Joe Marino's mock offseason for the Bills

HappyDays

Don’t love it.  Don’t hate it.  

If we cut Star, post 6/1, most of this makes sense.  

That DL would be stout, especially if any of the young guys make a jump.  

His RB situation is bizarre though.  Singletary, McKinnon, Bolden, Moss, Chandler…. 5 RB’s?

• Like (+1) 2

Well thought out and detailed.  If we did 75% of that or a version of that, I'd be happy.  It shows us as long as you can pay cash now, the cap can be manipulated.  Just need an owner with deeep pockets.

Joe reminds me of when Sal Cappaccio was doing a Bills show on Justin.Tv when you could tell Sal was an up and comer in the Bills media industry.

I think Joe does a great job concerning the Bills and is worth the listen.

(not Joe's mom)

(PS.  The Rockpile Report is a great Bills Podcast as well....off stump)

Edited by The Tomcat
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Wouldnt be a fan of this.   While Daryl Williams struggled at tackle last year, he played at a very high level at guard.  To me he is a restructure candidate only, not a cut.  You'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face.   I cannot tell you how much I hate cutting a starter to draft his replacement.  Makes so much more sense to keep the starter, draft his replacement, and then have them compete. 

Like the free agent signings.   Hate the draft. 

Williams is making starting tackle money but he's just a serviceable guard. If he takes a pay cut rather than a restructure I'd be happy with keeping him.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

His RB situation is bizarre though.  Singletary, McKinnon, Bolden, Moss, Chandler…. 5 RB’s?

Yes, he pointed out the Bills usually roster 4 RBs so he's only rostering one more than usual. McKinnon takes over for Breida, Bolden takes over for Taiwan Jones as the ST guy. Chandler is rostered because he's one of only 5 draft picks.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wallace is projected to get more than $4 million AAV. Sidney Jones is an intriguing name for me. I remember a lot of draftniks being very high on him as a 1st round talent, but then he had a season ending injury at his pro day. He flashed for Seattle in the back half of last season. He gives us a lot more upside than Wallace and likely will be cheaper. That's a solid move IMO.

Wasn't the Bills mentioned to Sidney Jones also during the draft? 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Joe is in the camp of not wanting Gronkowski because of his hit on Tre White a few years. I agree with you though.

When Tre White is on the verge of being a 1st-ballot HOF’er, I might give af about his feelings. :D

Edited by Rico

34 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Seems like a lot of those ideas came from this board. We have touched on pretty much all of these guys at some point here. I brought up Taven Bryan and Austin Blythe a little while ago. 

He's been talking about all of these guys for months now. And this board talks about literally every single free agent, trade candidate, and draft pick possible, even the ones that don't make any sense.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I like a lot of it.  Especially C Jones.  My changes:

Maybe A Corbett over Noteboom - let Kromer make the call.

Better TE -   Gronk, if not then Engram or Ertz.  He says "Dissly"?..... please, that does nothing for me.

To afford those you don't get C Kirk,  you get the low priced loser of Beas/McKenzie.  You also don't need 2 FA RBs, that's one too many.

Draft - 1st round WR for Josh - a T Burks or J Williams stud.  Brings financial progression to WR room - Diggs restructure soon, Davis in 2 yrs, Rookie for 4/5 yrs.  Staying away from the shiny >$10M WR allows for the rookie to grow quickly.  That's the mid-long term thinking we need.  

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Here's a summary of the moves he made:

Pre-FA moves to create cap space:
--> Haack, Beasley, Daryl Williams, and Matakevich are all cut.
-->The only Bills FA that he re-signs is Bates - all other FAs such as Wallace, Hughes, Addison, and Phillips he lets walk.
-->Diggs, Morse, and Poyer are extended in a way that lowers their cap hit for 2022.
-->Dawkins' contract is restructured to open up additional cap space in 2022.

After those moves he has $38.5 million in available cap space entering FA.

Offensive FA signings:
WR Christian Kirk 3 years $35 million
QB Ryan Fitzpatrick 1 year $5 million
OL Austin Blythe 2 years $4.5 million
OL Joseph Noteboom 2 years $6 million
RB Jerick McKinnon 1 year $2 million
RB Brandon Bolden 1 year $2.5 million
TE Will Dissly 2 years $9 million

Defensive FA signings:
DE Chandler Jones 2 years $30 million
CB Sidney Jones 2 years $8 million
DE Shaq Lawson (no contract details given)
DT DaQuan Jones 2 years $9 million
DT Taven Bryan 2 years $5 million

Special teams FA signings:
P JK Scott 2 years $3 million

All of the above signings cost $34 million in cap space in 2022. That leaves him with $4.5 million in cap space heading into the draft.

