Khalil Mack traded to Chargers for 2nd and 6th round picks

FluffHead

19 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

There are a lot cap experts and with overreaction here, everything is doable. Dead cap and all that. Everything is doable. Is Beane going to put together some kick the can deals? I don't think he will go crazy, but he needs to consider it as this is our window. We need to win a Super Bowl. If we are in cap hell after, it doesn't matter. Yes I want multiple Super Bowls, but they need to make sure they get one. After that, everything else is gravy. Then you figure out everything else on the back end. What that means is that they are going to have to take on some cap risk if they want to truly win it all. Does that mean grabbing Bobby Wagner for a big deal? Trading for McCaffrey? Was it going after Mack?Is it going after DeMarcus Lawrence? OBJ? Is it giving a bunch of money to guys like Brandon Scherff, JC Jackson, Chandler Jones? I really don't know. I am not sure what the "move" is, but this team needs to add talent on both sides of the ball if they want to win it all and the time is now. 

Drafting 9 rookies and expecting them to put the team over the top with marginal free agent additions isn't going to cut it. 

I can’t smash the like button on this enough. We are in the window NOW. We can’t bank on a rookie we pick at the end of round 1 to be THE guy that puts us over. Manipulate the cap however you can. Hell the Saints do it every year. They just created $8.7m of cap space this morning by reworking Kamaras contract. These are things we should be doing. We can’t just “run it back” with Hughes and Addison and expect to get back to the AFC title game. I just hope Beane is aggressive. I’m good with trading our 1st for an elite guy on defense like we did with Diggs. We need game changers on that side of the ball. I’m not sure what the moves are but we can’t just stay out and use “the cap myth” as an excuse. We have our guy in Josh. Now let’s go all in and get him what he needs to get us a trophy. 

• Agree 1

missing on this isn't as bad as some of you are making it out to be simply because loading up the AFC West is a good thing for the Bills, but to those pooh-poohing Mack's recent production, there's no way Beane produces more sacks from that 2nd-rounder and 6th-rounder. 

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

People are down on bean cause another team made a trade.  Smart.  

I don't think people are down on Beane but the pressure is on him big time this offseason. Expectations are a Super Bowl championship. While this is a very good roster they could use help in getting over the hump. Its Beane's job to make sure that happens.  Next week should be very interesting when FA finally starts.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So Mack didn't get traded? 

My point is, you evaluate an entire offseason, including the draft. You don’t get your little panties in a bunch because someone makes a trade. People are reactionary, emotional, and nonsensical. 

Or you can whine like so many of the silly posters in this thread.

As soon as Beane and McDermott got here, the Bills started going to the playoffs after years of drought. I don’t think that is luck. 

but people get emotional and whiny like children.

Edited by todd
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm sure someone posted this already, but not going to read through 13 pages. The Chargers were $40 million under the cap before the trade, the Bills were about $2 million with more holes to fill. This wasn't going to be a cheap restructure either, $60 million over 3 years was going to be huge, do we move much of that money to the next 2 seasons when Josh's cap number triples? Has to be better value out there.

1 hour ago, billybob71 said:

an aging overpriced DE doesn't make or break your season

An edge rusher the caliber of Mack absolutely could have made our season last year. Didn't you watch Mahomes easily sidestep our edge rushers all game long in the divisional round? We need a finisher that can put him on the ground.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, HappyDays said:

From what I'm seeing it's a $30 million cap hit this year for Mack and gets lower over the next two years. But we could have found that cap space if we wanted to. Our biggest failure against the Chiefs was letting Mahomes run away from our middling edge rushers. We need to be able to put him on the ground. There needs to be some move made this offseason to fix that problem.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/khalil-mack-14414/

16 hours ago, FluffHead said:

Meanwhile Beane taking a buddy nix nap

Beane is looking at how many more millions of dollars he would have to get under the cap & how many more people he would have to get rid of to make that deal happen that would be why he's not in a Bills uni .

You can bet Beane would love to have Mack on this team but knows how much he would need to do to get him & how much it could cost the Bills in the future i'll go with Beane because he's in no way Buddy Nix that's for sure .

