Shaq Lawson tweet

Buffalo_Stampede

Why is it everytime FA is about to start I feel like Beane is at Wal-Mart standing over the DVD clearance bin rummaging through jewel cases trying to find a bargain. 

Our team is really close and windows don't stay open very long. Take a chance like the Rams and acquire difference makers to get us over the top. 

10-15 years from now nobody's gonna remember how well you managed the cap. What we will remember and cherish is that year we finally got that Lombardi in the trophy case.

• Agree 4

27 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

If Lawson signs, it will point to a shake up in the DE room. I have theorized that Hughes, Obada and Epenesa won't be on the team next season 

Obada has a chance to be back.

Epenesa isn’t going anywhere going into his third season.  Played well at times last year and I feel he will only improve.

Shaq would be good at the right price.  Believe he knows that he’s not breaking the bank whatever team he lands on.  Wants back on the Bills because he knows they will be able to put him in a good position to hopefully get back to form.

• Like (+1) 1

Shaq would be a solid pick as he and Rousseau are both solid at setting the edge and playing against RPO’s. It would be nice to have a solid run stopping unit on early downs. The go get after the QB. This coming year we play the AFC & NFC North. A bunch of run first teams and some great RB’s. Plus we play Tennessee. And all the division teams are run first teams. We have to be much more stout against the run than the last couple of years. If we want to reach our goals. 

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

If nothing else, he was a very disciplined DE who set the edge well -- and could be a nice mentor in those regards to our young DEs who struggled in that capacity last year.

Would still like to acquire a genuine pass rusher though.

Groot did a good job setting the edge. Others not so much

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I mean, if he wants to come for peanuts and be our replacement to Efe Obada - okay. But we need something strong opposite Rousseau. Signing Lawson, Re-signing Hughes or Addison (at this stage in their careers), Epenesa, or Basham is not the answer. But I'm okay with Lawson being part of the 3 man rotation with Epenesa and Basham outside of the Starting 2 though.

Obada can play all 4 spots, perhaps he can  play where Phillips was?

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Why is it everytime FA is about to start I feel like Beane is at Wal-Mart standing over the DVD clearance bin rummaging through jewel cases trying to find a bargain. 

Our team is really close and windows don't stay open very long. Take a chance like the Rams and acquire difference makers to get us over the top. 

10-15 years from now nobody's gonna remember how well you managed the cap. What we will remember and cherish is that year we finally got that Lombardi in the trophy case.

Well, because there is a hard cap in the NFL and teams paying $40+M per year for their QB have to be frugal in other areas.  This talk-show/internet idea of “all-in in the window” is bunk.  There IS value in being a consistently competitive team.  I think that DOES maximize your opportunity to win 1 SB.  The idea of pushing all chips in for one season sounds enticing, but one key injury or bad break can derail that championship chase and then next season you fall off paying the price for being “all in”.

i would MUCH rather they field a consistently good team for several years under Allen than blow that signing expensive FAs for one shot and then blow up the team due to cap hits following years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jlgarsh said:

Obada can play all 4 spots, perhaps he can  play where Phillips was?

Dude, no. Obada was a nice little story that people got excited about. But the hype was a lot of sizzle but no steak, outside of the one game against the Panthers. He slid inside a number of times in a reserve role and didn't provide a thing. Being our starting DT? C'mon. 

He's a Free Agent and we're not using cap space on a guy who's role can easily be replaced by a late round draft pick.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

I have always been a big fan of shaq and I think he had room to grow before. I was one of the few who wanted his 5th year picked up. I wouldn’t of signed him 3/30 million though lol. He’d obviously be coming back on the cheap after bouncing around and probably not much interest in him. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Cuz we are over the cap ?

FA doesn’t start till Wednesday officially. Negotiations start Monday.

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

Ralph is cheap

23 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Can set the edge in the run game, we have shown a weakness in that area against higher end run teams since his departure.   

Really true. Indy rings a bell and if they get Jimmy G or Mitch , they will be a playoff team we may need to go thru. I like Shaq, he was a guy who played with enthusiasm and I feel with the older vets like hughes et Al , we missed some of that last year and it showed as that D played flat like against lower level teams as Jacksonville. Sometimes you live and learn the grass isn’t always greener elsewhere and I bet Shaq would bring some gratitude , experience , and wanting to be back is about the growth process Mcd is always preaching about.

We could, and more importantly , HAVE done worse with some of the d line Beane has gone with ( Murphy for example) in FA and I wouldn’t mind seeing Lawson back being good against the run and he made some key sacks / PBU’s that are things we lack consistency with. I would take him over Epenesa any day because after disappearing again last year , I really have my doubts he becomes the impact guy they thought he would become when he dropped to us. He dropped for a reason , maybe other teams scouts were right about the issues they saw resulting in passing on him. Time will tell but having a vet now like Shaq is what Mcd has chosen previously over guys we would be in a position to get in this draft as there doesn’t seem to be great talent on the edge likely outside of the first round. 

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

My bad.  I usually read what people write in visible ink as opposed to the invisible kind.  Please…..show me where you said IF.

maybe that what you meant to write.

A 2 year prove it deal doesn’t benefit the player btw.  Say the player does prove it….he’s stuck playing another season at a discounted rate.  If the player doesn’t prove it, he’s cut.  Players sign 1 year prove it deals unless they have gtd money….and Shaq shouldn’t have anything gtd.  He’d be playing for a roster spot.  He’s jag depth.  

the “if” is implied by the sentence structure.  no need for the snark. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.