Bills don’t need a number 2 receiver

BuffBills51

12 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I've had high hopes for Davis since coming off his rookie year. The Chiefs game really cemented those feelings. Guy has every tool to be a DOMINANT receiver and I fully expect him to take the next step this season. He should've started over Sanders from the very beginning.

I totally agree with this statement, and would still be all for adding another WR in free agency

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And what is AFTER Diggs and Davis???  Yes WR is a need and actually a pretty big one for the type of offense we run. 

I never said it wasn’t a need. I just don’t expect the Bills to go spend big money on a player such as Kirk. I think we will bring in a mid level veteran on a one year contract then draft a receiver. I also think Stevenson could be a surprise player this year with his speed. He showed well in the preseason last year before his injury. 

2 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

I never said it wasn’t a need. I just don’t expect the Bills to go spend big money on a player such as Kirk. I think we will bring in a mid level veteran on a one year contract then draft a receiver. I also think Stevenson could be a surprise player this year with his speed. He showed well in the preseason last year before his injury. 

Out of curiosity, what is it from Stevenson that you see that you believe could be that surprise player?  Is it just his speed or anything else?

4 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Per the NY Post Jets WR Braxton Berrios is going to test the market. Any interest. With Beasley most likely gone and Sanders probably retiring this could be a decent signing that probably wouldn't break the bank.

probably interest but seems like they'll try to sign Kirk first

• Like (+1) 1

We have the premier QB in the NFL on the early side of his prime years.

Our offense passes at the highest rate in the NFL

KC and GB have seen the limitations coming from average 2,3,4 WR's around, arguably, their first ballot HOF QB's

I am a Gabe truther but we still need more firepower to see how far we can go with Josh.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Magox said:

Out of curiosity, what is it from Stevenson that you see that you believe could be that surprise player?  Is it just his speed or anything else?

Stevenson had one of the best 3 cone drills in the combine for a receiver. He is raw but with the right coaching he has good speed and agility that could allow him to become a weapon. In limited preseason action he showed that he could get separation albeit against backups. 

13 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Kirk is so much better than Berrios. It isn’t even close. 

He is but the Bills only have so much $$$$ to spend. You could get decent production from Berrios at a reasonable cost. The Bills have more pressing needs(DL/CB) than WR to use that money on. From what I've read this is also a deep draft as far as WR's go.

Edited by Greg S

Another name to keep an eye on is Jamison Crowder. He could be had on a likely 2-3 year contract and would be less than Kirk but has similar stats with subpar quarterback play. 

Crowder stats:

2021- 51 rec 447 yards 2 td

2020- 59 rec 699 yards 6 td

2019- 78 rec 833 yards 6 td

Kirk Stats:

2021- 77 rec 982 yards 5td

2020- 48 rec 621 yards 6td

2019- 68 rec 709 yards 3td

Edited by BuffBills51

13 hours ago, BuffBills51 said:

I could be wrong but I think the Bills have a guy ready to completely breakout next year in Gabe Davis. I keep seeing the DK, the Kirk, and Lockhett threads. I agree they have done more up to this point in their careers but Davis has all the tools to be a high level number 2. Gabe’s last 6 game as a starter including the post season he had 26 catches and 8 touchdowns. 

He is only due to make around a million dollars next year which would be an extremely cheap number two receiver and give the Bills the flexibility to go after larger needs. I don’t see the Bills making any moves other than potentially picking up a slot guy this off season because we have our stud number 2 receiver. 

I know Kirk is a slot receiver, not sure if Lockett is also. Since it's likely Cole Beasley won't be back then I think it's a need. Gabe Davis is our #2 for sure but I really like Jameson Crowder in the slot and maybe resign Emmanuel Sanders who gave us solid depth also.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

33 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

so who gets cut to pay for him

They are already there. Beasley, Klein, Feliciano more than makes up for the salary. The cap is so extremely manageable. 

17 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

Another name to keep an eye is Jamison Crowder. He could be had on a likely 2-3 year contract and would be less than Kirk but has similar stats with subpar quarterback play. 

Crowder stats:

2021- 51 rec 447 yards 2 td

2020- 59 rec 699 yards 6 td

2019- 78 rec 833 yards 6 td

Kirk Stats:

2021- 77 rec 982 yards 5td

2020- 48 rec 621 yards 6td

2019- 68 rec 709 yards 3td

I am not a Crowder guy. He is essentially just Beasley. Kirk adds a different dynamic imo. 

12 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Berrios gives us some return skills though. I like both tbh. Yet I think Crowder be the cheapest of the 3 options presented and go for him and draft a kid.

Typically, once you pay guys like Berrios, you don't use them on returns anymore. If he is their starting slot, they will not use him to return punts and kicks. I don't think he is a special player honestly. 

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They are already there. Beasley, Klein, Feliciano more than makes up for the salary. The cap is so extremely manageable. 

I am not a Crowder guy. He is essentially just Beasley. Kirk adds a different dynamic imo. 

I agree Kirk is a much more dynamic player. I just don’t see the Bills paying the salary he is going to demand. 

How about Russell Gage as an alternative? He won’t command as much as Kirk, but would be more than Crowder. He has shown playmaking ability with the Falcons in the slot. 

39 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

Stevenson had one of the best 3 cone drills in the combine for a receiver. He is raw but with the right coaching he has good speed and agility that could allow him to become a weapon. In limited preseason action he showed that he could get separation albeit against backups. 

I can't speak to his cone drill, but I agree that he has great speed.  In the little I saw him play, however, he seems to be a little "stiff" and he has a long injury history.  It would be great if he stayed healthy and broke out, but I'm not confident that it will happen.

9 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

yes you are wrong, and obviously not a reader, because no one around here is saying the Bills need to get someone to keep Davis off the field. People are rightly arguing for letting Beasley walk and getting someone to replace him in the slot. 

Honestly if you can point to a single post hating on Davis and positing for a starting WR ahead of him I would be shocked. He has received universal praise here (for good reason.)

I'll put a little note of caution here.

Just as McKenzie had a fantastic Week 17 2020 game against the Dolphins (playing man and heading for the bus) and against the Patriots (playing man and letting him run away from them), Davis had a super-fantastic game against the Chiefs when they had a plan to shut down Diggs, shut down Beasley, contain Knox, and let anyone else beat them.

Just as those two fantastic games don't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that McKenzie could take over for Beasley in the slot and do everything Beasley can, Davis amazeball game against the Chiefs (and a couple other fantastic games he had) don't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Davis is ready to be our #2.

He could be.  But there have also been games where he's dropped passes (Ravens playoff, dropped a touchdown pass, Jags game etc) that would have been difference making plays. 

I thought the Bills gave Sanders too many snaps for too much of the season at Davis expense, but we also have to realize there may have been a reason for that.  Davis is a talented young player, but he still needs to take a step to become that full-time #2.  He needs to improve his mid-50s catch % - yes, there are games where he Owns Toe Drag Swag, and part of the low % is being asked to run deep routs and make the tough sideline grabs, but there are also catchable balls that he doesn't haul in.

IMHO the Bills need to hedge their bets.

32 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Typically, once you pay guys like Berrios, you don't use them on returns anymore. If he is their starting slot, they will not use him to return punts and kicks. I don't think he is a special player honestly. 

If we could get another Beasley, I would be very happy to have that as the slot receiver.    

Kirk, yes he adds dynamism and would certainly represent an upgrade at this juncture in Beasley's career, but having someone who knows how to be a trusted receiver to make big catches in big moments and move the sticks the way Beasley has done over the past few years has been tremendous for both Josh Allen's development and for the efficiency on our offense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.