Who is to blame for our lack of Lombardis?

Milanos Milano

What is the reason why we haven’t won any Lombardis recently?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who is to blame?

• Talent acquisition (GM)
    • Player execution, scheme/strategy (coaching)

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

SuperBowl XXV is 100% on coaching. Levy was out-coached by Parcells and Belichick.

The following three SuperBowls the Bills were dominated by bigger faster defenses and o-lines. So I guess you lay the blame on Polian there. The roster was not good enough especially on the lines.

The past two years we lost because the defense is a fraud.  McDermotts defense has melted in every big game except Bills Ravens. He has been outcoached by Reid multiple times. Edmunds the leader of the fraud defense is a massive letdown. If someone can point out a single impact play he has made in the playoffs I would like to know. 

The Bills are competitive for one reason alone,Josh Allen. And the reason we did not win the SuperBowl this past season is Sean McDermott.

Man you must have been salivating when you saw this title.  That is some good old McD and entire organization and every single player but JA bashing.  Your signature move.  What a simple minded take. 

1 minute ago, without a drought said:

Unbearable fans.

Its ***** unreal. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nedboy7 said:

Man you must have been salivating when you saw this title.  That is some good old McD and entire organization and every single player but JA bashing.  Your signature move.  What a simple minded take. 

Its ***** unreal. 

If it wasn’t for Josh Allen, this team would be 4-13. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Marv Levy. 

In SB25, Thurman was running at 9 yards a clip and only touched the ball 15 times. 

Yes, Jimbo called plays, but this falls squarely on Marv. 

edit: realized this said “recently” after I posted. That answer is of course Tyler Bass’ refusal to wear eye black on both sides of his face. 

As to that comment about the first SB, Belichick took advantage of Kelly's ego (knowing he would want to air it out all day) with his defensive strategy. Should have pounded the ball with Thomas (until the Giants adjusted), who was fantastic in that game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Recently?

Mostly because the team needed to find a QB and develop him while building out the roster. That generally takes 3-4 years.

The Buffalo Bills have done that and are in the process of tweaking the roster, better O line, better pass rush, perhaps another top corner.

The biggest road block to Buffalo has been a team that has been in the playoffs since 2013, when they hired their current HC Andy Reid. Who is someone who had previously built a SB team with the Eagles. That 2013 KC team went from 2-14 in 2012 to 11-5...and made the playoffs with a QB in Alex Smith. The Bills attempted to acquire Smith before he went to KC. 

So, KC has been a playoff team since 2013. Meanwhile building and tweaking their roster. It took them seven years to get to a SB and win it in 2019.  

Buffalo is in year five with McD and basically right on plan.

• Like (+1) 1

I would argue the Super Bowl window has already been open for 3 seasons (2019 Buffalo Team could have been the Bengals)

2019 - blew 16 point 2nd half lead to Texans

2020 - blew kicking field goals at halftime to Kansas City

2021 - blew it with :13 seconds left to Kansas City

I think in each one of those instances there comes a singular moment where the people making the decisions feel the pressure and it reverts them back to who their core base is in terms of philosophy and overall acumen for risk-taking/in the moment decision making.

it’s one thing for Sean McDermott to say go for it on fourth down when they’re up by 20 in the fourth quarter against the New York Jets or the Carolina Panthers but you don’t always see that same type of aggressive bully mentality when he has an opponent who is just as good as him and the games mean more and are on the line.

I’m just not sure he is the coach who is willing to risk it all in the most critical moments I think there’s a pause factor where he freezes and goes back to his core conservative values.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

So some say winning in the NFL is hard. Some say it takes luck. I say it all comes down to roster talent and coaching to get the most out of that roster talent (player execution). Where do you stand at the moment, who is to blame for not winning any Lombardis? 

