Non-football Football Sunday Dolphins at Bills Divisional Playoff 1990

Chandler#81

Does anyone have a link to the 1980 season divisional playoff game between Bills and Chargers (Jan. 3 1981)?

I have searched, but unable to find any video of this game - could only locate video of regular season match-up.  Despite the loss (20-14), I remember how great a game it was - a real gutsy performance by Joe Ferguson.

Thanks for posting this. Again, this brings back great memories.

Best part of the game:

Thurman Thomas post-game interview (I watched this on TV on NBC either in the post-game show or the news as a child, and was in total agreement with what he said):

"I was kind of ticked off about the way they talked about us. At this point and time I really don't think Miami gave us the respect we deserve, really, cuz the way they shoot off at the mouth saying they didn't play well the last time we were up here. I think they played pretty damn good today, but they got their ass kicked."

Awesome!!! Yeah, they did play well, but they still got crushed. LOL. They were always an arrogant bunch.

You can see his actual line at the interview here [at 38:56]:

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

Does anyone have a link to the 1980 season divisional playoff game between Bills and Chargers (Jan. 3 1981)?

I have searched, but unable to find any video of this game - could only locate video of regular season match-up.  Despite the loss (20-14), I remember how great a game it was - a real gutsy performance by Joe Ferguson.

I downloaded it when it was posted on YouTube in 2015 (it was posted as 1st half and 2nd half), but when I searched for it just now online, it was not there. I can try to upload it some time, but it is not high on my priority list, to be honest.

4 minutes ago, chongli said:

I downloaded it when it was posted on YouTube in 2015 (it was posted as 1st half and 2nd half), but when I searched for it just now online, it was not there. I can try to upload it some time, but it is not high on my priority list, to be honest.

No problem - just glad to know it exists still - was beginning to think it was completely lost or something - thanks for response.  I normally don't enjoy re-watching a loss, but was a good competitive game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ChasBB said:

No problem - just glad to know it exists still - was beginning to think it was completely lost or something - thanks for response.  I normally don't enjoy re-watching a loss, but was a good competitive game.

It was a great game. I was devastated after the loss after thinking the Bills would win all this time, Fergy on a bad ankle and all. I will see if I can post it (I can do it in the background), and will save this thread and notify you if/when I do it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, chongli said:

It was a great game. I was devastated after the loss after thinking the Bills would win all this time, Fergy on a bad ankle and all. I will see if I can post it (I can do it in the background), and will save this thread and notify you if/when I do it.

Awesome - thank you!!

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/13/2022 at 10:03 AM, ChasBB said:

Awesome - thank you!!

Well, now 3-1/2 months later, I just posted the two halves of the Buffalo at San Diego 1980 playoff game on YouTube, but after they were uploaded, they automatically got blocked for copyrighted material, even though YT is originally where I go them from years ago. Maybe that's why they got pulled back then in the first place. Not happy that I spent all this time doing this. Here I was all excited you, @Chandler#81, and many in the Bills community would be happy to see these. Not sure what else to do.

videos-blocked.jpg

Edited by chongli
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Memories, like the corners of my mind.  I graduated from college that year.  I was always so excited for a Kelly/Marino game.

Younger guys think of epic battles of Brady/Manning, but this was the real rivalry.  You can’t really say that of Elway, Montana, etc. like Kelly/Marino.  They were epic games.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, chongli said:

Well, now 3-1/2 months later, I just posted the two halves of the Buffalo at San Diego 1980 playoff game on YouTube, but after they were uploaded, they automatically got blocked for copyrighted material, even though YT is originally where I go them from years ago. Maybe that's why they got pulled back then in the first place. Not happy that I spent all this time doing this. Here I was all excited you, @Chandler#81, and many in the Bills community would be happy to see these. Not sure what else to do.

videos-blocked.jpg

My bad.  I requested YouTube take down any videos showing the Bills losing.  Sorry. Not sorry. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Does it get any better than that?

Bills home game in the snow...

Kelly to Reed...

Kelly to Lofton...

Kelly to Thomas...

Kelly vs Marino

Van Miller on the call...

NFL Films-like narration!

Unfortunately, I missed that game. Was on a deployment flight for Desert Storm!

This also makes me miss Van Miller. Man, how I'd love to hear him call a Josh Allen game! 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

Kelly to Reed...

Kelly to Lofton...

Kelly to Thomas...

Kelly vs Marino

This also makes me miss Van Miller. Man, how I'd love to hear him call a Josh Allen game! 

I get Goosebumps when I think about how awesome the NFL was back then!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2022 at 1:32 AM, chongli said:

videos-blocked.jpg

I've been lurking lately w/o actually logging-in, so I'm just seeing this today.  Thank you very, very much!!  This is great!

1 hour ago, ChasBB said:

I've been lurking lately w/o actually logging-in, so I'm just seeing this today.  Thank you very, very much!!  This is great!

Hey. no problem I'm sorry they wouldn't post. YouTube must have somehow marked them as banned videos, lol.

[If anyone has any ideas how to actually post them without drawing the NFL's ire, let me know!]

On 6/25/2022 at 10:49 AM, Fleezoid said:

Kelly to Reed...

Kelly to Lofton...

Kelly to Thomas...

Kelly vs Marino

I was working on Capitol Hill that day, as the House was taking the vote in support of the imminent combat activities...thank you for your service.

Had to go back and forth on the office TV between CSPAN and the game. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.