List of draft players Bills have met with

Pete

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It means by the time they have disqualified people on grounds of:

- not being good enough;

- health / injury red flags;

- not being a scheme fit;

- not being a character fit;

- not feeling that they have enough tape / information (which can still happen with some smaller school guys although the Bills are one of the more thorough teams);

They are left with about 100 players that they would draft. It isn't that they only bother putting guys that they think are day 1 or 2 picks on the board. They will have guys right down the round spectrum there. But people presume when teams look at their own boards they are looking at Daniel Jeremiah's best available list with some 300 odd players on it and in reality that is very rare. 

Got it and make sense.  You aren’t saying that they didn’t scout more than 100, but that they really are selective with who they put on the board.

They have had some pretty decent luck identifying late round and UDFA players who contribute.  What they are doing seems to be working.

6 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Got it and make sense.  You aren’t saying that they didn’t scout more than 100, but that they really are selective with who they put on the board.

They have had some pretty decent luck identifying late round and UDFA players who contribute.  What they are doing seems to be working.

Yes, absolutely this. Not every player they scout makes the board (or even close)!

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I can't recall off the top of my head but this regime has been pretty consistent in drafting guys they have brought in. I don't know this for a fact but I speculate that the Bills are one of the teams that have a relatively small draft board. New England are famous for having a small board, sometimes they only have 90-100 players on it, but I suspect the Bills are at the smaller end too. 

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Do you mean that they think there are only 100 or so draft-worthy prospects or do they exclude many early prospects because they are going to be gone early, aren’t scheme fits, don’t play priority position for current draft,…?

I can’t imagine them basically only having a top 100 board and flying blind after 3rd round.

3 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

It's not a top 100 board.  It's a list comprised of players projected in all the rounds but limited to 100 players that they deem as draftable.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It means by the time they have disqualified people on grounds of:

- not being good enough;

- not feeling that they have enough tape / information (which can still happen with some smaller school guys although the Bills are one of the more thorough teams);

They are left with about 100 players that they would draft. It isn't that they only bother putting guys that they think are day 1 or 2 picks on the board. They will have guys right down the round spectrum there. But people presume when teams look at their own boards they are looking at Daniel Jeremiah's best available list with some 300 odd players on it and in reality that is very rare. 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

One would think that a database of all available players could be created and that a team could "eliminate" players they know they don't want, then go through a series of "if/then" scenarios.  So if Bob Jones is who they want in the first round, and he gets snagged by another team before dropping to them, then the database would automatically tell them who their pick will be based on all of the previous picks and the "if/then" data they input previously.

Maybe teams already do this; I don't know.  But it seems like the logical way to go about it.

How many draft-eligible players are completely disqualified from consideration? Seems to me like it wouldn't be very many players.

Just my own speculation but if a person is viewed as "less-than-ideal" or "damaged goods"  based on the GunnerBill list:

- not being good enough;

Isn't it more likely that the player would simply be downgraded to a later round? For instance if someone has a 2nd round grade but is an injury or character concern, wouldn't the team simply put a 4th or 5th round grade on him in order to mitigate the risk? The idea is that you would consider selecting the player at a spot where the cost:benefit/risk:reward makes sense.

Seems like a downgrade would be a more common device than a disqualification. JMO.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

That list comes from Walter football. 

Then I looked around at interviews and gathered some info online and found some other names. 

So full compiled list I can find: 

Treylon Burks - WR Arkansas

Jordan Davis - DT Georgia 

Cade Otton - TE Washington 

Josh Thompson - CB Texas (Senior Bowl)

