Who is to blame for our lack of Lombardis?

Milanos Milano

What is the reason why we haven’t won any Lombardis recently?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who is to blame?

• Talent acquisition (GM)
    • Player execution, scheme/strategy (coaching)

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Because how can I blame McDermott if we can at least come to some approximate gauge to what is roster talent rankings? We need to be able to determine a good metric before we can start placing blame on coaching. What we do know is we have a top 3 QB statistically despite having below average line play. Which is really incredible to think about. 

Really, your agenda is screaming out from under your "dispassionate" analysis. There are so many assumptions buried under the way you've put this that it's laughable even to engage with you. This is a waste of our time. 

1 minute ago, nedboy7 said:

Did you fail to become a millionaire because your parents were incompetent or because you were too lazy to apply your true potential.  It has to be one or the other. 

Why can’t you guys stick to football discussions instead of making ad hominem gestures? It’s a football debate. 

5 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Are we certain this is the absolute case though? We haven’t even decided what is the best ways to gauge player talent and overall roster grades. We have a punter that was ranked last, a QB ranked in the top 3 in most metrics (despite poor linemen talent), and other players I’m not sure were they finished in statistical quartiles compared to other league players. We need to find a way to weight all of that when determining how good our talent is before we can start placing blame on coaching. 

That certainly hasn't stopped you from blaming coaching and the front office.

But, here is an idea. Why don't you spend your time in a more constructive manner by developing the statistical models, formulas, and techniques by which you can determine what raw data should be collected, and how to most effectively analyze that data, to create a standard, accurate way of measuring talent.

Until then, follow your own advice and stop looking to place blame....

• Agree 1

Just now, Dr. K said:

Really, your agenda is screaming out from under your "dispassionate" analysis. There are so many assumptions buried under the way you've put this that it's laughable even to engage with you. This is a waste of our time. 

So let’s discuss the issues here, what assumptions? How do you go about determining why we haven’t won Super Bowls? 

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

That certainly hasn't stopped you from blaming coaching and the front office.

But, here is an idea. Why don't you spend your time in a more constructive manner by developing the statistical models, formulas, and techniques by which you can determine what raw data should be collected, and how to most effectively analyze that data, to create a standard, accurate way of measuring talent.

Until then, follow your own advice and stop looking to place blame....

Maybe I will do just that. I’m surprised no kind of overall roster talent gauge exist. If it already does, it would be nice to see the links. 

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

So let’s discuss the issues here, what assumptions? How do you go about determining why we haven’t won Super Bowls? 

You really are ridiculously dishonest. Just admit you think McDermott and Beane are the problem. I've got nothing more to say to you. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

So some say winning in the NFL is hard. Some say it takes luck. I say it all comes down to roster talent and coaching to get the most out of that roster talent (player execution). Where do you stand at the moment, who is to blame for not winning any Lombardis? 

A lot of posters here feel we have a top 5 roster. Which ultimately begs the question, how exactly should we qualify what is “top 5” , which metrics are we going to use. Should we use positional statistical quartiles for every team position and weight them based on positional importance? I’m serious, I would like to sit down and debate how exactly we should gauge this. 

Some posters here feel we aren’t winning Lombardis because of coaching strategy and maximizing player execution. Which coaching statistics should we use to gauge coaching performance? I want to try and be as less subjective as possible when trying to determine where fault is placed. 

I don’t believe in luck. I believe in talent and talent execution. Luck is a crutch people use to excuse away failure. 

How is it that some NFL teams can win Lombardis on less than top 5 roster talent, but somehow we supposedly can’t? 

Please discuss as honestly as you can. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

Maybe I will do just that. I’m surprised no kind of overall roster talent gauge exist. If it already does, it would be nice to see the links. 

The reason it doesn't exist is because you cannot statistically quantify all of the variables that truly measure "talent" and how that talent might manifest on the field in any given situation.

You cannot reduce human behavior to strictly measurable numbers in order to predict outcome.

13 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

You really are ridiculously dishonest. Just admit you think McDermott and Beane are the problem. I've got nothing more to say to you. 

Who’s the problem if it isn’t McDermott or Beanes? The players? Who is responsible for acquiring these players? Who is responsible for positioning those players in strategic positions to win games? How am I being dishonest, I’m just trying to figure out who gets the most blame as objectively as possible and only one other poster in here has tried to do so. I’m thankful that poster has contributed great substance. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

My father had a great line for people like this: Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot instead of opening it up and removing all doubt.

So why don’t you add something constructive to the debate. What would you do to win super bowls. Why aren’t we winning them? 

6 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Who’s the problem if it isn’t McDermott or Beanes? The players? Who is responsible for acquiring this players? Who is responsible for positioning those players in strategic positions to win games? How am I being dishonest, I’m just trying to figure out who gets the most blame as objectively as possible and only one other poster in here has tried to do so. I’m thankful that poster has contributed great substance. 

Why present a "poll" as if you think it is an open question when you already know the answer? That's fundamentally dishonest, and it was evident from your very first post. I did not even know what you opinion was before I clicked on this thread but it was instantly obvious as soon as I read that. Everything after that was blowing smoke.

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Who’s the problem if it isn’t McDermott or Beanes? The players? Who is responsible for acquiring these players? Who is responsible for positioning those players in strategic positions to win games? How am I being dishonest, I’m just trying to figure out who gets the most blame as objectively as possible and only one other poster in here has tried to do so. I’m thankful that poster has contributed great substance. 

"I'm just trying to figure out who gets the most blame" 

My god.  Have some self respect. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr. K said:

Why present a "poll" as if you think it is an open question when you already know the answer? That's fundamentally dishonest, and it was evident from your very first post. I did not even know what you opinion was before I clicked on this thread but it was instantly obvious as soon as I read that. 

So what would you do to win Super Bowls? Add better talent? 

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

So why don’t you add something constructive to the debate. What would you do to win super bowls. Why aren’t we winning them? 

Because you think we should have a Blue Helmet. It's all your fault.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.