dumb that they fell the con job of a frail old man being able to run a super power and now we’re ALL stuck with him. 

I'm blaming my dead grandpa for voting twice for Biden.

• Haha (+1) 2

22 hours ago, TH3 said:

15 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Both are true

• Agree 1

Sri Lanka down to its last day of petrol, warns new PM

Sri Lanka’s newly appointed prime minister has said that the cash-strapped island nation has run out of petrol stock, as he said the country desperately needed to secure $75m in foreign exchange in the next few days to pay for essential imports, including medicine.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/5/16/sri-lanka-down-to-its-last-day-of-petrol-pm

Good grief , what the heck else can go wrong, good people are hurting everywhere.

Oil, Gas Employment Will Take Five Years To Recover From Covid: Rystad

The U.S. oil and gas industry lost 200,000 jobs during the pandemic, according to Rystad calculations. This represented 20% of the total workforce in the sector. In 2020 alone, 100,000 oil and gas jobs were lost in the United States—mostly in the drilling tools and services segment.

Now, as demand for oil and gas has recovered—and oil and gas prices along with it—more than half of those jobs have since been added back. But the remainder of the recovery is set to be slower, based on Rystad Energy's oil price scenario where WTI averages $106 this year, $70 per barrel next year, and $50 per barrel in 2025.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Oil-Gas-Employment-Will-Take-Five-Years-To-Recover-From-Covid-Rystad.html

Health care costs for retired Americans expected to surge next year
Medicare Part B premiums are soaring, pushing health care costs higher

On a monthly basis, retirees and older Americans are paying $170.10 for Medicare Part B premium, an amount that is typically deducted directly from Social Security checks. 

Much of the increase this year stems from steeper Medicare Part B premiums for Americans age 65 and older. Medicare imposed a 14.5% increase on premiums for Part B, outpatient coverage, in 2022 – a record high and nearly double that of the national inflation rate of 8.3%.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/health-care-costs-retired-americans-fidelity

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

Health care costs for retired Americans expected to surge next year
Medicare Part B premiums are soaring, pushing health care costs higher

On a monthly basis, retirees and older Americans are paying $170.10 for Medicare Part B premium, an amount that is typically deducted directly from Social Security checks. 

Much of the increase this year stems from steeper Medicare Part B premiums for Americans age 65 and older. Medicare imposed a 14.5% increase on premiums for Part B, outpatient coverage, in 2022 – a record high and nearly double that of the national inflation rate of 8.3%.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/health-care-costs-retired-americans-fidelity

If this administration had any brains they would roll back that Medicare premium increase to 2020 levels or lower.  Oh BTW there are copays and out of pocket costs that parts B/D don't cover.  It can get real expensive.  

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

If this administration had any brains they would roll back that Medicare premium increase to 2020 levels or lower.  Oh BTW there are copays and out of pocket costs that parts B/D don't cover.  It can get real expensive.  

Very , I've been retired and on medicare. Looks like they turned over management to Advantage plans that have lower  copay that I experienced so far. So many of these plans out there and different , have to do your research to get one that is right for you.

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Very , I've been retired and on medicare. Looks like they turned over management to Advantage plans that have lower  copay that I experienced so far. So many of these plans out there and different , have to do your research to get one that is right for you.

I have a broker who did my wife’s plan who I refer to my retired clients.  

And with premium means testing (IRMAA) it can get real steep.  They look back two years so if you make a ton of money two years before you retire and your income drops considerably at 65 watch out.  Not to mention at 72 when your required distributions kick in. 

Here in Lockport $4.67 - $4.89  most are $4.79  

https://www.gasbuddy.com/gasprices/new-york/lockport

My senior discount haircut went from $12.95 to $20.50 (they said rent went way up) the assessment on my house doubled , I don't ever plan to sell,  this is where ALF passes to the hereafter.

The mother of an 8-month-old, Liliana, said her family from Mexico is "coming next week, and they are bringing some formula."

"If my family didn’t come, I'd be very, very worried," Liliana added. She said she would consider moving to Mexico if she can't find formula.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/amid-baby-formula-shortage-mothers-express-fears-one-receiving-product-from-mexico

Edited by ALF