Bills don’t need a number 2 receiver

BuffBills51

We may not need a #2 WR, but we certainly do need a #3 & 4 WR, wether through the draft, FA, or from who we already have in house. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffBills51 said:

I could be wrong but I think the Bills have a guy ready to completely breakout next year in Gabe Davis. I keep seeing the DK, the Kirk, and Lockhett threads. I agree they have done more up to this point in their careers but Davis has all the tools to be a high level number 2. Gabe’s last 6 game as a starter including the post season he had 26 catches and 8 touchdowns. 

He is only due to make around a million dollars next year which would be an extremely cheap number two receiver and give the Bills the flexibility to go after larger needs. I don’t see the Bills making any moves other than potentially picking up a slot guy this off season because we have our stud number 2 receiver. 

We still need depth and multiple weapons to make it thru the very long season and then the grueling playoffs….

We had seven good weapons last year we need to keep that number stable. It’s not that we need a Super Star, it’s the # of weapons…And we a couple good weapons. We have Diggs all alone then a bunch of good weapons in Knox, Beasley, Davis, Singletary, Sanders and McKenzie. Looks like we will have to replace Sanders, McKenzie and Beasley this year….

Maybe Davis next year? So, three this year. Who will they be? I figure a FA, One of Hodgson or Stevenson and a roookie by the third rd. Might be a couple upgrades and a downgrade….It would be awesome news to hear Davis extended…. So… I kind of agree with you… Davis is a fine player but there are still question marks as we have used Davis fantastically. Having so many weapons we get Davis lost in the defense….I don’t know how good he is beating one on one hard coverage by a #2 CB….or, I don’t know at least…

Go Bills!

4 hours ago, BuffBills51 said:

I could be wrong but I think the Bills have a guy ready to completely breakout next year in Gabe Davis. I keep seeing the DK, the Kirk, and Lockhett threads. I agree they have done more up to this point in their careers but Davis has all the tools to be a high level number 2. Gabe’s last 6 game as a starter including the post season he had 26 catches and 8 touchdowns. 

He is only due to make around a million dollars next year which would be an extremely cheap number two receiver and give the Bills the flexibility to go after larger needs. I don’t see the Bills making any moves other than potentially picking up a slot guy this off season because we have our stud number 2 receiver. 

yes you are wrong, and obviously not a reader, because no one around here is saying the Bills need to get someone to keep Davis off the field. People are rightly arguing for letting Beasley walk and getting someone to replace him in the slot. 

Honestly if you can point to a single post hating on Davis and positing for a starting WR ahead of him I would be shocked. He has received universal praise here (for good reason.)

That's a pipeline we'll want to keep full. Keep bringing in young guys to develop.

We're going to pay Diggs big money. We might not be able to afford another big contract in that position group.

• Agree 1

This topic had been discussed ad nauseam. Draft WR at 25, trade for DK/ Lockett, sign overpriced FA. 

Yes we need depth especially with the number of targets walking out the door. But, and big but I don’t see mentioned. 

This offense runs through JA17. He’s going to elevate whoever is next to Diggs and Davis. Which is the OPs point.

All this talk about needing more weapons, but then needing IOL, pass rush, corner next to Tre etc. Keep JA17 upright, and guys will step up. 

6 hours ago, BuffBills51 said:

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Break it down by targets. With Beasley, Sanders, and Mckenzie gone that opens up 210 targets if we use last year.

Let's say Davis is WR2 and eats up 50 of those remaining targets. That puts him around 115 targets next year. 

Knox could eat up another 25 targets putting him around 100 targets next season.

That still leaves 135 targets! You see my point. We're a passing offense. We have a lot of targets to go around. 

Bill total targets: 443

Diggs 164 (5th most targeted WR1)

Beasely 112 (3rd most targeted WR2)

Sanders 72 (3rd most targeted WR3)

Davis 63 (11th most targeted WR3)

McKenzie 26 (Unrated)

Knox 71 (20th most targeted TE1)

Sweeney 12 (29th most targeted TE2)

Singletary 50 (13th most RB1 targets)

Moss 26 (17th most RB2 targets)

Breida 9 (23rd most RB3 targets)

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BuffBills51 said:

Not only we need to address a WR in the 

free agency I hope we draft another stud WR in the first round  , I don’t care if Gabe Davis is WR 2 , 3 , or 4 we need to give Josh weapons 

9 hours ago, nucci said:

we ran a lot of 3-4 WR sets last season. Doubt that changes. Beasley and Sanders gone so we do need WRs

The bills ran a lot of three wr sets but few 4 wr sets.   Davis was #4 and had a hard time getting snaps.    With the cap position and other needs it is reasonable to say davis should be opposite Diggs and another sanders type signing is not needed.   Don’t get me wrong more talent is better but there are lots of needs and limited resources.   Slot is another thing.  If you don’t have Beasley or McKenzie the. Something must be done.  

53 minutes ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

The bills ran a lot of three wr sets but few 4 wr sets.   Davis was #4 and had a hard time getting snaps.    With the cap position and other needs it is reasonable to say davis should be opposite Diggs and another sanders type signing is not needed.   Don’t get me wrong more talent is better but there are lots of needs and limited resources.   Slot is another thing.  If you don’t have Beasley or McKenzie the. Something must be done.  

Sanders, Beasley and McKenzie most likely gone. This is a passing offense . We need more WRs, Davis will be opposite Diggs but expect a signing of Kirk or similar

This thinking of - all we need are 2 WR’s and a slot - is outdated, sort of like the conventional defensive thinking of just needing 2 Cb’s and 2 safeties.   

The game has evolved to more wide open style of play, not to mention that Josh Allen is the best offensive weapon from the QB position the Bills have ever had.   It only makes sense to surround him as much as you can with capable weapons.   Josh is the multiplier, he makes everyone around him better, the better the talent around him the higher the ceiling the team’s offense can achieve.

Also, what happens if either Diggs or Gabe goes down with an injury, then what?

The team will be much better served with another dynamic receiving option.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I'm totally expecting the Bills to draft a WR just not in Round 1....possibly 2nd or 3rd.  This class of receivers is very deep, they could get a guy in the 2nd that could come in and contribute right away.  Gabe Davis could be a solid #2 but we need to add another good receiver to the room either way.  

Cinci is the new model.  Their top three WR's caught 222 balls for 3374 yards.  our top 3 caught 227 for 2544.  Bills need to feel the need for speed.

Diggs runs a 4.46, Chase a 4.34.  Need a threat to take the top off of the defense, Davis can be our "Big" receiver, but still need someone who runs in the low 4.3's to keep defenses honest.

11 hours ago, BuffBills51 said:

And what is AFTER Diggs and Davis???  Yes WR is a need and actually a pretty big one for the type of offense we run. 

This is a passing offense that makes heavy use of multiple WR sets.  They need more than two that can play. 

I fully expect them to take a WR in the first two rounds plus another later on and they may sign a decent stopgap veteran as well. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.