Bills don’t need a number 2 receiver

BuffBills51

20 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Berrios is electric. 

As a return guy I suppose. I don’t see it with him. 

20 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

What is this obsession w/ Berrios? Dudes never even had a 500 yard season. Yeah yeah Jets and all, but come on. 

Yep I agree. Kirk is the guy who fits the best imo.

1 hour ago, BuffBills51 said:

I could be wrong but I think the Bills have a guy ready to completely breakout next year in Gabe Davis. I keep seeing the DK, the Kirk, and Lockhett threads. I agree they have done more up to this point in their careers but Davis has all the tools to be a high level number 2. Gabe’s last 6 game as a starter including the post season he had 26 catches and 8 touchdowns. 

He is only due to make around a million dollars next year which would be an extremely cheap number two receiver and give the Bills the flexibility to go after larger needs. I don’t see the Bills making any moves other than potentially picking up a slot guy this off season because we have our stud number 2 receiver. 

In addition to adding a slot guy, they really need to have a guy with top end speed to take the top off the defense.  Neither Diggs nor Davis are that kind of downfield threat.  There are several fast WR's in the draft that should be available on day two of the draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

we ran a lot of 3-4 WR sets last season. Doubt that changes. Beasley and Sanders gone so we do need WRs

Call Gabe "#2" or whatever...  It doesn't matter.  As Nucci says (more or less), the Bills need four good wideouts to stretch opposing defenses beyond their capabilities.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffBills51 said:

I could be wrong but I think the Bills have a guy ready to completely breakout next year in Gabe Davis. I keep seeing the DK, the Kirk, and Lockhett threads. I agree they have done more up to this point in their careers but Davis has all the tools to be a high level number 2. Gabe’s last 6 game as a starter including the post season he had 26 catches and 8 touchdowns. 

He is only due to make around a million dollars next year which would be an extremely cheap number two receiver and give the Bills the flexibility to go after larger needs. I don’t see the Bills making any moves other than potentially picking up a slot guy this off season because we have our stud number 2 receiver. 

Agree, but a very good slot guy I'd assume they'd be looking for, easier said than done with limited $$.  But do agree with you they don't need a #2. 

Another response posted listed the number of missing targets that needs to be replaced, believe it was around 125.  Add a good slot replacement, that number is reduced by around 70 so now need another 50.  Get a good 2nd TE or another WR and you're back even.

Also wanted to comment on the Berrios posts, isn't he also a return guy?  Maybe he's viewed as the #4 WR and return man, fills two roles.  Nothing too bad with only 500 yards as WR then if also returning.

“Number one” or “number two” receiver are outdated concepts.

The Bills run the most 10 and 11 personnel in the league. They have 3-4 receivers on the field A TON. 

Sanders, McKenzie, and Beasley may all be gone. Past Diggs and Davis, the Bills have nothing but unproven late round fliers in Stevenson and Hodgins.

The Bills absolutely, positively need at least two new receivers. They need talented, viable, speedy pass catchers. They need to keep the offense viable, diverse, and dangerous. They need to keep pace with weapon-rich Kansas City.

THE BILLS. NEED. RECEIVERS.

It’s not an opinion. It’s a fact.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I agree, they don’t need a #2, they need a physical #1B.  Diggs is a great possession receiver, but he’s not physically take anybody out.  It makes it a lot harder to win in the red zone with that.  Get the guy with size that can cause a problem all the way down the field. 

I think Davis is coming on, but if he is good enough to compete for the job, you have a great problem. 

23 minutes ago, Logic said:

“Number one” or “number two” receiver are outdated concepts.

The Bills run the most 10 and 11 personnel in the league. They have 3-4 receivers on the field A TON. 

Sanders, McKenzie, and Beasley may all be gone. Past Diggs and Davis, the Bills have nothing but unproven late round fliers in Stevenson and Hodgins.

The Bills absolutely, positively need at least two new receivers. They need talented, viable, speedy pass catchers. They need to keep the offense viable, diverse, and dangerous. They need to keep pace with weapon-rich Kansas City.

THE BILLS. NEED. RECEIVERS.

It’s not an opinion. It’s a fact.

Like Beane said, personnel groupings were based on talent. If they sign Gronk then expect more 12 personnel.

• Vomit 1

47 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Call Gabe "#2" or whatever...  It doesn't matter.  As Nucci says (more or less), the Bills need four good wideouts to stretch opposing defenses beyond their capabilities.  

I’ll even go to 4 good pass catchers and roll in Knox. 

they need 1 more matchup problem. Gronk or Kirk are great options. 

if gronk, I’d be aiming at another speed guy at wr that’s either day two pick or McKenzie type. Developmental but able to contribute. 

2 hours ago, nucci said:

we ran a lot of 3-4 WR sets last season. Doubt that changes. Beasley and Sanders gone so we do need WRs

These are the same guys saying we don't need any trades at the deadline. I love Davis and he played great against KC but that was after KC lost their best DB and then started doubling Diggs.  Davis is good but he also had games where he could not create separation ,  so yes we do need another top receiver or a 2d/3rd guy who can stretch the defence. 

Seeing the McKenzie interview hes goooooone. Especially after the season he had in his head. He thinks he's gunna out together a season of NE games, and is going to want to br paid as such. 

Not only are we not going to pay him, but we've shown very little in terms of wanting to play him. He wants no part of this team

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

What is this obsession w/ Berrios? Dudes never even had a 500 yard season. Yeah yeah Jets and all, but come on. 

He's a younger version of Cole Beasley and a little quicker (ran a 4.44 second 40 yard dash).  Reliable slot target who can find spots in a zone and convert 3rd downs for you.  Also, can be our answer as a returner.  I just wish his price tag was lower because he'd be a great signing.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He's a younger version of Cole Beasley and a little quicker (ran a 4.44 second 40 yard dash).  Reliable slot target who can find spots in a zone and convert 3rd downs for you.  Also, can be our answer as a returner.  I just wish his price tag was lower because he'd be a great signing.

Berrios had an almost identical first 3 seasons as Beasley. The difference being, Bease had Dak throwing to him while Berrios had Darnold, what his name and what's his name throwing to him. 

Berrios could be a 60 plus reception guys, take over the jet sweep McKenzie role and end our nightmare returner situation. Hopefully for a minimal price.  

• Agree 1

I think most of us feel this way about Davis, but in today's NFL you can never have enough WRs and if I'm not mistaken in terms of last year's roster we only have 3 under contract, one of whom was a rookie last year who hasn't demonstrated he belongs on the field and it's pretty clear we're trading or cutting another one.

We need to draft/sign multiple viable Wide Receivers... period.

4 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Berrios had an almost identical first 3 seasons as Beasley. The difference being, Bease had Dak throwing to him while Berrios had Darnold, what his name and what's his name throwing to him. 

Berrios could be a 60 plus reception guys, take over the jet sweep McKenzie role and end our nightmare returner situation. Hopefully for a minimal price.  

Romo was throwing to Beasley his first three years but it's a fair comparison.  I think he's good enough where with the right QB he could have a Wes Welker type career.  Or he could re-sign with the Jets.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.