Khalil Mack traded to Chargers for 2nd and 6th round picks

FluffHead

2 hours ago, boater said:

He hasn't traded for Mack and adopted his bloated contract which would have destroyed any room to maneuver during free agency.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/khalil-mack-14414/

Sometimes, inaction is the best action of all. Let these rube GMs blow their wad on fancy moves and Beane will come in later and pick up the value players for cheap. He's brought the Bills this far, have some faith in the NFL Executive of the Year. Sheesh.

Completely agree - don't blow your wad early on players, especially with high contracts. 

There are high end or above average players that don't get the contract they were hoping for every year....and in the end, sign with a top contender for a team friendly deal.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

Completely agree - don't blow your wad early on players, especially with high contracts. 

There are high end or above average players that don't get the contract they were hoping for every year....and in the end, sign with a top contender for a team friendly deal.

Sometimes it's wiser to simply do nothing...and then watch the bodies of your enemies float downstream.

*paraphrasing Sun Tzu, or someone similarly revered

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

When the Cardinals traded for DeAndre Hopkins I was livid. A few hours later we traded for Diggs. I hope the same thing happens this time around. Zero excuse for us not to add a top tier pass rusher when Mack could have been had for a 2nd.

They don’t have the cap space to take on Mack’s contract without throwing future years out of wack.  Chargers got him cheap because of the money they will have to pay.  Mack and Bosa?  Lord have mercy...

26 minutes ago, purple haze said:

They don’t have the cap space to take on Mack’s contract without throwing future years out of wack.  Chargers got him cheap because of the money they will have to pay.  Mack and Bosa?  Lord have mercy...

They also have a bunch of defensive lime and that are free agents here this year don’t they

I am not quite as big of a Khalil Mack lover as some on this board. Because of the UB connection Bills fans have a tendency to get a bit misty eyed over him but for all his talent I have always thought his effort has been inconsistent in Oakland and Chicago and as a result rather than having him as a true top echelon pass rusher I have always had him as more of a top of tier two guy. 

When we have talked a few months back about the option of trading for him I was against giving up a 1st round pick and I was against giving up a 2nd and a future 3rd which I think was the type of compensation people were speculating about. But a 2nd and a 6th? I mean I know fitting the contract in immediately would have been challenging (because while we could have done something with his deal once he was here at the point we traded we'd have needed the room) I think this is an opportunity to add a difference maker at a reasonable cost that we have missed. 

• Like (+1) 1

the more moves i see the more i am convinced that we need chandler jones, and we need our draft to come up gangbusters.  by the end of the season, we want to get a starter at some combo of IOL/DT/CB/TE/WR (Wr assumed we have a beaze cut and starter can mean our 3rd wr getting some burn).

i figure our 1st and some kind of trade up in the 2nd or 3rd should get our IOL and WR, and either CB or DT, whomever presents the best value.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not quite as big of a Khalil Mack lover as some on this board. Because of the UB connection Bills fans have a tendency to get a bit misty eyed over him but for all his talent I have always thought his effort has been inconsistent in Oakland and Chicago and as a result rather than having him as a true top echelon pass rusher I have always had him as more of a top of tier two guy. 

When we have talked a few months back about the option of trading for him I was against giving up a 1st round pick and I was against giving up a 2nd and a future 3rd which I think was the type of compensation people were speculating about. But a 2nd and a 6th? I mean I know fitting the contract in immediately would have been challenging (because while we could have done something with his deal once he was here at the point we traded we'd have needed the room) I think this is an opportunity to add a difference maker at a reasonable cost that we have missed. 

I don't think this escaped McD and Beane's notice either.  He wasn't tearing it up in Chicago.

Mack is a local legend.  That's about it.

14 hours ago, TheProcess said:

I would’ve gladly given up a 2nd and a 6th for Mack. That’s incredible. Hope we don’t roll out geriatric Hughes and Addison again. 

$140m contract.  $18m Cap hit annually.   No way Bills can go anywhere near that thing.   Think before you post people.   

• Eyeroll 1

11 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

To everyone complaining that we didn't do this deal:

It cost a 2nd round pick that we need desperately to address wr,cb, and OG 

His cap hit is $18 Million and we have less than a million 

Mario Addison had more sacks than him last season and he had a steep drop in overall performance

Common sense people understood why this wouldn’t/couldn’t make sense. Some people are gonna complain regardless and want the Bills in on any and every big name player.

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Tom Brady won like six super bowls with the Patriots and they never made any big splashes

He never won a super bowl with Randy Moss

Wow.  When you put it that way, yeah, Buffalo should sit tight and sign average "process" types because the cap or something.  

Heck, I remember signing Mario Williams...no SB's there.  Same with Bryce Paup in '95.  

Ipso facto...never try to improve your team with high performing veteran talent.  It's never worked and never will.    

There are a lot cap experts and with overreaction here, everything is doable. Dead cap and all that. Everything is doable. Is Beane going to put together some kick the can deals? I don't think he will go crazy, but he needs to consider it as this is our window. We need to win a Super Bowl. If we are in cap hell after, it doesn't matter. Yes I want multiple Super Bowls, but they need to make sure they get one. After that, everything else is gravy. Then you figure out everything else on the back end. What that means is that they are going to have to take on some cap risk if they want to truly win it all. Does that mean grabbing Bobby Wagner for a big deal? Trading for McCaffrey? Was it going after Mack?Is it going after DeMarcus Lawrence? OBJ? Is it giving a bunch of money to guys like Brandon Scherff, JC Jackson, Chandler Jones? I really don't know. I am not sure what the "move" is, but this team needs to add talent on both sides of the ball if they want to win it all and the time is now. 

Drafting 9 rookies and expecting them to put the team over the top with marginal free agent additions isn't going to cut it. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I have not watched a ton of Mack since he went to Bears but just watched some highlights of past two seasons and I was amazed that most of his sacks seem to come from teams leaving a TE to block him alone, or even not getting a blocker on him at all. When planning for Chicago how do you forget about him?

15 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

At some point you have to. Especially given his drafting or FA abilities. Beane signs average to slightly above average players and just rotates them. That isn’t good enough. 

it was good enough this year, Bills hoist the trophy assuming a certain ST coach doesn't sh't the bed with 13 seconds left. 

the roster is there if the coaches would just do their job correctly under pressure.   Don't go into cap hell bc a coach screwed up.  

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

There are a lot cap experts and with overreaction here, everything is doable. Dead cap and all that. Everything is doable. Is Beane going to put together some kick the can deals? I don't think he will go crazy, but he needs to consider it as this is our window. We need to win a Super Bowl. If we are in cap hell after, it doesn't matter. Yes I want multiple Super Bowls, but they need to make sure they get one. After that, everything else is gravy. Then you figure out everything else on the back end. What that means is that they are going to have to take on some cap risk if they want to truly win it all. Does that mean grabbing Bobby Wagner for a big deal? Trading for McCaffrey? Was it going after Mack?Is it going after DeMarcus Lawrence? OBJ? Is it giving a bunch of money to guys like Brandon Scherff, JC Jackson, Chandler Jones? I really don't know. I am not sure what the "move" is, but this team needs to add talent on both sides of the ball if they want to win it all and the time is now. 

Drafting 9 rookies and expecting them to put the team over the top with marginal free agent additions isn't going to cut it. 

Feel the same. The Bills need to go all in as the time to win is now. If they end up in cap hell because of it and have to suffer thru a bunch of losing seasons then so be it. Just win one Super Bowl. Like you said anything after that is gravy. If there was ever a fanbase in sports that deserves a championship its Bills fans.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.