Who is to blame for our lack of Lombardis?

Milanos Milano

What is the reason why we haven’t won any Lombardis recently?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who is to blame?

• Talent acquisition (GM)
    • Player execution, scheme/strategy (coaching)

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You can also look at what BB has done in New England with Brady and a giant revolving door of players on offense and defense over many years and he found a way to make what he had work.

In this sense, maybe winning in the NFL is HUGELY about coaching/scheming/preparation/execution, all of which fall under the umbrella of "coaching" and definitely not "talent acquisition."

When your example of talent acquisition not being as important as coaching involves the talent acquisition of Tom Brady, it is not a very good example.

8 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

So should we or shouldn’t we attempt to try and find an objective answer? Don’t tell me it’s impossible. We just don’t have the proper data to make such a distinct determination yet. Doesn’t mean we can’t talk about methods in making it possible. 

Yes it’s impossible.

And don’t listen to Joan Baez because there isn’t an answer to how many miles either.

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

When your example of talent acquisition not being as important as coaching involves the talent acquisition of Tom Brady, it is not a very good example.

I’m still not sold on Brady. He played with one of the best coaches ever (took a QB who threw a handful of times against us to the playoffs) , and Brady playing with one of the best supporting cast teams in years. While Brady is a great player, I’m not convinced he has more talent than Allen. Allen with Belichick likely wins the Super Bowls last year. 

we arent winning SBs right now cuz of the Chiefs,  and the fact that the AFC is loaded with good young QBs.   if we were in the NFC right now i believe we'd be in the SB every year.    we need homefield throughout the playoffs,  mbe a tad bit more impact on the defensive line.  beyond that there really isnt much to do.    nobody can really stop the Chefs when they dont let them.     terrible thing is,  its only gonna get worse as the arms race heats up in the AFC,  already seeing it with early FA moves.      there is no room for error next season,  every winnable game has to be won.     we cant have an Indy or Jags loss type game next season.

as much as people want to load up the D,  i dont think yer gonna stop the Chefs,  best u can do is hope to outscore them offensively imo.

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Are we certain this is the absolute case though? We haven’t even decided what is the best ways to gauge player talent and overall roster grades. We have a punter that was ranked last, a QB ranked in the top 3 in most metrics (despite poor linemen talent), and other players I’m not sure were they finished in statistical quartiles compared to other league players. We need to find a way to weight all of that when determining how good our talent is before we can start placing blame on coaching. 

Have at it then. I believe my eyes.

43 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I’m still not sold on Brady. He played with one of the best coaches ever (took a QB who threw a handful of times against us to the playoffs) , and Brady playing with one of the best supporting cast teams in years. While Brady is a great player, I’m not convinced he has more talent than Allen. Allen with Belichick likely wins the Super Bowls last year. 

My response was to the use of NE (and Belichick) as an example of coaching being more important than talent acquisition.

Bill Belichick over 9 seasons as a head coach (Cle and NE) without Tom Brady as his starting QB:

Career:

68-76 overall regular season record

1-2 playoff record

Cleveland (5 seasons):

36-44 regular season record (Cle)

1-1 playoff record

NE (4 seasons):

33-32 regular season 

0-1 playoff record and the worse loss of his playoff career

Tom Brady without Belichick as his coach (2 seasons):

24-9 regular season record

5-1 playoff record, including a SB win 

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

But isn’t coaching responsible in some ways to player execution? Or is that strictly under talent performance? If a player can consistently perform, is that a coaching issue or a talent issue? 

True or false, can a coach win with inferior talent if they are a superior coach with better strategy? 
How much can a coach, coach up? Preparedness? Situational awareness? Statistical advantages under certain situations that are diagnosed in real time? 

you are right. McDermott got to the playoffs with Taylor. McDermott is a superior coach. Actually, one of the best in the NFL. Enjoy your obsessive, fact-free crusade.

33 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Then he either needs better surrounding talent or our coaching is the issue we aren’t winning Super Bowls. 

Nope. Wrong. 

4 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I refuse to believe this. Mistakes are preventable with either better coaching or better talent acquisition. Fumbling isn’t luck. Interceptions isn’t luck. Ball security is a skill, making good throws consistently is a skill. Optimizing football strategy is a skill. In game adaptation is a skill. Clock management is a skill. 

You must be very confused when you watch the games if this is really what you believe.

4 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

False. Because they have failed to WIN Super Bowls. That’s why we play the game. Whether we are the Jets or super bowl losers is the same. Both pack up and go home. While it’s a great moral victory, it still isn’t enough and for that we need to figure out why? Why wasn’t it enough. Not good enough coaching or not good enough talent. 

This is complete BS. Of course everyone wants to see the Bills win a Super Bowl, but I'm not going to let that be a barrier keeping me from enjoying the ride.

Its clearly Bills Mafia's fault, we are a bunch of negative nancy's who don't create enough crowd noise at games, whine because we don't have a dome, do stupid things like jump thru tables, and sit around getting fat eatin chicken wings, beef on weck and friday night fish frys, cmon people lets get our s*** together and maybe one day we can be as great as Chiefs fans😁

Edited by billybob71

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.