Surprised not hearing more Bills restructures/cuts

jahnyc

2 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I think Daryl Williams should take a paycut if he's playing guard. He did not play anywhere near the same level as his first year in Buffalo.

Seems to me I had a little look, and guards actually command higher salaries than RTs.  Maybe the top 4 RTs make more than the top 4 guards, but Williams is actually the 10th highest paid RT but would be the 15th highest paid guard. 

I don't think he's a guy you ask to take a pay cut: I think he'd say "then give me a cut cut", and given the Bills current depth at tackle I think that would be a dingbat move.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I am genuinely surprised Diggs hasn’t gotten his extension yet.  Regardless of the FA plan, that’s going to happen.  So what’s the hold up? Unless it’s Diggs’ camp

I think it's Beane's SOP.  He likes to go through FA, then the draft, then the extensions.

I know we're all looking at the elephants in the corner and seeing that the Big Cap Change could come by an extension that reduces his cap hit this year, but I don't think that's how Beane works.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it's Beane's SOP.  He likes to go through FA, then the draft, then the extensions.

I know we're all looking at the elephants in the corner and seeing that the Big Cap Change could come by an extension that reduces his cap hit this year, but I don't think that's how Beane works.

I agree, but I also believe this is slightly independent of that.  Yes, the cap adjustment is helpful now as FA is about to begin. But moreso, this was when the extension was always rumored to happen on behalf of Diggs.  So knowing that, or if it’s true, why wouldn’t you do it now when you can achieve both benefits. 

If they were just restructuring for the sake of the cap, then I would agree. 

2 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Why?  The unused money just rolls over to the next year.  If it’s an extension I get your point, but a restructure should be a wash.  

Because that provides the team with less flexibility in the future.

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Seems to me I had a little look, and guards actually command higher salaries than RTs.  Maybe the top 4 RTs make more than the top 4 guards, but Williams is actually the 10th highest paid RT but would be the 15th highest paid guard. 

I don't think he's a guy you ask to take a pay cut: I think he'd say "then give me a cut cut", and given the Bills current depth at tackle I think that would be a dingbat move.

Teams have only one starting RT, but 2 starting guards. RT's make more money on average. Average salary for a RT is $5 million. Average salary for a guard is $2.4 million.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'd argue that might be twisting it a bit. I do see your point, but right tackle is only one roster spot. Meaning when you get down to #16, you're at the middle of the league's starters.

Guard is two roster spots, left and right, so when you get down to #16, you're still in the top 25% of starters.

Comparing RTs with your choice of RG or LG would be fairer. But a pain in the butt as I don't know how anyone would find guards listed in those categories without going person by person, which would be take a lot of time.

EDIT: Ah, already mentioned above.

As for Williams, you could certainly be right. I'm not convinced. I don't think he's playing up to his contract, and I think this could go either way. I could see them keeping him, or asking him to take a cut or take off. If you save $6.75M by cutting him, which is what it seemed to me, and if $4.35M of this year's salary guarantees on 3/20, it's something they'll probably consider.

We should know what they do very soon. If he's on the roster on the 21st, he'll likely be here for the year.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

We won’t hear about things until they’ve happened look at what happen with little dirty most people saw him going somewhere else for more money like to the Giants for instants and Bam it was just done

It was a real shame that we lost Dorsey too.

Yeah, Milano has a $9.97M cap hit this year, that rises to $12.75 if he's cut.  He will not be released, that would be Stupid.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/matt-milano-21905/

I admire you in that you look up the stats without insulting the idiotic poster.

• Haha (+1) 1

Agree 1000%.  I personally don't think Williams play was subpar at all.  I think last year was just such a pleasant surprise, and he far exceeded expectations, whereas this year he, IMO, leveled off and played pretty consistent football. I would not include him amongst the bigger issues I had with the lines play this past season.

12 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Agree 1000%.  I personally don't think Williams play was subpar at all.  I think last year was just such a pleasant surprise, and he far exceeded expectations, whereas this year he, IMO, leveled off and played pretty consistent football. I would not include him amongst the bigger issues I had with the lines play this past season.

He’s certainly not the best guard, and he’s been inconsistent over the course of his career…. However, Williams is certainly capable of blanking a pro bowl pass rusher at RG or RT when he’s firing in all cylinders. Definitely not the worst contract on the roster. Particularly when he eliminates the need for a swing tackle. 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

He’s certainly not the best guard, and he’s been inconsistent over the course of his career…. However, Williams is certainly capable of blanking a pro bowl pass rusher at RG or RT when he’s firing in all cylinders. Definitely not the worst contract on the roster. Particularly when he eliminates the need for a swing tackle. 

Agree completely.  Again, I have to ask myself, was Williams play subpar this past season, or was his play LAST season such a positive surprise that this past season his mediocrity at his position caused me to feel as if his play dropped off....

6 hours ago, jahnyc said:

I am surprised that there has not been more information coming out about restructurings of current contracts with certain players (i.e., Morse, Dawkins, etc.), cuts or salary reductions (Beasley, Williams, others as possibilities), extensions (i.e. Diggs) or even tenders to restricted free agents (i.e,. Bates).  Maybe there haven't been any restructures other than the ones reported so far, but that would be odd to me given the rumors of the Bills' interest in a number of free agents and associated need for cap room.  Same with possible cuts.  I thought the Bills would extend Diggs to get more cap space, but Beane said there have not been conversations about this.

I would understand the hesitancy to restructure White's contract given his injury, but there are a number of other contracts that could be restructured freeing up cap space.  Will be interesting to see if there have been restructures or reductions in salary that have not been reported yet.  There also were a lot of rumors that Morse was going to retire.  I assume that he would have decided by now if he was going to do so.  As for additional cuts, I would have thought the Bills would make them before the start of free agency to give the players the best opportunity to find employment with another team.

Why do that have to do these things now before they make any moves?

Wouldn’t that signal intentions and give others value that they have to out bid you?

You have to be under the CAP at the start of FA period and then the CAP shifts to top 51 salaries - and you can go through the tampering and signing period and make deals without the restructuring in place - then you restructure when you need to - therefore only having to do what you need - when you need it.

Beane has done this year over year - including restructuring Diggs and White late after FA last year to free up the rookie money and salary for emergency signings and cut players.

There is no need to rush these things - decisions like Beasley can come after the first wave if they want - especially if teams miss out on Kirk or maybe he decides to restructure if nothing is going his way.

5 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Why?  The unused money just rolls over to the next year.  If it’s an extension I get your point, but a restructure should be a wash.  

because restructuring moves dead cap money to future years...it's why teams like the Saints are usually over the cap every year

6 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I think Daryl Williams should take a paycut if he's playing guard. He did not play anywhere near the same level as his first year in Buffalo.

Guards and RT are comparable in price and his salary slotted him in higher as a RT than as a guard.  

That was why the deal worked for both sides - he was slotting into a range that fit both his previous years RT play and if they moved him around guard play.

He might or might not rework anything.  At some point you need guard play and that is different than tackle - so he trained and studied as a tackle and then when needed shifted to guard and was adequate.  

Let’s see how other things go before we open new holes on the team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.