Jameson Williams- WR Bama

Malik Willis - QB Liberty

Garrett Wilson - WR OSU

Perrion Winfrey - DT Oklahoma

Roger McCreary - CB Auburn

Trent McDuffie - CB - Washington

Matt Araiza -  P San Diego State

Phidarian Mathis - DT Bama

Kaiir Elam - CB Florida

Max Borghi - RB Washington State

Jaquan Brisker - S - PSU

Brandon Smith - LB PSU

Cam Jurgens - C/G Nebraska

Logan Bruss - C/G Wisconsin

Chris Olave - WR OSU

John Metchie III - WR Bama

Kyler Gordon - CB Washington

Andrew Booth - CB Clemson

Zion Johnson - C/G Boston College

Arnold Ebiketie - DE PSU

Rachaad White - RB Arizona State

Lecitus Smith - G Virginia Tech

Dohnovan West - C/G Arizona State

Darrian Beavers - LB Cincinnati

Kenyon Green - C/G Texas A&M

Matt Ariaza is a beast and our Punter for the next 12 years. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

In addition to those guys, online I have seen that they had combine meetings with: 

Thanks for the info.

I re-sorted by position and quantity. Not surprising, C/G and CB lead the way, with WR not too far behind. And DT getting a little love too.

Kaiir Elam - CB Florida

Garrett Wilson - WR OSU
Chris Olave - WR OSU

Brandon Smith - LB PSU

Arnold Ebiketie - DE PSU
Jaquan Brisker - S - PSU

• Thank you (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thanks for the info.

I re-sorted by position and quantity. Not surprising, C/G and CB lead the way, with WR not too far behind. And DT getting a little love too.

Kaiir Elam - CB Florida

Garrett Wilson - WR OSU
Chris Olave - WR OSU

Brandon Smith - LB PSU

Arnold Ebiketie - DE PSU
Jaquan Brisker - S - PSU

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Is there a link that you are on referencing this from? They met with 45 at the combine alone but the list isn’t public and needs to be gathered by asking the players. A few more they met with off the top of my head are Matt araiza, Trent mcduffie, Chris Olave, Roger McCreary

top 30 visits are most meaningful. I assume those are back in the facility again after being virtual last 2 years?

I think I saw Astro post a running list on Twitter.

43 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I think I saw Astro post a running list on Twitter.

Astro has a lot of data - such as how many games the Bills scouted in person for the players and who was there (ie Beane)

example -

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

In addition to those guys, online I have seen that they had combine meetings with: 

Kaiir Elam - CB Florida

Jaquan Brisker - S - PSU

Brandon Smith - LB PSU

Chris Olave - WR OSU

Arnold Ebiketie - DE PSU

Lot of C/G in that list.

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Is there a link that you are on referencing this from? They met with 45 at the combine alone but the list isn’t public and needs to be gathered by asking the players. A few more they met with off the top of my head are Matt araiza, Trent mcduffie, Chris Olave, Roger McCreary

top 30 visits are most meaningful. I assume those are back in the facility again after being virtual last 2 years?

Why are top 30 visits most meaningful?

Weve got to make every pick count and I’m not kidding either. The draft is our main path from now on. They better hit on some low picks?

1 hour ago, billybrew1 said:

Why are top 30 visits most meaningful?

Weve got to make every pick count and I’m not kidding either. The draft is our main path from now on. They better hit on some low picks?

Top 30 is what they call the post Combine/pre draft extended interviews/individual workouts/physical by team doctors. Each team can bring in up to 30 non-local prospects. They are most meaningful because they are spending the most time and resources with these players for a reason. 

It doesn’t mean top 30 prospects on the big board or anything. They can bring in whoever at any position and they won’t all be top prospects. Sometimes they might bring in a teammate of someone they are really targeting in the 1st for example to get extra intel even if they aren’t interested in that player. Olave, Wilson and Williams are very tight knit - if they bring in all 3  I won’t be surprised if they are really just honed in on one of them.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/9/2022 at 9:12 AM, Gugny said:

One would think that a database of all available players could be created and that a team could "eliminate" players they know they don't want, then go through a series of "if/then" scenarios.  So if Bob Jones is who they want in the first round, and he gets snagged by another team before dropping to them, then the database would automatically tell them who their pick will be based on all of the previous picks and the "if/then" data they input previously.

Maybe teams already do this; I don't know.  But it seems like the logical way to go about it.

are you a web dev gugny?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.