As FA is about to begin and the cuts start happening, what's your idea plan for us?

Virgil

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

WR - Diggs (New Deal, even though the Mike Williams contract scares me) Davis (let him be our number 2) Beasley/Sanders (Gone), Slot/Speed (Draft or FA) #4 (combination of current remaining players

TE - I'm good (Hell no to Gronk)

Overall FA:

DE (Find the money for a known difference maker)

DB (#2 quality at best)

WR #3

OLB (Hybrid that can play inside or out)

Draft:

DB (1st three rounds)

DT (1st three rounds)

WR (1st three rounds

Rounds 4-7 (Punter, OLB, IOL, RB)

Good at TE?  We've got Knox.  Need another TE. 

TEs are almost never good as rookies, so this belongs in the FA bucket.  For most (myself included) Gronk is at the top of the list.  TEs are expensive, Clevelands TE2 Njoku just got franchised for $10.8M.  According to Spotrac Gronk is now up to $9.5M and our other main man Ertz is listed at a reasonable $7.6M estimate.

Otherwise, I'm with you.  Spend the big money on a FA pass rusher.  then TE2, and then find value at WR3 plus draft a WR early.  Maybe wait on RB and take a discounted, mad, vet RB.

26 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Not a chance we stick with just Basham, Groot and Epenesa. We’ll most likely lose Hughes/Addison and need a veteran pass rusher. A DT would also be a great get either in the draft or FA. I’d also like to re-sign WR Emanuel Sanders who I think would come cheap.

I don’t disagree, knowing McD.  But if we can’t have our 1st and two 2nd round DE’s handle a large portion of the snaps, then that’s a problem.  We should sign one FA, plus Obada, and that should be enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don’t disagree, knowing McD.  But if we can’t have our 1st and two 2nd round DE’s handle a large portion of the snaps, then that’s a problem.  We should sign one FA, plus Obada, and that should be enough. 

We’re in a SB window right now, you just cant hope that 2 second year players and a 3rd year player are going to turn into elite rushers overnight imo. I don’t think it’s a problem to slowly work your prospects into the lineup.

Chandler Jones, please. That should be our "big free agency splash."

After that:

Re-sign Isaiah McKenzie

Re-sign Ike Boettger 

Re-sign Levi Wallace

The rest of our FAs can go.

Cordarrelle Patterson. I would almost like him more than Chandler Jones. I just feel like he would be a perfect fit for our offense, who would be a reliable receiver, add to our run game, and be a viable K/PR guy. All the versatility McD/Beane love. Especially if we can't (or won't) re-sign McKenzie, he would become an immediate I'm[act player on this offense, IMO.

If Beane can work some salary cap magic after Chandler Jones, and/or Patterson (or if they are unattainable) one of the following:

CB Carleton Davis

Edge Randy Gregory (if we can't get Jones)

CB Casey Hayward Jr

TE Mike Gesicki, Yeah, I said it.

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I think mine is now officially go get DK if Seattle is tanking.   

I think I'd give our 1st and next year's 1st for him.  

All in.  

We could even turn around and trade him or Davis next year if need be.  

Only because there wasnt a slap you in the face button.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Coming off a season where we had the #1 defense and scoring points wasn't a reason for us losing to the Chiefs, I'm curious to know what everyone's ideal plan for these next few weeks and draft are, that you believe will get us over the hump.  I have more of a general idea, but can't get into the cap stuff as who knows what will happen.

Offense:

QB - I'm good

RB - I'm good (Motor earned the right to be the guy)

WR - Diggs (New Deal, even though the Mike Williams contract scares me) Davis (let him be our number 2) Beasley/Sanders (Gone), Slot/Speed (Draft or FA) #4 (combination of current remaining players

O-Line - Morse (Re-Work deal, 3 years), Dawkins, Bates, Williams, Ford (Good).  Mongo can go

D-Line - Reduce the rotation and sleep in the bed we made with all our recent picks.  DT (Oliver, Re-sign Phillips, Draft).  DE (Groot, Basham, AJ, FA DE).  I don't want to see more than 8 active D-Lineman on gamedays.  We just can't keep dumping into this position.  People need to step up.  Add two performers in FA or Draft, but anything else is mid-tier/Post June 1st)

LB - Milano (Good)  Dodson (I'm good for as little as he'll see the field in our nickel set).  Edmunds (Please do not extend.  I hope to MLB is a top 3 pick that can actually make play behind the line of scrimmage)

DB - Tre is not back until November and Wallace is FA.  Wallace (Re-sign if below 10 mil).  Jackson and Johnson (Good).  Draft DB in first 2 rounds.

S - Good

K - Good

P - FA or Draft (Cut Haack

Overall FA:

DB (#2 quality at best)

WR #3

Draft:

DB (1st three rounds)

DT (1st three rounds)

WR (1st three rounds

I stopped reading after hell no to Gronk. 

• Like (+1) 1

Fair.  I just trust the process and don’t know that I care who the names are.  There’s multiple guys at each position that could fill the void 

You "trust" the process...........which last year included trying to sign Gronk...........but you are adamant that they should not sign Gronk?

inigo-montoya-hello.gif

O-Line - Morse (Re-Work deal, 3 years), Dawkins, Bates, Williams, Ford (Good).  Mongo can go

Wow Virgil were we watching the same team?

I strongly disagree with you OL take. You'd do basically nothing. We need to upgrade OL and that is imo top off-season priority.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You "trust" the process...........which last year included trying to sign Gronk...........but you are adamant that they should not sign Gronk?

inigo-montoya-hello.gif

Only when we need a CB forearm shivered or a tide pod eaten. Definitely not for a USAA membership hookup. 

