Khalil Mack traded to Chargers for 2nd and 6th round picks

FluffHead

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

15 pages on how we are doomed we didn’t trade for an over 30 player who hasn’t had double digit sacks in 3 years.

Maybe we should fire Beane immediately.  Lol

So TSW.   

Like a preschool in the afternoon when half the kids missed their naps...

mad little girl GIF

• Haha (+1) 7

21 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Beane has spent some pretty decent money on the DL but the production hasn't matched the contracts. 

You shouldn't need an Excel spreadsheet and "advanced stats" to show that a DL gets pressure. Good old simple stats and seeing the QB running for his life or taking sacks works a lot better. 

10th in sacks and 5th in the league in QB pressures.  

Those aren’t excel sheets or advanced stats, those are the good old simple stats you’re talking about.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I have not watched a ton of Mack since he went to Bears but just watched some highlights of past two seasons and I was amazed that most of his sacks seem to come from teams leaving a TE to block him alone, or even not getting a blocker on him at all. When planning for Chicago how do you forget about him?

I guess the question is...why would you ever design a play where a TE is asked to block him? Might as well just wave a white flag.

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

I don't think people are down on Beane but the pressure is on him big time this offseason. Expectations are a Super Bowl championship. While this is a very good roster they could use help in getting over the hump. Its Beane's job to make sure that happens.  Next week should be very interesting when FA finally starts.

It is a very good roster.  He has done quite a good job.  Hopefully he doesn't "go all in"  and spend a stupid amount of money and cripple the team for years after the SB attempt.  Cause going all in doesnt guarantee anything. 

11 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

We have to save our draft picks don’t you understand?😢😢😢

Maybe he did offer our 2nd round pick and they went with LA.  I mean to just suggest we could have done the same trade at the same price isnt really logical. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

10th in sacks and 5th in the league in QB pressures.  

Those aren’t excel sheets or advanced stats, those are the good old simple stats you’re talking about.  

I'm always surprised by their sack numbers, which aren't terrible. I'm seeing 11th in the league but either way, 10th or 11th isn't bad. So I'll give you that one, although it just seems like this defensive line doesn't rise to the occasion when it needs to.

As far as "QB pressures" go, that sounds like a subjective stat to me, but that's true of every team's defense not just the Bills. 

I just want a guy who puts the QB on the ground consistently and the other team needs to fear. 

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Chandler Jones was my first preference. If news comes down that the Bills are about to sign Chandler Jones when the tampering period opens (think its Monday) then I don't care at all about the Mack deal. 

Same. Chandler Jones would be an amazing signing!

All the young kids can rotate in and out and continue to develop as well, but we need someone proven in there. 

6 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'm always surprised by their sack numbers, which aren't terrible. I'm seeing 11th in the league but either way, 10th or 11th isn't bad. So I'll give you that one, although it just seems like this defensive line doesn't rise to the occasion when it needs to.

As far as "QB pressures" go, that sounds like a subjective stat to me, but that's true of every team's defense not just the Bills. 

I just want a guy who puts the QB on the ground consistently and the other team needs to fear. 

Same. Chandler Jones would be an amazing signing!

All the young kids can rotate in and out and continue to develop as well, but we need someone proven in there. 

I agree with Alpha that the Bills are more effective at affecting the passer than most fans think. However, I also agree with you (and I think @Alphadawg7 would too) that a genuine, proven, finisher off the edge is still a need. I mean at the very least they have to replace Addison's production which was underwhelming in 2020 but pretty good in a situational role in 2021 and he led the team in sacks both years. But their intention should be to pay one guy the sort of money they were sharing between Addison and Hughes last year and get an upgrade. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Chandler Jones was my first preference. If news comes down that the Bills are about to sign Chandler Jones when the tampering period opens (think its Monday) then I don't care at all about the Mack deal. 

I think Chandler is #1 or #2 along with Von Miller on the top FA target, but there are other good capable 10+ sack guys to be had.

8 minutes ago, Magox said:

I think Chandler is #1 or #2 along with Von Miller on the top FA target, but there are other good capable 10+ sack guys to be had.

In terms of scheme fit, production, talent level.... I think it is Jones and then the rest. Von Miller could play as a 4-3 end I suppose but he hasn't most of his stellar career. Jones played in a 4-3 in New England and for one year under Steve Wilks in Arizona.... in what was basically this defense... and had 13 sacks. I know that was 3 years ago and he was still arguably in his prime but still. And after Jones and Miller who are the other guys? Emmanual Ogbah? No thanks. Jadaveon Clowney? Excellent player but but the guaranteed finisher of a pass rusher we need. Hassan Reddick? Not at all a scheme fit. The only other guy I see who holds some appeal from an on-field scheme perspective is Randy Gregory (though his best year is 6 sacks) but I'm not sure Beane and McDermott would go there for other reasons. 

Edited by GunnerBill

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In terms of scheme fit, production, talent level.... I think it is Jones and then the rest. Von Miller could play as a 4-3 end I suppose but he hasn't most of his stellar career. Jones played in a 4-3 in New England and for one year under Steve Wilks in Arizona.... in what was basically this defense... and had 13 sacks. I know that was 3 years ago and he was still arguably in his prime but still. And after Jones and Miller who are the other guys? Emmanual Ogbah? No thanks. Jadaveon Clowney? Excellent player but but the guaranteed finisher of a pass rusher we need. Hassan Reddick? Not at all a scheme fit. The only other guy I see who holds some appeal from an on-field scheme perspective is Randy Gregory (though his best year is 6 sacks) but I'm not sure Beane and McDermott would go there for other reasons. 

No doubt that Chandler and Jones are 1 and 2, but any of the guys you just mentioned would be an upgrade to a current version of Addison or Hughes.   

Obviously we all want one of those two guys, but if you are unable to get them, there are upgrades still available.  I think too many people think that there has to be some sort of a remake or something along those lines to win a Championship, I honestly believe we were good enough last year and as luck and a bad decision or two would have it, we didn't do it.  

Improvements on the margins gives us an excellent shot at Home field advantage.  

1 minute ago, Magox said:

No doubt that Chandler and Jones are 1 and 2, but any of the guys you just mentioned would be an upgrade to a current version of Addison or Hughes.   

Obviously we all want one of those two guys, but if you are unable to get them, there are upgrades still available.  I think too many people think that there has to be some sort of a remake or something along those lines to win a Championship, I honestly believe we were good enough last year and as luck and a bad decision or two would have it, we didn't do it.  

Improvements on the margins gives us an excellent shot at Home field advantage.  

Ogbah is a liability in the run game. No way the Bills sign him. Reddick doesn't fit the defense. Randy Gregory doesn't fit the process. My point isn't whether they are better players it is whether they are realistically in play for the Bills knowing what we know about the way McDermott and Beane operate. You are down to the big two and then Jadaveon Clowney once you write off the guys who are almost certainly not going to be in the Bills' plans. 

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

It is a very good roster.  He has done quite a good job.  Hopefully he doesn't "go all in"  and spend a stupid amount of money and cripple the team for years after the SB attempt.  Cause going all in doesnt guarantee anything. 

Maybe he did offer our 2nd round pick and they went with LA.  I mean to just suggest we could have done the same trade at the same price isnt really logical. 

We could have made trades last season during the season and we didn’t. LA did and the results speak for themselves. We need to get better he needs to try harder and get better results with his signings to suggest he doesn’t is ignorant.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.