Draft:
R1 #25 Tyler Smith, OL, Tulsa
R2 #57 Travis Jones, DT, UConn
R3 #71(trade up) Calvin Austin, WR, Memphis
R3 #97(trade up) Cam Taylor-Britt, CB, Nebraska
R7 #228 Ty Chandler, RB, UNC

We only end up with 5 draft picks because of the two trade-ups.

I think I'd take this offseason right now if I could. We have more cap space flexibility than people realize.

There’s some players here I don’t know much about and a couple I’m not keen on, but when considering the additions of Kirk and C.Jones, I’d sign up for this.

seeing Hughes and Addison gone and allowing the young linemen to get more snaps is a must in my book.

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, MJS said:

He's been talking about all of these guys for months now. And this board talks about literally every single free agent, trade candidate, and draft pick possible, even the ones that don't make any sense.

Ok thanks. I don't read his work so I thought it was kind of strange. I do think there are a lot of good ideas on here, and that's why I am here. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Here's a summary of the moves he made:

Pre-FA moves to create cap space:
--> Haack, Beasley, Daryl Williams, and Matakevich are all cut.
-->The only Bills FA that he re-signs is Bates - all other FAs such as Wallace, Hughes, Addison, and Phillips he lets walk.
-->Diggs, Morse, and Poyer are extended in a way that lowers their cap hit for 2022.
-->Dawkins' contract is restructured to open up additional cap space in 2022.

After those moves he has $38.5 million in available cap space entering FA.

Offensive FA signings:
WR Christian Kirk 3 years $35 million
QB Ryan Fitzpatrick 1 year $5 million
OL Austin Blythe 2 years $4.5 million
OL Joseph Noteboom 2 years $6 million
RB Jerick McKinnon 1 year $2 million
RB Brandon Bolden 1 year $2.5 million
TE Will Dissly 2 years $9 million

Defensive FA signings:
DE Chandler Jones 2 years $30 million
CB Sidney Jones 2 years $8 million
DE Shaq Lawson (no contract details given)
DT DaQuan Jones 2 years $9 million
DT Taven Bryan 2 years $5 million

Special teams FA signings:
P JK Scott 2 years $3 million

All of the above signings cost $34 million in cap space in 2022. That leaves him with $4.5 million in cap space heading into the draft.

Draft:
R1 #25 Tyler Smith, OL, Tulsa
R2 #57 Travis Jones, DT, UConn
R3 #71(trade up) Calvin Austin, WR, Memphis
R3 #97(trade up) Cam Taylor-Britt, CB, Nebraska
R7 #228 Ty Chandler, RB, UNC

We only end up with 5 draft picks because of the two trade-ups.

I think I'd take this offseason right now if I could. We have more cap space flexibility than people realize.

This is a pretty ridiculous take if you ask me.

So much wrong with it that’s it’s hard to know where to begin.  

Couple glaring issues…Kirk is going to get offers over $40M for sure and offers in their $12m-$14m range.  3 RBs, none of which bring anything if real value to the team or any upgrades to what we had last year?  Lmao.  And not keeping any of our own other than Bates?  I find it hard it to believe.  

I don’t like his draft much either.  

I would bet good money our off season looks nothing like this outside maybe Chandler Jones coming here to chase a ring.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, DJB said:

We are adding 3 RB's? 

Not sure about that especially since none of them are even an upgrade on who we have 

We paid Taiwan Jones $1.66M last year as a "Running Back" but he was just a Special Teamer. He never played on Offense.

Or think about guys like Matt Breida and Zach Moss, who bring zero value on Special Teams, so they were sometimes healthy scratches.

If a Running Back can't play Special Teams, his value is way more limited. Replacing Breida and Jones with RB's who can also play Special Teams well is a huge upgrade. It opens up the roster to not needing guys JUST for Special Teams like Kumerow, Matakevich, Neal, etc.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Wouldnt be a fan of this.   While Daryl Williams struggled at tackle last year, he played at a very high level at guard.  To me he is a restructure candidate only, not a cut.  You'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face.   I cannot tell you how much I hate cutting a starter to draft his replacement.  Makes so much more sense to keep the starter, draft his replacement, and then have them compete. 

Like the free agent signings.   Hate the draft. 

He added two guards who played for Kromer in FA. The draft pick would not need to replace DW at least not this year. DW played ok, not great, at RG. His best trait is his versatility to step in at RT when needed. But there is no guarantee that he will take a pay cut 

I'm a big fan of Joe Marino. Dude puts in work.

There are a lot of directions this offseason could take. I really appreciate that he puts this out there for people to criticize, it obviously takes a lot of time to do and as the Internet goes, people mostly respond with snark in general.

Thanks for the outline also.

As far as Wallace goes, letting him go scares me a little truthfully. He's a known quantity. We can win with him, I believe. I need someone to replace him that I know we can win with. I'm not sure who is out there that fits that I can say that about.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.