Just now, No_Matter_What said:

Wow Virgil were we watching the same team?

I strongly disagree with you OL take. You'd do basically nothing. We need to upgrade OL and that is imo top off-season priority.

They finished the season very strong 

35 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Chandler Jones, please. That should be our "big free agency splash."

After that:

Re-sign Isaiah McKenzie

Re-sign Ike Boettger 

Re-sign Levi Wallace

The rest of our FAs can go.

Cordarrelle Patterson. I would almost like him more than Chandler Jones. I just feel like he would be a perfect fit for our offense, who would be a reliable receiver, add to our run game, and be a viable K/PR guy. All the versatility McD/Beane love. Especially if we can't (or won't) re-sign McKenzie, he would become an immediate I'm[act player on this offense, IMO.

If Beane can work some salary cap magic after Chandler Jones, and/or Patterson (or if they are unattainable) one of the following:

CB Carleton Davis

Edge Randy Gregory (if we can't get Jones)

CB Casey Hayward Jr

TE Mike Gesicki, Yeah, I said it.

Gesicki got Franchised I believe 

45 minutes ago, Virgil said:

They finished the season very strong 

Williams was pretty bad still by the end of the season. Bates hasn’t proven much, Brown could take a step forward but he struggled in pass protection last year.

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

Coming off a season where we had the #1 defense and scoring points wasn't a reason for us losing to the Chiefs, I'm curious to know what everyone's ideal plan for these next few weeks and draft are, that you believe will get us over the hump.  I have more of a general idea, but can't get into the cap stuff as who knows what will happen.

Offense:

QB - I'm good

RB - I'm good (Motor earned the right to be the guy)

D-Line - Reduce the rotation and sleep in the bed we made with all our recent picks.  DT (Oliver, Re-sign Phillips, Draft).  DE (Groot, Basham, AJ, FA DE).  I don't want to see more than 8 active D-Lineman on gamedays.  We just can't keep dumping into this position.  People need to step up.  Add two performers in FA or Draft, but anything else is mid-tier/Post June 1st)

LB - Milano (Good)  Dodson (I'm good for as little as he'll see the field in our nickel set).  Edmunds (Please do not extend.  I hope to MLB is a top 3 pick that can actually make play behind the line of scrimmage)

DB - Tre is not back until November and Wallace is FA.  Wallace (Re-sign if below 10 mil).  Jackson and Johnson (Good).  Draft DB in first 2 rounds.

S - Good

K - Good

P - FA or Draft (Cut Haack

Overall FA:

DB (#2 quality at best)

WR #3

Draft:

DB (1st three rounds)

DT (1st three rounds)

WR (1st three rounds

There's a point between all in, mortgaging the future(Dk type plays) and middling 2000's Bills type wish lists.  At best this gets us about back to where we just were talent wise.  We need to be more aggressive.

I don't think we can say offense scoring points, isn't the reason we lost. How many drives in 2nd quarter did we stall out on. 13 seconds lost us the game... but those failed drives could've put the game away. I dont want to return with less or equal talent as last year.

(Especially with the Chargers trending upwards, and another premier qb moving to the AFC).

ALL GAS, NO BRAKES HOMIE

Edited by BillsShredder83

Alright, let’s see:

We go after either Chandler Jones or Bobby Wagner- 2 year deal. Not sure we can get both based on cost and other needs, but one of them comes here. If we get Wagner, we need to get some value for Edmonds- likely a 2nd or 3rd with his contract being on its last year. I’m going to assume a 3rd for the purpose of this draft below.

We target a low-to-mid tier WR in FA (ex. Kirk) for a 3 year deal if he can be afforded. Slot receiver to replace Beas. We also target a lower end Qb possibly if the price is right (Mariota, McCoy, Fitz, etc)

We try to re-sign Harry or Wallace. Still not sure if we can afford both, but one of them has to come back to fill a position of immediate need.

Extend Diggs and back-load the contract / bonus most of this year to free up cap. Extend Morse to a 3 year deal and lower his current cap hit. 

We already got $5m back from letting Klein go. I think all other FA’s walk. We cut or possibly trade Beasley, likely to the giants if anywhere. We shop Daryl Williams to a needy team so we can get him off our books at that price for a RT currently playing RG. For the sake of this argument let’s say these picks are for next year I guess.

Draft goes something like this depending on the above (assuming no trades, but I’d be happy to send a 6 & 7 to get back into the early 6th for the right player:

1. OL or DL look for either a G or C to replace Williams or Morse eventually, or a replacement for Star after next year.

2. CB : Absolutely need someone to come in after Levi leaves or to help the absence of Tre should we be fortunate to get Levi back.

3. OL or DL : whichever we didn’t address in round 1. 

*****3 if we trade Edmunds : WR to groom behind Diggs/Davis/Kirk

4. WR or TE : Deep WR draft will have talent. Maybe find a TE if there is value here and if my extra 3rd for Edmunds is correct.

5. P or S : Build for the future here and either get Araiza if he’s somehow still here or get a future replacement for either Poyer or Hyde when that day eventually comes.

6. P or WR/OL: if Araiza was gone in 5th, you get one of the others possibly worth drafting here. If P is set go look for a flyer on either WR or OL.

6. LB or QB: Flyer on a LB to fill in behind Dodson backing up MLB. QB to replace Fromm. 

7. CB: idk, draft someone with a funny name maybe?

if we do this, I think next year we absolutely target a MLB in round 1 to groom under Wagner.

Edited by KingBoots8

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.