Chandler Jones, Jordan Davis, DK Metcalfe, maybe Gronk

Ghs24mike

ya sorry,  i dont want Metcalf,  hes a quitter.   add to that our receiving corp is just fine.    work on the oline and dline,  and find another decent CB.

guarantee u wont hear much about Metcalf now that he doesnt have Wilson.

• Like (+1) 1

After listening to One Bills Live, today, I don’t think we are getting any of these guys...

The way the guys described it made it sound like we need to clear $20 million in cap space just to break even- given the $6 million we are over the cap, the $8 million for draft picks, and the $5 million buffer we will need throughout the season, just in case...

...Yada Yada Yada- something tells me we are going to be in for a bunch of comp picks next year...

Edited by JaCrispy

Just now, Mango said:

Buffalo is estimated at $40M under the cap next season, We will end up eating some of that just to get through the 2022 draft. Think about that. Just to be allowed to sign rookies, we have to cut, restructure, and borrow against next years money. 

You make a lot of good points, and there is a limit of what you can do, but your numbers MIGHT be off (and that's not to mention the fact that we don't know what the cap will be next year and it's expected to rise by quite a bit), and while this year's signings, rookies, and restructures will move it up, you omit the fact some of the cuts THIS year will also bring it down. Star, Feliciano would be over 10m less against cap as I understand it and if we cut DWil, that's another 7m potential.

OTC had 2022 at 6.6m over before Beane confirmed that as his numbers today. They have next year at 53m under and given the almost definite cuts, that's 64m. Yes, that will be eaten up by new contracts and restructures will also add to it. They're not going to be a ridiculous player, but they could make a few moves, even a "splash" move (whatever that means), and likely still be in shape to restructure and have enough to hold on to most if not all of the players you mention. Extending Oliver, since we just picked up his 2023 season, would in fact likely significantly LOWER our cap.

3 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

You make a lot of good points, and there is a limit of what you can do, but your numbers MIGHT be off (and that's not to mention the fact that we don't know what the cap will be next year and it's expected to rise by quite a bit), and while this year's signings, rookies, and restructures will move it up, you omit the fact some of the cuts THIS year will also bring it down. Star, Feliciano would be over 10m less against cap as I understand it and if we cut DWil, that's another 7m potential.

OTC had 2022 at 6.6m over before Beane confirmed that as his numbers today. They have next year at 53m under and given the almost definite cuts, that's 64m. Yes, that will be eaten up by new contracts and restructures will also add to it. They're not going to be a ridiculous player, but they could make a few moves, even a "splash" move (whatever that means), and likely still be in shape to restructure and have enough to hold on to most if not all of the players you mention. Extending Oliver, since we just picked up his 2023 season, would in fact likely significantly LOWER our cap.

I just pulled from spotrac. There is some fluctuation for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

id love metcalf, but not if it cost us resigning oliver or davis, but i suppose there may be a way.

number one thing for me this offseason is chandler jones.  i think he can be gotten for a reasonable level given how good he is.  he's exactly what we need.  

Just now, JaCrispy said:

After listening to One Bills Live, today, I don’t think we are getting any of these guys...

The way the guys described it made it sound like we need to clear $20 million in cap space just to break even- given the $6 million we are over the cap, the $8 million for draft picks, and the $5 million buffer we will need throughout the season, just in case...

...Yada Yada Yada- something tells me we are going to be in for a bunch of comp picks next year...

They already released Klein, so that gets it to 1.5m over. Beasley is 6.1m right there. So, that's 4.6 under. Feliciano is 3.3m, that's 7.9m under, Haack is 1.2, that's 9.1m, Star post-June is 4.1m, so that's 13.2m, Cody Ford 1.5m (honestly, I'd keep him and see if he has a good pre-season and maybe get something in trade), so that's 14.7m, Andre Smith is 1.1m, so that's 15.8... and those are all cuts that other than arguably Beasley, don't really hurt the core team. There's still a lot of restructures and extensions and salary payouts possible, many of them clearing 10m each. Based on OTC, I was pretty easily able to get down to over 70+ under. DWill gets you under 20m if he doesn't agree to restructure.

Now, as many have mentioned, you don't want to do all of those b/c they will hamper you for any 2023 or 2024 moves. Also, some of them would require the player agreeing. And OTC doesn't know everything so it's not much better than Madden to a degree. Also, Beane has his own plans and may want to be prudent. This is a team that's a Super Bowl contender if not favorite to make it there even if we do nothing but just draft at our current spots, and have a lot of players who could make huge improvements next year. 

As for comp picks, as much as I'd like some players back, there's a scenario I'd love where they make a couple big signings, but let the rest walk and Trubisky and Wallace could conceivably bring back pretty decent comps.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Mango said:

Here is my biggest problem with your post. You speak in ambiguities. Like we are quibbling between the difference in understanding between "to have a shot" and "no chance". 

