Bills '22 WR class

Hermes

Bills WR questions  

177 members have voted

1. 1. How many new WRs wind up on the Bills?

• 3+
  2. 2. Will the Bills draft multiple WRs?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What round(s) will the Bills draft a WR?

• None

While the disappointment from the season finale against the Chiefs looms large over Bills Mafia, coaches, GM, and the players alike, we turn now turn to free agency and the draft to move forward in the pursuit of the ultimate goal. The Lombardi Trophy. As such the biggest question to answer is how to improve the roster from this point forward.

With the pending departures of Isaiah McKenzie and Cole Beasley, the Bills are poised to address the WR position in either FA, or the draft. So the question is now, how will they fill the void? And with how many players? Will Bills Brass double dip at WR, like they did last year at DE? Will a marquee player again end up in Buffalo? 

1 hour ago, Hermes said:

While the disappointment from the season finale against the Chiefs looms large over Bills Mafia, coaches, GM, and the players alike, we turn now turn to free agency and the draft to move forward in the pursuit of the ultimate goal. The Lombardi Trophy. As such the biggest question to answer is how to improve the roster from this point forward.

With the pending departures of Isaiah McKenzie and Cole Beasley, the Bills are poised to address the WR position in either FA, or the draft. So the question is now, how will they fill the void? And with how many players? Will Bills Brass double dip at WR, like they did last year at DE? Will a marquee player again end up in Buffalo? 

Why do you assume McKenzie is leaving? I hope he steps into The slot when Beasley gets traded

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Georgie said:

Why do you assume McKenzie is leaving? I hope he steps into The slot when Beasley gets traded

I suppose I'm just preparing myself for a bit of a let down. He's shown that he can add a lot to the offense and is a solid, yet underutilized talent. I have no idea how the coaching staff and Beane view him and I don't want to get my hopes up that they bring him back.

Even if they do I could see them adding another 2 WR in the draft/FA. Adding speed to the offense is, in my opinion, a no brainer. Particularly in a record setting year for draftees. 

14 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

They could go fir a TE and do more 2-2-1 sets.

you can line up a RB as a receiver or use Knox in a slot and use an e tra tackle.

There was actually a thread about Ken Dorsey and his offensive philosophy, which essentially said his background is in running 2 TE sets. So the Bills could go TE too (Gronk or otherwise)

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I said 3 new receivers. Jameson Williams, plus an undrafted FA and a veteran.

If they draft Jameson, I don't care how the rest of it plays out. That's a successful draft in my mind. One of the most explosive players coming out would be dangerous to add to the offense. It would just help free everyone else up to make plays

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A plug for the local boy: In the 7th round the Bills will select what later turns out to be the steal of the draft - Erik Ezukanma (Texas Tech).

Seriously, after the 2020 season he might have been a 2nd/3rd round pick. Last season he was not quite as successful due to injury and the atrocious play of the TTU QBs. He has good hands for contested catches and fights for YACs.

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DJB said:

Ill say we draft 7 WR's this year.

If we trade back, we can draft 8 or 9, it’s supposed to be a deep WR class. 

I say we get one vet (like a Beasley, Sanders, Brown guy) and draft on in the first 3 rounds. 

Beasley on a reduced contract is fine by me.  McKenzie would also be a good keep.   One new stud.  Hodgkins hasn't shown anything yet, so I am not spending that nickel.  He is entering year 3, and not many cheap years left if he is capable.  So...., might as well take a shot with a true rookie who would have a few cheap years ahead.

3 hours ago, DrW said:

A plug for the local boy: In the 7th round the Bills will select what later turns out to be the steal of the draft - Erik Ezukanma (Texas Tech).

Seriously, after the 2020 season he might have been a 2nd/3rd round pick. Last season he was not quite as successful due to injury and the atrocious play of the TTU QBs. He has good hands for contested catches and fights for YACs.

I’d be happy to draft this guy later on. I think the Bills will wait on WR so maybe he’ll be an option. I also like Mike Woods later on too. 

I like Olave from "The" Ohio State University or even Williams from Alabama even coming off the ACL...see him as a potential McGahee pick where he wouldn't have been there if healthy and we have to wait a bit for him to be ready to contribute but he is hugely talented.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Beasley on a reduced contract is fine by me.  McKenzie would also be a good keep.   One new stud.  Hodgkins hasn't shown anything yet, so I am not spending that nickel.  He is entering year 3, and not many cheap years left if he is capable.  So...., might as well take a shot with a true rookie who would have a few cheap years ahead.

I was thinking some of the same. But Hodge is my wild card. The thing I remember after the draft was McD stressing that the WR's need to catch the ball. Hodge had the hands, length and strength,  but his route running and timing needed work and he's not a burner. He was Gabe lite.  

Even that first trading camp, they seemed like the same guy until Hodge got hurt and fell behind. I was looking for a jump last year, but the room was loaded with vets and Gabe was light years ahead at this point. Gabe didn't even get his shot until Sanders got hurt. I'm very interested to see how refined Hodge is this year after learning from Sanders and Beas. He has a skill set, can he put it all together and be a viable weapon. 

22 hours ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

I was thinking some of the same. But Hodge is my wild card. The thing I remember after the draft was McD stressing that the WR's need to catch the ball. Hodge had the hands, length and strength,  but his route running and timing needed work and he's not a burner. He was Gabe lite.  

Even that first trading camp, they seemed like the same guy until Hodge got hurt and fell behind. I was looking for a jump last year, but the room was loaded with vets and Gabe was light years ahead at this point. Gabe didn't even get his shot until Sanders got hurt. I'm very interested to see how refined Hodge is this year after learning from Sanders and Beas. He has a skill set, can he put it all together and be a viable weapon. 

I forgot all about him honestly. It's going to be interesting to see if the coaches feel the same way. He's a later round pick, same with Stevenson, so I can't imagine they're going to bank too much on them taking big steps but you never know.  

On 3/11/2022 at 10:09 AM, TampaBillsJunkie said:

20 hours ago, Hermes said:

I forgot all about him honestly. It's going to be interesting to see if the coaches feel the same way. He's a later round pick, same with Stevenson, so I can't imagine they're going to bank too much on them taking big steps but you never know.  

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/players-roster/isaiah-hodgins/

Let's clarify who you are talking about.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.