Khalil Mack traded to Chargers for 2nd and 6th round picks

FluffHead

25 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Every GM has misses, bottom line he turned Buffalo into a top 3-5 team for the foreseeable future.  That's after inheriting a ton of bad salary cap mismanagement, no QB, and a team that hadn't made the playoffs in ages.

I like Mack too, but not at the expense of a 2nd rounder and the cap hit he carries...at his age and foot issue, it's a risk.  Chandler Jones, much more desirable, other options exist in the draft as well.

Yeah…..that’s why I said “he’s a very good GM”

1 minute ago, TheWeatherMan said:

If Mack was willing to restructure this should have been a no brainer for our FO.  Trade Edmunds and a 4th for Mack.  He is the missing piece.  Still time Beaner to get this done, swoop in and pirate him. 

Yeah….please explain why the Bears would want Edmunds when they’re about to extend roquon, a superior player.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

Yeah….please explain why the Bears would want Edmunds when they’re about to extend roquon, a superior player.  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Because they are the Bears? 🤷 

I won't repeat what many have said - the 2 and 6 aren't the issue - it's the contract.  But to add to that, do you really think Chicago got a call from San Diego and took the first deal offered?  Do you really think Beene did not know about this, or that Chicago did not make it known to certain potential suitors that this was going down?  Maybe Buffalo did snoop around the deal.  Maybe Khalil had some input into where he was going.  Maybe talk of a restructure was not on the table.  Beene is a savvy customer as he has proven time and again (even many of the so-called bad calls folks above have mentioned were viewed as solid moves at the time).  I would think that he had a shot at this and for one reason or another decided it was not the right deal.  I'm not in any position to question him on that. 

11 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

DAMN!!! I would have made that trade any day of the week and all day Sunday.  For a 2nd and a 5th we'd have our hometown boy back.  Should have made this happen.

The Bills could not have done this trade for a 2nd and 5th. 

12 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Because they are the Bears? 🤷 

The Bears aren’t the Bears anymore they’re the Chiefs/Colts at GM/HC. They are tearing it down and completely rebuilding,  and wanted to offload the entire contract because they aren’t a playoff team and mack isn’t getting them there this year or next. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

DAMN!!! I would have made that trade any day of the week and all day Sunday.  For a 2nd and a 5th we'd have our hometown boy back.  Should have made this happen.

I think everyone would love to have Mack on this team. But he’s 31, and has been declining stat wise, and health wise. 

23 mil annually is a lot, and I think the biggest reason he’s a charger right now. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

They gave up less because they absorb the contract. If the contract wasn’t structured that way it would have been more. The Bills could not have absorbed the contract and could sign another DE like Chandler Jones for a contract they can structure  to fit their cap in FA  and give up nothing. It’s a deal the chargers could do but most could not. 

Yep. Contract, injuries, age were certainly less than ideal. Whether it’s Chandler Jones (not ideal on age either) or someone else, I’m really hoping they shore up edge rusher in FA with a legit threat. It won’t be cheap, but I’m fine with that even if it’s the only move we make in FA. Wouldn't mind a mid-level corner either in FA, but that might be too much. Offense can be addressed in the draft as far as I’m concerned. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.