No criminal charges for Deshaun Watson; civil deposition 3/15

YoloinOhio

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

how so?  It was a grand jury.   Only the public and public employees were present.  

no money involved

It has nothing to do with money. It almost certainly has to do with a lack of 3rd party corroboration. 

I have been saying for a year that unless there is a lot more that is not in the public domain the evidence we have all seen is insufficient to secure a criminal prosecution. 

Just now, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Andy Reid was all set to sign him as a backup QB until he got acquitted.  

Don't worry he has found Henry Ruggs' number. 

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Should have been a class action lawsuit, with so many involved. 

How does a criminal lawsuit brought by the state get brought as a class action? I do not profess to be an expert in US criminal law but I don't see how that is possible. The only parties in a criminal case are the defendant and the state.

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Well the court of public opinion doesn’t mean anything at the end of the day. The only thing that matters is legal decisions and team owners. 

Owners have penalized players even though they won in legal courts.

it is easier to punish players when they were also convicted in legal courts.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

How does a criminal lawsuit brought by the state get brought as a class action? I do not profess to be an expert in US criminal law but I don't see how that is possible. The only parties in a criminal case are the defendant and the state.

It was a joke, but I was referring to the 22 women who were suing him. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chron.com/sports/texans/amp/22-women-lawsuits-Texans-Deshaun-Watson-named-16104043.php

https://www.classaction.org/learn/how-to-start

Just now, Dopey said:

Yes I know what a class action is. I advise the UK government on civil and administrative law. I was questioning how it works in criminal prosecutions. It can work in some quasi criminal administrative proceedings - the typical one being health and safety at work disputes. But in a classic criminal case a class action is impossible. The 22 would be witnesses, not parties. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

The funny thing is, something creepy happened, of that I’m sure. What it was exactly, I really don’t think I want to know. 

At the very least we know he was constantly seeking out new massage therapists on Instagram. That isn't normal for professional athletes, most of them like to stick to a professional they have used before. It's clear to me at least that Watson was looking for thrills. But the jump from that to criminal charges is large and nearly impossible to prove.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Blainorama5 said:

Colin Kaepernick would probably disagree with that statement.  The NFL is a perception-heavy league - internally and externally.

or skipping a tryout and having about 1/1000th of Watson’s talent. 

Tampa makes the most sense for him.    But do they have the cap space?   Seattle is interesting, with all those draft picks then getting possibly a QB upgrade?  

30 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Between toes and this, you're downright 'straight razor totin' nasty' the past couple of days! 😁

Lock down crazy. The Ottawa convoy protests were in our neighborhood. We had to get through police checkpoints to get to our place. Then the horns ran all night and helicopters circled overhead during the day. On top of that it's been minus 25 Celsius most of the new year. I also had omicron for most of January. So yeah. Cabin fever has taken hold. Good news is I retire at the end of the month.

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes I know what a class action is. I advise the UK government on civil and administrative law. I was questioning how it works in criminal prosecutions. It can work in some quasi criminal administrative proceedings - the typical one being health and safety at work disputes. But in a classic criminal case a class action is impossible. The 22 would be witnesses, not parties. 

Again, JOKE.

Good thing I don't make a living being a stand up comedian. You would have heckled me. No?

31 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Lock down crazy. The Ottawa convoy protests were in our neighborhood. We had to get through police checkpoints to get to our place. Then the horns ran all night and helicopters circled overhead during the day. On top of that it's been minus 25 Celsius most of the new year. I also had omicron for most of January. So yeah. Cabin fever has taken hold. Good news is I retire at the end of the month.

Good to hear the BS is over, and retirement is soon.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It has nothing to do with money. It almost certainly has to do with a lack of 3rd party corroboration. 

I have been saying for a year that unless there is a lot more that is not in the public domain the evidence we have all seen is insufficient to secure a criminal prosecution. 

Don't worry he has found Henry Ruggs' number. 

yeah the “rich guy gets off” and “ Monet talks” are really lazy takes here

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Carolina makes all the sense in the world.  

Low key media market.  Only two hours from Clemson and four hours from his hometown

Unless Lovie Smith pounds the table for him to stay in Houston. Carolina would make sense yet would Houston be dumb enough to take on Darnold? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.