Edit! McKenzie is back on a 2 year deal worth 4.4 million

BillsMafi$

2 minutes ago, Malazan said:

I'm assuming they sign somebody in addition to Hodgins/Stevenson and they draft someone. I will say, if they obtain a solid 2nd TE, maybe they forego the mid-tier vet. I'd expect them to have another WR3 type of guy besides Mckenzie regardless of what they do in the draft. 

We’ll see in this next month.   It’s possible, but they have other needs than to spend on another mid-tier WR.  I’m sure we’ll see camp body type WRs.  Solid vets who fans love in pre-season who wind up released in August.

45 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He is nowhere close to Hill. McKenzie and his 4.42 speed at his size is really not a big deal. Beasley ran a 4.49. He is shifty, but McKenzie ain’t anywhere close to Hill. I think he has a role, but he isn’t a game breaker. I think this is an overpay. 

Stopwatch speed aside, McKenzie is nowhere close to Hill. On the other hand Beasley is nowhere close to McKenzie.

McKenzie's speed and quickness were on constant display even on the fake jet sweeps. Maybe Beasley has a resurgence but last year he was basically falling down to avoid hits after catching the ball. It was honestly one of the most pathetic run after the catch seasons I can ever recall by a receiver.

Beasley is not the same player he was two years ago. Maybe he regains his mojo, maybe he doesn't.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Very good news; the first of hopefully many good things to come this off season.   The fastest Bill,  a player who has been under utilized and now till get the ball more. Mckenzie will become a much more integral part of this offense now.

You can't lose McKenzie and Beasley, and I prefer they bring back Beasley too. 

A good and reasonable contract.  Good leadership and locker room presence, another important trait.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Putin said:

8 freaking MILLION That’s a lot of candy !!!!

Never run with the first reported contract number. My guess is the base is decent, but with incentives to reach "up to 8 million". 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, whorlnut said:

Agree. Hopefully it also doesn’t mean that we don’t try to upgrade in the draft. 

I doubt it changes their draft plans.  They were always likely to sign a bargain veteran to bridge the gap until the rookie was ready to take over. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

McKenzie has paid his dues as a Buffalo Bill.

Time to see what he can do in the slot full time.

Plus Josh loves him, which is most important.

Diggs, Davis, Knox, Singletary and McKenzie give the Bills top of the line weaponry and there aren't too many footballs to go around outside of those five.

And the oldest one is Diggs at 29. Beautiful 

That is not top of the line weaponry. Once you get to the playoffs that group of skill players is very average. 

I love the signing but people need to stop overrating our skill position players. 

Still need another playmaker on offense badly, this should not stop us from taking a WR in the first two rounds. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Process said:

That is not top of the line weaponry. Once you get to the playoffs that group of skill players is very average. 

I love the signing but people need to stop overrating our skill position players. 

Still need another playmaker on offense badly, this should not stop us from taking a WR in the first two rounds. 

Good news. I've checked with my sources and McKenzie's contract does not have any stipulation saying that the Bills can not sign or draft any more wide receivers. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Process said:

This signing makes drafting a WR less of a priority. McKenzie may very well have a bigger roll in the Bills pass offense. I think he is up to the task. His speed can be utilized in various ways and Allen and him seem to be a nice combo. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting him to be T. Hill. However, he can be a solid contributor and make others better. I like the signing. 

5 minutes ago, Process said:

Yeah, 12 TD's in two playoff games is pretty f-n average, isn't it?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

This is an overpay IF McKenzie doesn’t improve on his numbers from last year. I am guessing the front office and coaches met to discuss what his role will be. McKenzie will get his shot since Beasley won’t be on the roster most likely. My concern with McKenzie has always been durability due to extra touches. 

Have that partner of his put some meat on his bones.

20 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

At the end of the year, Singletary played well and so did Bates. Are yoy willing to bet that is sustainable? I’m not. Not even close. I’m more inclined to think their true selves are somewhere between “meh” and average. 

This happens when guys come in late in the season and the rest of the league is beat to hell.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.