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

An edge rusher the caliber of Mack absolutely could have made our season last year. Didn't you watch Mahomes easily sidestep our edge rushers all game long in the divisional round? We need a finisher that can put him on the ground.

I agree but maybe not Mack, he was on season ending IR by November so he wouldn't been gettin anybody on the ground

and i don't understand this super bowl window is closing crowd, we have Josh Allen for quite a few years, we gotta find up and coming players that are ready to bust out (like Gabe Davis) not often injured high priced vets with declining production.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, T master said:

Beane is looking at how many more millions of dollars he would have to get under the cap & how many more people he would have to get rid of to make that deal happen that would be why he's not in a Bills uni .

You can bet Beane would love to have Mack on this team but knows how much he would need to do to get him & how much it could cost the Bills in the future i'll go with Beane because he's in no way Buddy Nix that's for sure .

Extention would've lowered Mack's cap hit a lot. We'd push a lot of money into the future, but there are so many ways to make it happen without destroying the current roster.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Extention would've lowered Mack's cap hit a lot. We'd push a lot of money into the future, but there are so many ways to make it happen without destroying the current roster.

Maybe but when you look at what the Saints & the Rams are going through to get under or keep the players they have i think that's not the way Beane is thinking .

I know a Lombari would be great in the trophy case but seeing who is no longer on the roster now & what they need for rookies & to either resign some along with other FA's plus the fact the contracts that will need to be paid in the not to distant future i believe Beane will get it done his way & will be successful at it .

2 hours ago, colin said:

the more moves i see the more i am convinced that we need chandler jones, and we need our draft to come up gangbusters.  by the end of the season, we want to get a starter at some combo of IOL/DT/CB/TE/WR (Wr assumed we have a beaze cut and starter can mean our 3rd wr getting some burn).

i figure our 1st and some kind of trade up in the 2nd or 3rd should get our IOL and WR, and either CB or DT, whomever presents the best value.

seeing Mack go hurts some, that was one potential option no longer available.  

There are better options out there though, C Jones or Clowney will probably come at similar price with no draft capital expended.  Just not a lot of those to go around, we'll see if Beane can get one.

Also want a FA TE.  Rookie TEs rarely are ready.  Getting a Gronk would be a coup, if not, Engram or Ertz.  Kind of slot like fill-ins for the departure of Beas.  Then draft a WR in one of the first two rounds and groom and use. 

We can get a vet slot after the dust settles for cheap, kind of like the loser of McKenzie/Beas - the one who can't find a home.  The vet slot would be the bridge (and insurance) as we groom and develop the drafted stud WR.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, TheProcess said:

I would’ve gladly given up a 2nd and a 6th for Mack. That’s incredible. Hope we don’t roll out geriatric Hughes and Addison again. 

The problem for the Bills is Mack is making $22 mil a year or so, and the Bills can't fit him under their meager available cap.  No premium signings ahead after paying 17.  (that is ok by me btw)

20 minutes ago, T master said:

Maybe but when you look at what the Saints & the Rams are going through to get under or keep the players they have i think that's not the way Beane is thinking .

I know a Lombari would be great in the trophy case but seeing who is no longer on the roster now & what they need for rookies & to either resign some along with other FA's plus the fact the contracts that will need to be paid in the not to distant future i believe Beane will get it done his way & will be successful at it .

We're actually in a pretty good position right now for future cap. One deal isn't going to kill us.

There's rumors of Fletcher Cox getting traded. Thats another chance for the Bills to get better. Let's see what happens.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

I can’t smash the like button on this enough. We are in the window NOW. We can’t bank on a rookie we pick at the end of round 1 to be THE guy that puts us over. Manipulate the cap however you can. Hell the Saints do it every year. They just created $8.7m of cap space this morning by reworking Kamaras contract. 

It's easier to do when you don't have a franchise QB to pay for...

Beane has spent some pretty decent money on the DL but the production hasn't matched the contracts. 

You shouldn't need an Excel spreadsheet and "advanced stats" to show that a DL gets pressure. Good old simple stats and seeing the QB running for his life or taking sacks works a lot better. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.