What you didn't lay out is how we get it done, and what the cost is. 

Where do we get the money from Chandler Jones and Gronk? What players do we flat out cut to make room? Who do we restructure, and what casualties are you willing to take from the 2023 roster? 

Buffalo is estimated at $40M under the cap next season, We will end up eating some of that just to get through the 2022 draft. Think about that. Just to be allowed to sign rookies, we have to cut, restructure, and borrow against next years money. 

So when you say trade a 1st for DK, I assume you mean an extension as well. The market was just reset today at $20M AAV. Just to make that move alone, and get through the draft, the Bills are down to $15M for 2023.

To grab Jones and Gronk we will drop drop current players, and borrow against next years money. Which means we most likely don't re-sign a combination of Knox, Singletary, Oliver, Poyer, Jackson. Dane Jackson is actually a big one because in your scenario we most certainly cannot afford Wallace. Which is fine, but we cannot cut bait with all of our DB depth. Especially if there is a good chance we walk from Poyer. Which again, in your situation, becomes a likely casualty. 

Interesting you are big on this when you are so pro Edmunds sticking around because we couldn't afford. 

All great questions. I am struggling to find the article I read where we can make room for about 26-27 million in cap space this year through cutting some players, extending others, asking some for pay cuts.

See if we can sign Chandler for 15 mill a year, we dont worry about extending DK (he is a luxury one year rental at 4 million), and we sign Gronk to a one year deal. 

Cut Klein, Matekavich, Haack for example.  

Restructure Diggs- give him an extension and lower his cap hit for this season 

Extend Morse to lower the cap hit for this season

Release Star after June 1

Trade Cole Beasley

Extend Hyde as well and lower the cap hit for this season

Williams gets a pay cut

Feliciano gets cut 

Extend Tre White and lower his cap hit

Wallace doesnt come back, same with Phillips, and same with Mckenzie unfortunately. 

The game here is to lower the cap hit for next season and ride the salary cap up in the coming years. Of course we are borrowing from the future, but we can afford to do that in this window we have now. I don't believe for a second Beane is going to sit back and be conservative, and he is saying all the right things. 

Joe Schoen let the cat out of the bag a little bit saying that we will have room. 

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe Gronk?  What?  Any good dream scenario should be starting with Gronk.  At a paltry $8M, he's a bargain.  He was probably the person that came and saw Beane at the combine.

Next add either C Jones or Von Miller.  Just need one of the premier pass rushers.  Expensive but needs to be done IMO.

Then with Gronk on board the Bills can say No to all the high priced WRs.  Decent WRs are getting $20M now - see M Allen.  Draft one early - J Williams comes to mind.  Get him up to speed during the year and then get close to that $20M production for a rookie contract for the next 3-4 years.  Do an early season bridge with a McKenzie or Andy Isabella type.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ghs24mike said:

These are the moves that need to be made to have a shot at the championship. 

All doable. Certainly a fantasy but hear me out. 

Send a 2023 first round pick to Seahawks for DK Metcalfe

Sign Chandler Jones

Give up as many picks as it takes to move up for Davis this year. Then find picks and trade up again to get a top CB. Who cares if we only draft two guys. 

Then we let Phillips walk, Levi walk, Beasley, Mckenzie, Feliciano, Starr all gone. 

Restructure Diggs and extend, restructure Tre and extend, extend and lower cap hit for Edmunds, extend Morse, extend Oliver with a lower cap hit for next season. 

We would have almost no holes and might even be able to sign Gronk. 

Are you high?  Can you pass that spliff over this way please?  Pretty please????

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:
3 hours ago, Ghs24mike said:

What makes you think the Seahawks would accept a 2023 1st which is treated as a 2nd for compensation purposes? That's crazy talk.

Maybe that type of bullcrap works in Madden but it damn sure isn't working in the real world.

People need to get it through their head that Madden is exceptionally unrealistic in many ways and stop going to their franchise modes to see what type of trades they could pull off and then parrot them on the board as realistic. It's not. Not even close.

Because a 1st next year when there will be better draft options a qb, would be better then a 1st this year in my opinion. The Seahawks without Wilson in that division could be in line for a top 5 pick next year.

Then add 2 more 1s and 2 more 2nds and that sounds like a nice start to a rebuild. 

2 hours ago, Purplebulldog said:

Is Zac Ertz available?

Actually Ertz is a FA.  Spotrac puts him at a reasonable &7.6M.  I'd rather have Gronk but now Spotrac raised Gronk's estimate up to $9.5M. 

With Geiski, Schultz, and Njoku (what is Cleveland doing?) all getting franchised for $10.8M the market for TEs is heated.  I hope Gronk will still honor his home town discount.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.