Banged Up Bills analyzes Jameson Williams injury and recovery

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Not to mention McGahee was pretty good. Him hating Buffalo didn’t have anything to do with his knees.

No, but he was an awful pick even if you ignore him hating Buffalo. Entirely missed the first year, long career, made two Pro Bowls. Career 4.0 per carry avg, and slightly below that with the Bills.

He didn't have a bad career overall, but he was never any good compared to what he'd been in college, and for a guy picked in the first round at #23, you want more. That was a bad pick.

I'm not against Williams. If he recovers, it could be a great pick. If he re-injures an ACL at some point, and the article points out re-injury rates are somewhat concerning, it would be bad for the Bills. 

I see justification for positive and negative arguments. I might lean towards picking him if he's there, but that could be a big mistake.

2 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Same situation with Thurman Thomas.  He lasted to 2nd round due to knee injury.  We had no 1st round pick that year.  Seemed to work out okay.

Yeah, but as you say, Thurman fell to the 2nd. Jameson won't, or at least not anywhere near the Bills 2nd round pick, I think.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, but he was an awful pick even if you ignore him hating Buffalo. Entirely missed the first year, long career, made two Pro Bowls. Career 4.0 per carry avg, and slightly below that with the Bills.

He didn't have a bad career overall, but he was never any good compared to what he'd been in college, and for a guy picked in the first round at #23, you want more. That was a bad pick.

I'm not against Williams. If he recovers, it could be a great pick. If he re-injures an ACL at some point, and the article points out re-injury rates are somewhat concerning, it would be bad for the Bills. 

I see justification for positive and negative arguments. I might lean towards picking him if he's there, but that could be a big mistake.

Yeah, but as you say, Thurman fell to the 2nd. Jameson won't, or at least not anywhere near the Bills 2nd round pick, I think.

Not really my point, but okay. 

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

"According to the Journal of Orthopedic & Sports Physical Therapy, athletes who return to sport prior to nine months following an ACL injury are at a seven-fold greater risk to suffer a future ACL tear."

If Williams is there at 25.........he is very likely the most potentially impactful player left on the board based on what the players have actually put on tape.........IMO he was the best player on the field in the Alabama v Georgia games.........which speaks volumes.

But if they take him we should be prepared for the possibility that he doesn't play in 2022.   Because even when he is ready to play he is a raw talent at the WR position and without 100% of his speed back yet he may not be better than the more refined options they may have at the position.

It’s a really tough spot to be in, particularly for a team that expects to be playing in (hopefully hosting) the AFC Championship game.  Hard to justify taking that risk, knowing how hard it is to win the big one, but if Williams recovers fully he could (will?) be a superstar.

I’d still like to think Beane is getting on the horn to Seattle about a certain Mr. Metcalf…with Russ gone they’ve got to be fully open for business.

• Like (+1) 1

If Williams is on the board at 25, he’s who I want. I don’t care if he only plays half the season. A veteran stopgap can get you through til then.

Williams is exactly — EXACTLY — what our offense needs.

A Diggs, Davis, Williams trio with Knox at TE and #17 under center is the most lethal passing offense in the league.

I’d also be happy with Olave or Dotson, but Williams tops my wishlist.

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, mannc said:

I don't know how I feel about this.  There are going to be a lot of really good, 100% healthy WRs available at 25.  Why take this chance?

Kinda agree with this. You never know with WR's. 18 WR's were taken before Diggs in 2015 and many of those are history now. 

This is a very deep draft for receivers, let someone else take the chance.

I think I’m leaning towards drafting a WR who won’t miss half the season, right out the gate...

If we were rebuilding, I would be ok with Jameson...But every game is so important to win, for home field advantage...We can’t really afford to not have our 1st round pick contributing imo...

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Same situation with Thurman Thomas.  He lasted to 2nd round due to knee injury.  We had no 1st round pick that year.  Seemed to work out okay.

Pretty sure Thurman didn’t have an ACL tear. Also, this is different…we’re talking about a position where (1) there are likely to be a number of other, fully healthy players who have only slightly lower grades, and (2) this is a player (and a position) where losing even a little bit of speed, quickness or agility means losing the exact thing that makes him elite…

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Pretty sure Thurman didn’t have an ACL tear. Also, this is different…we’re talking about a position where (1) there are likely to be a number of other, fully healthy players who have only slightly lower grades, and (2) this is a player (and a position) where losing even a little bit of speed, quickness or agility means losing the exact thing that makes him elite…

Thurman had a partial ACLtear his junior year at Oklahoma State.  

8 hours ago, eball said:

It’s a really tough spot to be in, particularly for a team that expects to be playing in (hopefully hosting) the AFC Championship game.  Hard to justify taking that risk, knowing how hard it is to win the big one, but if Williams recovers fully he could (will?) be a superstar.

I’d still like to think Beane is getting on the horn to Seattle about a certain Mr. Metcalf…with Russ gone they’ve got to be fully open for business.

The tantalizing part of trading for Metcalf is the very low cap hit in 2022 paired with him being the receiving equivalent of Josh Allen..........Allen combines elite size and arm strength...........Metcalf is elite size and speed.

They could end up losing Metcalf to free agency in a year..........but if they draft for need in round 1 they could end up with a Shaq Lawson type JAG with that pick also.

There are no guarantees that it would result in a SB for Buffalo........but it wouldn't be unlike KC trading for Orlando Brown last year...........KC might have been emboldened to do that after the paltry return they had gotten from 1st rounder Clyde Edwards Helaire the year before.

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Did Jeffrey Simmons miss his whole rookie season or did he play at some point? That move really paid off for the titans and they seem to really take risks in the 1st - injury and character 

He tore his ACL an entire month after Jameson did and still played 9 games his rookie year. Wouldn’t be crazy at all to think that Williams could play 12+ regular season games this year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.