A lot of posters here feel we have a top 5 roster. Which ultimately begs the question, how exactly should we qualify what is “top 5” , which metrics are we going to use. Should we use positional statistical quartiles for every team position and weight them based on positional importance? I’m serious, I would like to sit down and debate how exactly we should gauge this. 

Some posters here feel we aren’t winning Lombardis because of coaching strategy and maximizing player execution. Which coaching statistics should we use to gauge coaching performance? I want to try and be as less subjective as possible when trying to determine where fault is placed. 

I don’t believe in luck. I believe in talent and talent execution. Luck is a crutch people use to excuse away failure. 

How is it that some NFL teams can win Lombardis on less than top 5 roster talent, but somehow we supposedly can’t? 

Please discuss as honestly as you can. 

I blame you directly. Why don't you want us to win?

Now, If ya wanna know why the Bills didn't get back to a SB since the 90's under owner Ralph Wilson? He came to the simple conclusion that it was damned expensive to build a SB team and maintain it. 

From star players, coaches, scouts, front office personnel...once a team gets to the big dance...everyone wants to get paid...everyone!

The previous owner wasn't a billionaire and he depended on the Buffalo Bills franchise to support his lifestyle. He determined that if you keep the fan base happy with some upgrades in star players while keeping the team on the very edge of winning...it kept the butts in the seats and the team profitable. Look who he had as his de facto GM...the marketing guy.

The man did want to win and if it somehow came to pass he would have embraced it! He loved the Buffalo Bills, loved the fans! He kept the team in Buffalo when he could have easily moved to a different city.

Man, the 70's were hell on earth for Buffalo fans with not beating the Miami Dolphins for the entire decade on the 70s!!!

10 years man, 10 years with...no...wins...against...Miami...for...the...entire...decade!!! 

Not to mention the love canal, the stench with yellow air from the steel mills. Snow! Did I mention SNOW! 

Some people here say Andy Ried is a better coach than McDermott. He's been an NFL coach since 1999 and took over in KC in 2013. He won his 1st SB as a head coach after to 2019 season. That's 20 years. We do not deserve to act like spoiled/entitled whiners. 

Long way to say some Bills fans just SUCK! Brings this site down to NJ Jets fans level. Please stop. 

• Agree 1

We lost SB's in the 90's not for lack of talent but mediocre defense and coaching. Same goes for last season. Many sports pundits including guys like Cowherd & Simms said we were one of the most "all around" talented teams in the NFL. Josh pitched basically 2 perfect games in the playoffs only to have his #1 defense and terrible coaching decisions screw it all up. This isn't rocket science.  We all saw it.

8 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Some people here say Andy Ried is a better coach than McDermott. He's been an NFL coach since 1999 and took over in KC in 2013. He won his 1st SB as a head coach after to 2019 season. That's 20 years. We do not deserve to act like spoiled/entitled whiners. 

Long way to say some Bills fans just SUCK! Brings this site down to NJ Jets fans level. Please stop. 

Yeah we're really spoiled with all those SB championships. And if you think I'm waiting around another 20 years for McShottenhiemer to figure it out then your cra cra. 

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah we're really spoiled with all those SB championships. And if you think I'm waiting around another 20 years for McShottenhiemer to figure it out then your cra cra. 

🤣 You're waiting for as long as it takes. I did mention"some fans" , not all. I see where you fit in. 

Sincerely,

Dopey, not cra, cra.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Marv Levy. 

In SB25, Thurman was running at 9 yards a clip and only touched the ball 15 times. 

Yes, Jimbo called plays, but this falls squarely on Marv. 

edit: realized this said “recently” after I posted. That answer is of course Tyler Bass’ refusal to wear eye black on both sides of his face. 

I agree with Thurman point that was bad coaching, BB said he was just going to let Thurman run because he knew the bills wouldn’t be patient with the run. If the bills stayed with it and put points on the board they would’ve had no choice but to try and stop the run, and that would’ve opened up the pass. That was a terrible lost to a back up QB 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.