NY Post Write up on Stadium

drumizen

12 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Setting aside the reality that tax breaks are a form of public funding (Yankees had the largest federal subsidy for a stadium in history, see below), the fact remains tax payer money ($450 mill, see below) was still paid out to help build Yankees Stadium. The Posts premise is ANY use of such money for the Pegulas to build the Bills stadium is wrong. But they had 0 problem when Steinbrenner did the same thing (no articles online, just a letter to the editor blasting the Yankees & the Post on the issue, see below). I understand people having objections to the use of public $ for such projects. But the Posts selective outrage is just dishonest. They make it sound like the Pegulas are doing something unheard of.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brookings-now/2016/09/09/top-10-biggest-federal-subsidies-for-pro-stadiums-hint-the-yankees-are-1/

https://www.nyc.com/arts__attractions/yankee_stadium.1002975/

https://nypost.com/2009/01/20/a-bad-stadium-deal/

That's not the premise of the article that the OP posted.   Nor is there "selective outrage" in the post--or maybe I missed it?

Anyway, I pointed out that the Yankees had a huge federal subsidy--but that is not the topic of this article or this thread.  The article clearly states in the beginning that the State and the County are providing 1 billion (reportedly), not the federal government.  That's literally the subject of the article--that it would easily be the biggest NY state and local funding of a stadium. 

If NYS/Erie were to offer instead, say 450- 500 million, there would be no article...and less public "outrage". 

22 hours ago, LittleSammy said:

The NY Post conveniently forgot to mention the billions pumped into the new stadiums for the Yankees, Mets and the arena in Brooklyn. About time some of our NYS tax dollars went towards funding projects upstate vs. continually getting spent downstate. Re: the billionaire NFL owners (Pegula's used as the example) paying their fair share towards a new stadium, that is a valid point, for sure.

The Pegulas and the NFL are going to foot about 400M for the stadium

18 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

No offense but what exactly did you expect from the NY Post? It‘s toilet paper

I prefer my toilet paper to be a bit softer rather than the rag which is made of sandpaper.

But I guess your #2 region is used to that kind of treatment.

13 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Setting aside the reality that tax breaks are a form of public funding (Yankees had the largest federal subsidy for a stadium in history, see below), the fact remains tax payer money ($450 mill, see below) was still paid out to help build Yankees Stadium. The Posts premise is ANY use of such money for the Pegulas to build the Bills stadium is wrong. But they had 0 problem when Steinbrenner did the same thing (no articles online, just a letter to the editor blasting the Yankees & the Post on the issue, see below).

Yankees pump a lot of money into that rag with ads including ads with Yankee players.

Do you expect it to bite the hand which feeds it?

17 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

...Gives it that 'Lowest Common Denominator' appeal..

Makes it fit in with Yankees fans.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I prefer my toilet paper to be a bit softer rather than the rag which is made of sandpaper.

Yankees pump a lot of money into that rag with ads including ads with Yankee players.

You clearly don't read the NYP.

holy cow--can't be more wrong.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I will say one thing and that is the timing of Kathy Hochul becoming Gov of NY when she did worked out perfectly for the Bills. 1 to 1.4 billion from NYS. I don't know if that happens with Cuomo despite him saying he is a Bills fan. A WNY girl like Hochul knows how important the Bills are to the people of Buffalo and WNY. She is also a Bills fan herself and that also helps.

20 hours ago, Limeaid said:

You pretty clearly don't read the post, do you?

On 3/12/2022 at 11:19 AM, LittleSammy said:

The NY Post conveniently forgot to mention the billions pumped into the new stadiums for the Yankees, Mets and the arena in Brooklyn. About time some of our NYS tax dollars went towards funding projects upstate vs. continually getting spent downstate. Re: the billionaire NFL owners (Pegula's used as the example) paying their fair share towards a new stadium, that is a valid point, for sure.

It's always okay to dump money into the black hole but anywhere else in the state can go to hell that's the way it has always been & why there hasn't been much consideration for a new stadium in B/lo i just wonder how much money NY snuck in the back door to get the Giantd & Jets their new stadium in Jersey but that's okay ...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.