Are We Setting Ourselves Up For Disappointment?

H2o

Obviously, they can't sign every player that they are rumored to be interested in...but I will actually be surprised if they don't make some sort of "big" acquisition.  Every year we hear about teams being up against the cap, and every year we wonder how teams that are supposed to be so cap strapped, manage to sign big handfuls of free agents.  I know Beane/McDermott will play it smart, and responsibly, but they will find a way to make cap space.  Extend/re-work contracts for guys who you expect to be around another 3 or 4 years...DIggs, Poyer, Morse...Josh? They all want to get paid, but they all want to win too.  Sure, this kind of cap management can lead to headaches down the road, but the Bills "window", while not closed, is not as open as it used to be.  The AFC West could easily have 3 or 4 teams in the playoffs...if DeShaun Watson ends up in Pittsburgh or with the Jets (it's a rumor) the field only gets stronger....the Bills have to build for a run in 2022.  Allen will keep them relevant for the next decade, but they may never have a chance to have as strong a roster....I expect a bold move or two...Gronk and Hunter?  Gronk and Jones?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1

We have holes in our roster. Beane's motto for the roster is to never have gaping holes in the roster going into the draft. We are either going to resign our own free agents or sign other guys maybe not the name guys everyone is thinking but someone and that's all I am expecting anything better than that Like a Chandler Jones or Gronk is icing on the cake to me. I'm fully expecting signing guys I'd never heard of. For example, Poyer and Hyde in the past, and we all know how that worked out, so I am not going to stress who we sign. Just hope for the best and enjoy the rumors. So no disappointment here for me at least. Just fun until we see who we end up with.

Edited by dje85

3 hours ago, H2o said:

I know we, the fans, are hype about FA. Our team is finally good again and positioned to be that way for a while. We're seeing the Bills linked to a bunch of big names and seeing reports that some have even reached out to us. We are really just an impact player or two away from hoisting a Lombardi. I can't help but think that maybe we're expecting too much and aren't going to see the big moves we were hoping for. Hope I'm wrong, but going big in FA doesn't seem like Beane/McDermott style. 

I think many are.

I'm pretty hopeful myself, because I expect maybe one biggish guy, not genuinely big, but biggish, and then a bunch of low- to medium-level pickups. I think that's reasonably likely.

I'm really confident overall, though. Beane has been absolutely excellent. He's put together absolutely excellent rosters two years in a row.

• Agree 1

Fans want everything. Sign all the big names in free agency. Trade all the draft picks for elite players. Somehow trade up and draft all the best prospects in the draft (even though you already traded all your picks away), while simultaneously trading down to get way more draft picks. Completely ignore the cap because it is fake, but also don't sign and pay any guys to play special teams because that's a waste of the fake cap space. Cut all the crappy players who aren't all-pros.

I don't think fans are ever really reasonable and I am glad fans are far away from managing an NFL roster.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It will be sign the current Bills as necessary and then it will be 1, maybe 2 guys in FA that matter.  Difference makers?  Meh, but they will add to the team.

I just don’t understand how some think the cap is nothing, but then don’t consider that not everybody we are letting go of falls under the category of “away with you! You displease us!”.

Some of those guys have to go because we don’t have the cap space and it is not like a ton of space was freed up.

Of course They can make more moves, but not enough to make such a remarkable splash that they can go after anybody in the market.

I kinda feel like the Bills ran into serious bad luck with Covid, just as we were hitting the prime time of our super bowl window, and with Josh’s rookie contact...the timing, of the cap decrease, literally came at the worst possible time, and cost us a our best shot at a title imo...

Sure, we will always be in the mix because of Allen...But make no mistake- it wasn’t supposed to be this way- where we were this restricted by the cap...Had everything stayed normal, we would have had the extra cap room to sign those top players to put us over the top...

In the end, you can’t help but think that it kinda makes sense that something like this happened to the Bills- it had to...After all, we are the Bills, right... And nothing ever really works out the way they’re supposed to, for our beloved team...

But maybe I’m wrong, and we’ll all be shocked by a move Wizard Beane pulls off...time will tell...But the ghost of disappointment is a feisty one, and she lurks constantly, with a grin that says “I dare you”...😉

• Thank you (+1) 1

Brandon Beane has proven to be the equal of Bill Polian to me -perhaps better given the effort required to finagle the Cap. McDermott has proven successful in acquiring excellent coaches who share his principles and the Pegulas have proven they’ll write the checks to acquire recommended assets. Rest assured, they’ll all do their very best to field the best team they can for this season as well. Everything else is left to what happens on the gridiron. Far too many fans of the team conveniently overlook these truths to espouse their witless venom and their shell shocked empty history. 

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Life is pain.

it’s definitely overrated.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

we have the best player in the league in josh

we are one of the favorites to win the super bowl

we finally have gotten off the regime change bus

free agency hasnt even started

but yea, some people are determined to be disappointed

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I expect Beane to do what he always does: Make whatever moves he believes will help this team be better now and in the foreseeable future. I have no idea what form(s) that will take. If he is able to bring in an impact player, I feel it would be through a trade rather than a free agent signing. My guess is free agency will be about finding depth and potential starters who are willing to structure team friendly contracts in order to play for a Super Bowl contending team.

Beane has earned my trust that he will always do everything he can, within reason, to field a team that is capable of bringing Buffalo a championship. He understands that the success of this team will primarily revolve around Allen, which means, first and foremost, to put a good line in front of him and, second, to give him skill players to get the ball to. He also understands that line play on both sides of the ball is almost always the foundation of teams that are consistently good.

Like every GM in the league, he has had his share of decisions that didn't work out; however, IMO, he has made far more decisions that have. He has built one of the best teams in the NFL and I expect him to keep doing what he has been doing.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.